01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend Drinking Thread [12-14 Feb 21]

Absolutely, it’s perfect for a winter evening. I thought it was a bargain at its price

1 Like

This one for this weekend. First bottle from a case of 12.

18 Likes

On the beer last night fresh from keg into growler, an APA with Cascade and Centennial hops called 1776 from local microbrewery Ealing Brewing. Bitter pine and grapefruit with a bit of caramel body, absolutely loved it. Tasted of my very first sip of Sierra Nevada way back when. Continuing on a theme with brisket nachos… Happy Friday!

25 Likes

Opened one of my regular VFM wines last night:

This is such a good value for money wine to get this level of complexity and concentration for £5.95 is extraordinary. I mean it’s not £26s worth of value but it’s certainly more than £6s worth! Seems almost wrong that one of the reasons for opening a low price bottle is that a good chunk of it will be going into a lentil cottage pie tonight!
25 Likes

Glorious Peter Lauer Kabinett last night (fass 8, 2013) - thus far my 2nd favourite kabinett after JJ Prum, although plenty still on my ‘must try’ list - gorgeous, real tension of acid and slight sweetness, delicate fruit, minerality…

11 Likes

Is it completely dry?

Dme. Soumade Rasteau 2012 - last of the EP from that year. Lovely mature S Rhône flavours when opened but actually faded really quickly and became quite disjointed with the alcohol coming through. I have it in the eto so will see if it’s recovered - time to drink up anyway. This probably does 10 years or more comfortably in warm years. It was £6 a bottle IB anyway so no complaints.

11 Likes

This yesterday evening and it was exactly as billed. Dark fruit with smooth tannins and a bit of smoke later in the evening. Nice balance. Came in a mystery case so feels like a winner.

16 Likes

Yes indeed. Typically citrussy Clare Valley riesling, which works well with the sort of spicy SE Asian we eat quite a lot of.

A favourite Bacchus of mine with some homemade Sweet and Sour Chicken. Very nice

18 Likes

3rd Bottle from a W/S 2016 Dönnhoff mixed six. Beeswax, preserved lemon, stones and spice on the nose. Balanced acidity and a lovely oiliness to the texture, pretty good length as well. Finishes dry with a touch of salinity.

Lovely!

21 Likes

I found a bottle of the Society’s Sicilian Reserve Red, 2015, which we had last night. Still very fruity and quite rich, a bit plummy to go with carbonara sauce but pleasant to sup afterwards.

Tonight we’ll have a glass of Chablis Les Grands Terroirs 2017, the first of 6 from EP.

Then, with some venison, I decided it was high time to open this

Still lots of depth of colour, a nose that I find too complex to describe properly, balanced fruit and acidity on the palate, will be looking forward to this evening😃

26 Likes

Real family output too. Always remember grandad sitting outside the Paziols winery watching the world go … very slowly bye.

3 Likes

Not quite what I am drinking right now but a short comment in the FT Sat 13th in the Jancis Robinson Column that was mostly about Reids wines

Boobbyer’s favourite drink at home is seriously old non vintage champagne - “Wine Society champagne with age is fantastic”

Perhaps I need to develop my deferred gratification muscles :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another bottle from my rapidly dissapearing mystery case.

New one to me, and while it’s way too cold at the moment, the initial nose is already fantastic, blackberry, black cherries, vanilla oak and some spice.

This is going to go with an Ottolenghi menu lifted wholesale from @robertd last week. At some point soon I need to venture outside to light the BBQ for the lamb :cold_face: :cold_face: :cold_face:

21 Likes

Too lazy to cook this evening, so we put together an assortment of leftovers from the freezer - mostly Mediterranean stuff. To go with said assemblage, a 2017 Stellenbosch Syrah, from Waterkloof:

Deep ruby in the glass, with a faint hint of brick on the rim, the nose can be nothing other than Syrah; it’s floral (violets, pot-pourri), with dark fruit notes of plums, dark cherries and blackcurrants, it’s also peppery with a touch of wood smoke and smoked bacon.
On the palate it starts on a ripe fruit note (damsons, blackcurrants), but evolves into something more savoury and cool climate-like. There’s a herbaceous note - maybe due to the stems - as well as smokiness. Tannins are chalky and supported by good acidity and the finish leaves a pleasant medicinal note. The whole ensemble is rather moreish! :ok_hand:

This is a mid-price Syrah (we paid £15.99), but such a well-made, balanced and enjoyable wine that I’m motivated to look for the next level up of South African Syrah. If anyone has any recommendations - I will take note. I definitely need more South African reds in my life, regardless of varietals/blends. They never cease to surprise and delight! :heart_eyes:

Happy weekend! :clinking_glasses:

23 Likes

That is dedication in this weather

7 Likes

Columella? :innocent:

2 Likes

Valentines eve treat. Last bottle of Senejac Haut Medoc 2008. Just lovely, soft, creamy texture. Lots of lovely strawberry flavours and a looooooooong finish. Quite different from our previous bottle which was more oaky and less elegant. I’ll order some more when it’s next in stock

23 Likes

Bin 006 tonight. Somehow I find myself running desperately short of pinot noir…

8 Likes