01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking thread [11th-13th October 2019] How well do we know each other

Had friends round for lunch yesterday, was catering for vegetarians, pescatarians and omnivores so laid on a range of Indian dishes and curries.

Nothing too spicy, but a few different styles so kept it juicy at first with this

and this for white drinkers

The Beaujolais was great, easy-drinking match with lots of fruit, food-friendly acidity and gentle tannins. Only had a brief sip of the riesling, but wasn’t paying attention (stirring too many pots), luckily there is probably a glass left in the fridge so can report back.

These were friends we don’t see very often and after taking advantage of a break in the drizzle to walk and stretch little legs, the lunch visit carried on into the afternoon and we cracked open another bottle:

This was great, picked up from Vivino for around £15. Was my second (of 2 :frowning: ) - the 1st died off the next day so we determined not to give it that opportunity. Very generous, a real depth of flavour with a heady mix of fruit and secondary characteristics, which distracted me from the fact that the lunch/afternoon visit was now a supper visit and suddenly there was no more red wine open so resolved that issue by opening this

Which we drank for supper with crisps while the kids had something a little more substantial. It was part of (3 different wines in a 6-box) an advance-purchase offer from Naked. If you believe the blurb, the winemaker wanted to do something a bit different but needed a certain amount of people to commit to buying in advance. Was (is) interesting and enjoyable. Not far off the colour of the Fleurie, perfumed and aromatic on the nose. Ripe, red fruits and a touch of spice, refreshing acidity and very low tannin. Perfect with crisps.

I now tend to do market segmentation…;while I also respect genuine allergies and ethical choices, I’m a bit less tolerant of faddists…:wink:

We’re making mackerel carbonara tonight, so opted for a white with a bit of texture:

We experienced a bit of Albariño-fatigue over the summer, having spent some time in Galicia trying various (and wonderful) ones, but enough time had passed, and this being the Portuguese take on the great grape, it’s also a bit different.

There’s a whiff of gunflint on the nose, followed by citrus fruit (orange, mandarin) pear and peach. The skin contact is evident in the more robust texture/mouthfeel, and there is a wonderful freshness to the citrus fruit and ripe peach notes. The finish is quite long, and it leaves a zesty but also herby (I thought tarragon) note as it fades. Delicious, and would probably be even more interesting in a couple years’ time.

Happy Sunday, all! :clinking_glasses:

Mackerel carbonara,? There is a lot going on there! Wine will need to have character…

Was it gutsier than the Galician version? Sounds it…

Yes, agree but…

They are very old and very good friends who now live in Australia and if we see them every 2 years we can count ourselves lucky. I was very happy to cook 7 different dishes as it meant I got out of my comfort zone (volume and variety!) and tried some tasty new dishes.

Yes, I know - it sounds a bit mad, but it is SO delicious…! It’s a Jamie recipe, and we’ve made it quite a few times.

You’re right - the wine to match has to have some guts to stand up to old stinky Mackerel; I usually pair it with an SB or a Gruner, but I feel this one is just right! It’s slightly different to the Galician examples, slightly less in-yer-face, if it makes sense. But acidity is still high, and the zestiness will work well with the dish, I have no doubt.

A bit late posting here, but the Southwest Hampshire Wine and Food Appreciation Group (q.v. Local Tasting Groups) had its latest event on Friday night and we thought you all should know about it!

It was a tapas meal, with an implicit challenge to try to match the food with something other than the obvious Spanish wines, which made for some interesting combinations.
The only Spanish wine of the evening was

to accompany roasted almonds (fresh from a Spanish-resident relative) and olives. We remarked on the extra depth of the en rama style as opposed to normal filtered sherry, though this one did not have the complexity of other en rama sherries we have tasted.

The first tapas round proper was a selection of Spanish charcuterie and cheeses (Manchego and Iberico). We had three wines to compare: a 2015 Beaujolais, Morgon Grand Cras (a particular terroir, not a misprint) as well as

and, as a wild card, a Tesco Finest Lambrusco Reggiano. The last was quite sweet with a lot of cherry fruit and spices. It probably needed somewhat spicier charcuterie and did not really match the cheeses. The Morgon fared much better but it matched the Manchego better than the Iberico. The surprise hit of this round was, however, the Chilean Riesling. This one was a long way from the German style, but we thought that some of the Australian rieslings would offer a point of reference. It was a deep and quite complex wine, in which you could just find the characteristic Riesling petrol note if you were looking for it. It proved an excellent match for the food.

The second round included padròn peppers, tuna empanadillas, broad beans with bacon, and ham and cheese croquetas. We had a 2015 vintage of:

as well as

The Martinborough Pinot Noir was an excellent match with the peppers. The Tannat Rosé was quite light and sharp, and almost pétillant – again a surprise because although Uruguay does very good things with the tannat we had not previously met a rosé version. This proved to be a “horses for courses” round; both wines worked reasonably overall, but with clear edges on different dishes.

Round three involved chorizo in red wine, lamb meatballs in spicy tomato sauce, and frittata. We had:

and the 2016 vintage of

Both were very good wines, but we thought the Montepulciano coped better with the (somewhat higher than planned) level of spice in the food.

We finished with a Torta de Santiago, offering a rather more straightforward match. A Blandy’s 15 year old Bual Madeira and

both worked wonderfully with the torta in very different ways.

Another excellent event for the Group!

When does the ‘pop up’ open then? Easier to do with Indian and in the summer…I had my last foray with the BBQ last night (no cooker space!) and got soaked!! Wistfully thinking back a couple of months to sitting outside with six dishes, fish, veggie and meat…:wink:

Just as well you put the ‘Wine and Food’ bit in there :rofl:

Yeah, I was wistfully looking out of the window while roasting the cauliflower and grilling the chicken skewers in the oven. The rain was filthy

Never, ever…

I only eat Mackerel that I’ve caught myself, or where I can look it and the fishmonger in the eye…

After catching quite a few last year in one short session, I got a bit ‘scunnered’ having gutted and filleted about 50 of them. None went to waste! Marathon hot smoking session and a half dozen barbequed fresh with garlic lemon and bay.

This evening a trusty

Always a pleasure.

Very nice one…just think you could have had about 7ml of the fabled Rousseau for that! If you were lucky!!

Nice tasting.

I’ve enjoyed the Te Tera and the tannat rose fairly recently. Got a bottle of the Etna Rosso in the rack awaiting the selection finger of doom so great to hear that’s a good’un.

I’ve also been staring at the auslese on my wish-list for a little while. Contemplating using the vintage being the birth year of our son as justification, but then I can’t drink it for quite some time.

Why wait? Get two bottles - one to “test” now and the other to keep! You won’t want to be disappointed in however many years time!

Drinking wine by the teaspoonful would certainly be a healthy option!

Last night a rather hot chilli, so no point in anything too fancy. A simple lightish fruit forward Beaujolais style pinotage. Simple berry and tobacco leaf fruit:

For lunch a rustic casserole with this, always a fun drink:

Tonight our final bottle of this lovely Kabinett. Some hints of maturity, honey and stones and marzipan:

Not much fun though…and you would have a guilt complex as to how much Albarino you could have had…

Tonight we had spanish pork with olives (an old Delia Smith classic) with the rest of the Thymiopoulous. Very good on a dreich autumn night here.

Well, I fail the test…! Ours is Scottish. Although on occasion we do buy locally caught ones from a fishmonger in Lewes.

I remember catching mackerels years ago with my ex, on a boat just off Brighton pier. It was a ‘team building exercise’ organised by the ex’s work. Good fun it was, and probably the tastiest mackarels I ever had, stuck on the BBQ that same evening… Oh, if we could all hunt and gather…

Mackerel. Love them, but only if caught off the beach and straight on the fire then into bread and proper butter. Gorgeous.

Pity they’ve been in serious decline for a long while.