01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend drinking thread [11th - 13th December 2020]

Starting this thread with some entry-level Loire from Domaine Laporte. This will be consumed throughout the weekend. Domaine Laporte makes some fantastic wines. Besides this entry-level SB, I also really like Le Rochoi, Terroir de Silex, which has a depth on the nose and palate I find exquisite.

8 Likes

Have a bottle of their Pouilly Fume La Vigne de Beaussoppet 2017 in my rack, now more excited about it as I’ve not tried any of their wines yet!

2 Likes

Looks fabulous: https://www.laporte-sancerre.com/en/wines/8/la-vigne-de-beaussopet

2 Likes

It’s a very 2020 moment when the weekend drinking thread starts before 9am on Thursday

17 Likes

This year, the weekend never ends, in fact. Or, to put it another way, everyday feels like a weekday.

2 Likes

I like “soft transitions” where you gradually ease into the weekend thread without much fanfare or a big bang announcement, but some prefer to draw red lines and go for a hard-exit approach: start the thread 1 minute past midnight from Thursday to Friday. We live in a divided country / community.

:wink:

10 Likes

That.

It’s the year where noise cancelling headphones and sustained periods of focus on work feel like a rest.

5 Likes

Looking forward to this trio alongside our Northcote At Home meal this evening.

37 Likes

Following the rave review by @NW3Andre would be rude not to try this. I have to agree with his assessment. :+1: :+1: :smiley:

Have a great weekend everyone.

24 Likes

Wow, what a line up. Did they send you Alka-Seltzer too?

6 Likes

Very kind of you.

3 Likes

Another weekend, another Riesling… I’m probably 5 - 10 years early opening this but I’ve got a couple more which I’ll hide somewhere for a few years!

19 Likes

Celebrating good news as a good friend who was made redundant has landed a new job. Hadn’t realised how much of a celebration it was until I looked it up on Wine-Searcher :slightly_frowning_face: - Mortet Gevrey VV 2006.

Meaty style of Burgundy with a fair whack of tannin underpinning dark plum fruit. The main quality giveaway is the length which is remarkable. Good wine but if I was buying now I wouldn’t :wink:

33 Likes

This week I have mainly been drinking The Society’s Mature Medium Sweet Oloroso Blend, in an effort to get in the Christmas spirit.

With my post-covid tastebuds slowly recovering I’ve also enjoyed this …

I usually find American wines have too much residual sweetness for me, and Pinot can be hit or miss. This however, is rather nice. Plenty of fruit and complexity, sweetness just about under control. Very gluggable, £14 from Majestics.

22 Likes

I love this. Too young? Well maybe for some, but I don’t think the 2015s really shut down much. A hint of sweetness on the front, easy and laid back through the middle palate and finishes with a bit of dryness and lift from some acidity. Very deft, some might moan about the qpr, but that would miss the point. The kind of wine that makes the drinker feel that the world is okay. It is ‘obi ocha’, a clean heart.

23 Likes

Currently waiting for this to open up. Very classy and ultra smooth, the depth of flavours is amazing. Too many aromas to try to describe, on a league of its own.

39 Likes

Going for posh fish and chips for a Fishy Friday, accompanied by some yummy unoaked Burgundy Chardonnay. Happy Friday, everyone! :clinking_glasses:

25 Likes

Second night. Spritzy and lively mandarin flavours on the first. More settled, primarily citrus notes tonight. Very drinkable, but I can’t help feeling it’s a bit middle of the road; Riesling for people who don’t like Riesling. Lacks concentration next to the comparably priced Gunderloch or even TWS Rheingau

18 Likes

Fizzy Friday and we’re starting with this which I received in a mystery case

It takes quite a panning in the reviews, but I quite like it. It’s got a distinct yeasty and cream soda aroma which I like a lot, the taste is more sharp dry lemon. I suppose it’s perhaps considered overpriced which might cause the poor reviews, you can probably get better offerings (more rounded) at a similar price.

But all good with me. Cheers!

21 Likes

I find myself saying that about Burgundy most times I open a bottle…

7 Likes