01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend drinking thread 10-13 April 2020 - Easter extravaganza

Does the weekend start here? You bet it does.

Beer and a pasty in the garden. Enjoying the sunshine :sun_with_face:

Hope you’ve all got a great weekend lined up, anyone planning (already enjoying) a glass of something nice?

10 Likes

Good Friday?

We have these chilling for tonight’s Chinese style salmon.

We tried Gewurztraminer for the first time at a tasting with Newcastle Wine School earlier in the year, and really enjoyed it. Will be comparing Old world / New world tonight.

10 Likes

Sun refusing to peek through here. My birthday in addition to being Good Friday so double celebration. Opening some Paul Bara later. Musar 1999 decanted for some steak.

Happy Easter and stay home!

27 Likes

I confess this is a brand new DOC to me:

It seemed to arrive in the house at Christmas, either as a present or a brought-but-never-opened.

Proper spumante. Pear-and-citrus nose, more appley on the palate, slightly metallic, at the sweeter end of the brut spectrum.

S’okay. Good fun in the garden on a hot day. We’ll finish the last of the Marguet Shaman later, as it demands a bit more attention from the user.

12 Likes

The start of a rather odd Easter. Lunch with the family by zoom. The wine was good, grassy and lemony on the nose. Fresh flavour, not particularly long. Very good

16 Likes

I am on a beer too, a nice Inveralmond Golden Ale. No pasty, just crisps! Reward for a couple of hours hard graft at allotment. All the tatties in now, and some tidying up done.

9 Likes

We enjoyed a Loch Lomond Pale Ale for lunch, after our toils also, light and very refreshing on a warm day down south.:beers:

6 Likes

Looks like you are going to have a very happy birthday on the wine front! Cheers!

4 Likes

We are going with this tonight with some rosemary marinated salmon fillets, new pots and purple sprouting.

Never had it before but we like both the grape varieties involved so curious to taste it.

9 Likes

My Easter bottle is the Society’s White Rioja - will be an adventure as neither I nor my other half have ever had it (and weren’t even aware that white Rioja existed until fairly recently). It’ll be an odd Easter as my mum was supposed to be with us but we’ll have to raise a glass to her over Skype…

7 Likes

I’ve never had New World gewurztraminer (love Alsatian though) so will be interested to know how you think they compare!

2 Likes

Enjoy. There are some spectacular white riojas available.

3 Likes

All this excellent talk of Barolo has me starting the long weekend with this:

Probably this for Easter Sunday, and the rest remains up in the air:

22 Likes

Venison sausage casserole with the last bottle of this tonight

Slightly farmyardy/bretty on opening but not too overtly so. Nice cool dark fruit and quite light bodied compared to some Cornas.

15 Likes

Pure comfort consumption tonight (burger n bdx probably not a traditionalists choice ). 2010 bdx imho is definitely for keeping (diplomatically… :sweat_smile:) this ‘level’ Graves was delicious. Part of a mini resupply delivery I got from Flagship wines in StAlbans midweek (I highly recommend them - soz hopefully not breaching a blog guideline by saying that) whilst waiting for the TWS reopening…

20 Likes

Gorgeous - was going to have this at my pesach seder but felt a bit coldy and didn’t want to waste it so opened tonight instead - beautiful

18 Likes

I once went to a delightfully named vinyard near Mons in Provence called Chateau Selves. The wine was nice, but it wasn’t THAT exciting.

3 Likes

Burger and Bordeaux sounds great!

4 Likes

How was the Barolo?

1 Like

Found and opened a bottle of Perrin Cotes du Rhone Reserve Wine Society 2011 which I had forgotten about.
A stunning syrupy black fruit aroma on opening which seems over time to be turning more towards Wright’s Coal Tar Soap. Not that I have smelt this since childhood, but that’s what I think it smells like.
The taste is less powerful, more red and black fruits with a little tannic dryness in the mouth. Yes, it’s definitely quite a soapy smell. A bit strange; pleasant but maybe a bit past its best.

6 Likes