01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend drinking thread [10-12 May 2019]

weekend

I had a bottle of this Moulin à Vent. Marvellous, a bit of a revelation. There was a lot going on. My palate is not great, but I can say it was a truly interesting wine. I was reading that maturation in concrete vats is coming back and it seems justified here. It definitely needs decanted - there was a lot of sediment. I always do decant, and know not everyone agrees, but I think it gives an indifferent wine a wee push and gives a good wine a chance just to get a bit of air in it.

It’s quite different from some of the other Cru Beajolais that I’ve tried - I’m loving how they are so different from each other.

The problem about credit cards and the internet is that I found myself ordering another few bottles. And some Chateau Musar. Yum.

Wow, Robert, your culinary and presentation skills are very impressive! I would never put up a photo of food I had plated up. It usually tastes great but looks, shall we say, sub optimal. Respect!

The Chandlers Ford Wine and Food Appreciation Group (henceforth to be known as the Southwest Hampshire Wine and Food Appreciation Group) had its fifth event at ours on Friday night. It was a very successful evening, with good food, excellent matching wines and great company.

Aperitif

We all thought that this was a pleasant, easy-drinking bubbly, but that it lacked character and was rather expensive for what it was.

Starter: Smoked mackerel paté with beetroot salsa

Two wines for this.

1. Craggy Range sauvignon blanc 2013 was unlike any New Zealand sauvignon blanc I’ve ever tasted! The aging added an interesting depth and complexity to the wine, giving it more of the character of a classy slightly oaked chardonnay. I thought it was excellent with the pate, which was creamy rather than firm. Good also with the beetroot salsa and benefitted from the incorporation of apple in both parts of the dish.

This was a great dry riesling which managed well with the dish and was thought to be the better match by most of the group. For me, it didn’t match the mackerel quite as well as the sauvignon blanc.

Main: Slow-roasted pork belly, with kale with mustard sauce, and mashed potato and swede

Three wines to compare:

(though ours was the 2015 vintage)

The Paulettes was a lovely aged dry riesling which was thought by most to be best with the food, especially the crackling (a small glow of pride at getting that right!). I’m off to buy some of that but, on the night, I preferred the Wassmer pinot noir, for its strong structure and good tannins which counteracted the fattiness of the pork. The Chilean pinot noir was delightful by itself but seemed initially to be overwhelmed by the food. However, I found that it gained more pepperiness in the glass and stood up better to the food as time went on.

Cheese: Lancashire traditional creamy (Sainsbury’s PDO Beacon Fell) and Lancashire traditional tasty (Dewlay Special Reserve)

I’ve not been a fan of Lancashire cheese to date, but that’s possibly because I’ve had only the supermarket non-traditional types, so I felt it would be a good idea to try the traditionally-made versions. Certainly, they were a whole step up in quality and taste. The creamy cheese had more flavour than I expected, but the mature was a bit disappointing. Despite its longer maturation, it didn’t have a lot more to it than the creamy. What a pity I couldn’t get Grandma Singleton’s Traditional Tasty!

Two wines for these:

1. Sanchez Romate Amontillado sherry

This is a beautiful sherry, but it was too powerful for the cheeses. Perhaps with Grandma Singleton’s…?

Much to my surprise, this was perfect with the creamy cheese and nearly as good with the tasty. The acidity of the wine and the fattiness of cheese were a heaven-sent match.

Dessert: Rhubarb and ginger crumble with rhubarb ice cream

Further divergence of opinion here.

1. Wolfang Kohl riesling Auslese 2005
  2. St Stephan’s Crown Tokaji 5 puttonyos

Both fabulous wines but, for me, riesling is the perfect wine with rhubarb. Others felt that the Tokaji went better with the sweetness of the crumble and the ice cream.

A great night. Thanks to all for their contributions.

On Friday this:

Still going strong though starting to fade a little by day 2. Hoping TWS will release the 2012 in the next few months as only have a couple of bottles left.

This yesterday:

Was absolutely gorgeous. Didn’t decant, but opened a few hours prior to serving…lots of gorgeous red fruit, enough tannin to provide structure without being overpowering or unbalanced. Was an excellent match to some home-made burgers

I’ve been getting through some of the everyday reds recently.

This was very good last night with sirloin steak, after a long day umpiring.

It was the 2014 not 2015, but great balance of fruit, tannin and acidity. Very quaffable.

Previous two nights it was a Tempranillo Carinena blend from 2012 vintage, don’t have producer details as bottle now out. It was good too, some slightly burnt notes with the fruit, savoury and decent with lamb chops.

They had the 2012 on the list early last year, although they might have held some back for later release; I certainly felt at the time that it still had plenty of structure for the future. Fabulous wine though.

Ah, possible I missed it. Only picked up the 2011 last year. Hopefully there will be a 2013 release this year then!

That’s very kind Joy - I enjoy cooking, and try my best. What you don’t see is what we eat during the week when there’s less time to devote to it :wink:

Friday
Invivo Sauvignon Blanc 2018 (Marlborough NZ)
with grilled plaice, new potatoes, runner beans

Saturday
Went to Verulam Wine Tasting Club for tasting of 9 wines presented by Rachael Leech of SWIG.
Last wine was served blind. We all deduced it was a Burgundian styled Pinot Noir, but we didn’t get that the country was Bulgaria.

Sunday
Hush House Estate Traditional Method Sparkling Wine Brut NV (England)
Aperitif

Simonsig ‘Redhill’ Pinotage 2014 (Stellenbosch, South Africa)
with Lamb shanks, roast potatoes and parsnip, broccoli, savoy cabbage and the first of the broad beans from the garden – which I must now go and pick.

Making a Vietnamese take on duck l’orange tonight, the kitchen is full of lovely smells of star anise and ginger. Not unlike our wine, in fact!

Opened an Alsace favourite - 2016 Trimbach Pinot Gris Réserve:

A wonderful wine, though delicate and understated. Floral notes on the nose (acacia, honeysuckle) with peach, nectarine, pineapple even - and some honey. Similar notes on the (off-dry) palate, with a lovely ginger spice on the finish. Medium acidity, and a caressing mouthfeel - that lovely ‘oily’ texture you get with Alsatian PG and Gewurtz. Medium plus finish- I think it will make a lovely match to our Vietnamese duck.

Hope everyone is having a nice, sunny spring evening… :clinking_glasses: :sun_with_face:

Also drinking one of these tonight!

Agree with you, it is a lovely wine!

Really enjoying reading your posts. We’ll all living our best lives aren’t we?

After a run of ho-hum standards, a couple of wines which deserve a mention…

This Macon-Lugny was offered via a mailer and, weak individual that I am, I bit and very glad I did. This was everything you could want from a white burg. Not fancy, not fruity but extremely well balanced, lively, fresh with bite of salinity. Disappeared and left us crying for more.

Last night, this Ogier La Rosine Syrah VdP 2013 which massively overperformed.

This had a great bouquet, powerful, savoury, earthy and rich. Very much in the style of a good Hermitage. In the mouth this was silky, meaty and packed with detail. This has reignited my interest in N Rhones and the levels syrah can reach there. Last, and by some distance the best of the case.

This received a great write up in Decanter - and my own rating would place it even higher. Better than many a Barolo at double the price. Brilliant with tagliatelle Alfredo - I hope TWS stock this eventually- I would happily put a second case in reserves.

Tonight, I cooked lamb rumps, with Jersey Royals (mmm) and a paloise sauce.

We drank some 2011 Burlenberg from Marcel Deiss. If Alsace pinot noir is on the way up, this wine has been up there for some time. It’s a really serious pinot, done with the oaking just right - black cherry, classic pinot “cabbage”, liquorice, leather and burnt caramel on the nose; dark fruit, the acidity to cut the lamb, and quite firm but well integrated tannin giving a great length. The first of the 2011s that we’ve opened, and it has lots of years left in it. It’s a wine that we buy three of every vintage - drink two and build up a vertical. I now have a dilemma - should I hold on, or just drink the next 2011 this year, and move on to the 2012? Not a bad problem to have.

I think I would rather have been pouring fizz! Supporting Chelsea in Europe can be stressful!

This went down very well with seabass braised in Shaoxing wine and soy sauce. The skin contact effect is pretty subtle - definitely retains Sauvignon typicity, and lots of freshness.

Wow, some really lovely food and wine in the thread this week. Great stuff.

The Meursault and Saint-Joseph I was lucky enough to have were both excellent.

2011 might not be the best rated vintage for white burgundy but the Meursault really delivered although it’s difficult to find the descriptors to do it justice. Powerful, complex, intense with really good length will have to lazily suffice. And so aromatic you could faintly smell it whilst it was just sat in the glass. At its peak now ( for my taste ) it had more than sufficient structure to last a few years yet.

The Saint -Joseph ‘Paradis’ 2010 from Ferraton was the equal of any St-Jo I’ve had before, Still deeply coloured. Powerful nose of black berry fruits, a slatey mineral quality, oak, black pepper invited tasting. Similar flavours in the mouth, dense concentrated fruit, a serious ripe tannic structure with fresh acidity focusing and bringing everything into balance. Once again, this had impressive length of flavour. Ripe tannins evident on the grippy finish would indicate this is also good for a few years yet. And thankfully it didn’t taste hot or overly alcoholic despite its 15% ABV. £21 for an aged wine of this quality is tremendous value for money.