01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend drinking (5th- 7th March 2021)

Update on the Madiran. Really impressed with this. 2012 but still in the flush of youth. Can taste the Cabernet Sauvignon in the blend, nice black currants but also black cherries and ripe plums. A hint of smoke and spices, and a little dusty on the finish in a good way.

It will live forever at this rate. Still got got plenty of tannins though soft rather than mouth puckering. Definitely a food wine, or after food, rather than something to drink on its own. That’s our verdict anyway. Looking forward to the second half sometime over the next few days.

17 Likes

Opened another bottle from the a recent delivery tonight -Puiatti’s Ribolla Gialla. Lovely wine whose nose started out like a Pouilly Fume but rapidly took on stone fruit and nutty notes. Great on its own or with tapas.

Very pale. Hint of green/gold. Intense nose. Immediately reminiscent of a Pouilly Fume. Grass, mineral, gooseberry. Hint of peach and cream as it warmed. Medium palate. High acidity. Slightly nutty. Stone fruits. Apricot and nectarine. Ripe Russet apple. Hints of lavender. Medium finish.

21 Likes

One benefit of somewhat haphazard storage is not knowing exactly what’s there. This evening I found this bottle and thought it had already had a good life. The main grape is the autochtone Fer Servadou (=native, just in case).

Cork in extremely good condition, hard to believe it’s over 20 years old. Initially thought it was showing a bit of rusty fade but it’s actually pretty marginal (x2!). Red fruit, leather and menthol with a pleasant refreshing acidity. Plenty of flavour but somehow very light as well. Only 12% so perhaps that’s why. Obviously made just before global warming was widely discovered!

15 Likes

This here tonight, the front label is fab but doesn’t give much away…

…the back label is more informative but the fact that the producers address in Gevrey stands out more clearly than its almost camouflaged appellation does made me smile …

…anyway, it’s Cote de Nuits Villages 2014 from Jerome Galeyrand. Les Retraits is a vineyard in Comblanchien that is essentially an extension of Clos de la Marachale in Nuits St Georges separated by, what looks like, an arbitrary dividing line on a map ( and a wall too I’d guess ). From vines planted in 1925 and 1932, 25 to 30% whole bunch and fermented and matured in oak for 16 months ( up to 20% new ). Does it bear comparison with a Nuits 1er Cru though ?

Here goes, it’s everything I hoped for. Typically pale colour. A splendid nose of red fruits, compost, an autumnal walk in the woods, dried flowers and exotic spices. Medium body. beautifully savoury red fruited Burgundian flavours with light ripe tannins and fresh acidity to structure and balance with very good length of flavour. Absolutely spot on, I wish I’d bought more !

No wine from the Cote d’Or is good value for money these days, in my mind, but for £32 one could do a helluva lot worse.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Edit - forgot to mention it was a perfect match to a couple of roast guinea fowl legs, parmentier potatoes, glazed carrots and peas.

34 Likes

@Herbster That should be a belter Paul. CH NV ages a treat and what a base year. Enjoy.

1 Like

Just out of interest is it labelled as Braucol or Fer Servadou on the bottle?

On the back label it says “Le Fer Servadou, cépage autochtone du vignoble de Gaillac domine l’assemblage”.

1 Like

Interesting - Fer is traditionally called Braucol in the Gaillac region - I don’t think the producers of that bottle exist any more , as (if I remember correctly) all the co-ops in the area were bunched together at Labstide-de-Levis.

Actually, I’m wrong (the power of Google!), the Rabastens co-op is still there :smiley:

1 Like

St Aubin Clos de la Chateniere 2011 Lamy with grilled Dover sole.

Last bottle. Still very very good. Back then both the village and producer were still a bit overlooked and GV. Sadly not so now…

9 Likes

As a catholic you are tempting me to buy a bottle…but despite a Benedictine education I never quite got to grips with the essence of catholicism.

3 Likes

Thanks for the notes, they’re very helpful. I bought two, thankfully, and will now have no hesitation in opening the first at my earliest opportunity.

In case you aren’t aware there is always this…

10 Likes

St Aubin took a price hike when Puligny and Chassagne suddenly became out of price reach. At the moment Auxey and Pernand are hanging in there on the price stakes. Some Macons are still cheap and getting better all the time. Try some of Agnes Paquet’s wines.

4 Likes

Wow! Not even 10pm, 50 posts already, and some great wines being drunk :slightly_smiling_face:

I cooked brined cod with a carrot and ginger broth, pak choi, sheep’s yoghurt, and chive oil; we drank a bottle from a Mystery Case - TWS Exhibition Chablis Premier Cru Montmains, 2018.

While the notes from the 2019 say only 10% was fermented in oak, the back label for the 2018 says 33%, and there’s certainly a slight edge of vanilla and toast there. Not in any way dominant, though - this has all of the tension and fresh acidity that you’d look for in Chablis; white peaches; and a steely backbone but far from austere. The oak just opens it up. Went well with the fish, and tasted like a wine that costs more.

Happy Weekend!

33 Likes

Absurdly good with roast suckling pig, artichoke and roast potatoes. Perfect Bocca di Lupo at home partner, especially since I’ve seen so little restaurants with lockdown.

I feel this wine has only just begun to show and I’m glad I have more. It has huge intensity and drinks like a wine of a younger age.

This isn’t a soft brick red chianti, more like a poised and powerful BdM. I think when it fully matures some of that intensity will be softened in trade of greater complexity and nose. That is not to say it is not drinking extremely well now

15 Likes

OMG that looks good !

If I saw that on a restaurant menu I’d have no hesitation in ordering :yum:

8 Likes

This photo was taken a little earlier this evening. I’m now very much enjoying the last glass. It’s quite moreish, I reckon. Derek & The Dominos on the turntable. Happy Friday to all the recently retired home educators out there :partying_face:

30 Likes

What a fabulous label!

2 Likes

It’s such a lovely white! I also love the little ‘joke’ on the back label - ‘Save trees, drink Puiatti. No Oaked Wines’ :grinning:

3 Likes

Don’t think the Thalabert would be best with lamb. Ardanza would be nice, but my choice would be the Bordeaux.

(disclaimer: I’ve not tried the Bordeaux but had the other two relatively recently)

2 Likes

Decided to try this tonight which formed part of a recent order.

Big and bold for sure but highly enjoyable both with dinner (sausage casserole) and alone afterwards.
Can’t add much to TWS description really.
Will revisit the half bottle now under Coravin screwcap in a few months and try keep my other bottle at back of cabinet for a few years to see if/how it develops.

11 Likes