01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend drinking (5th- 7th March 2021)

Xinomavro Jeunes Vignes, Thymiopoulos 2019

Opened this for a nice chicken dish and one word ‘superb’ sadly only one bottle

16 Likes

Can a negroni be re-inforced?

2 Likes

The wines of Chianti (like most other regions, I would suppose) are inextricably linked to the landscape, history and culture from whence they came, so I agree completely that I am smelling the Essence of Catholicism when I am in their presence.

If I had to blind taste a wine for my life, on the gallows, I would back myself to pick out a Tuscan Sangiovese. But I wouldn’t have spotted this as a Sangiovese. Which sounds negative, but it’s not meant to be. This is just a verrrrry different wine to the high toned, fresh and crunchy Sangioveses that are now achingly cool (see Filetta di Lamole, Tenuta di Carleone).

I think the Fontodi CC is deservedly popular, but for me the VDS is the best wine in the range, if we drink wine that is representative of its terroir.

12 Likes

Ardanza for me!

4 Likes

Superb bottle! I collected mine earlier this week

1 Like

I had 2 of them. The lafon is a big wine and quite satisfying and the Rioja is pure class
I don’t think you can go wrong with either of them

2 Likes

Just opened this, not sure if anyone has heard about the Bin Series or #008 specifically. It’s rather good, don’t believe the reviews on the website, very misleading.

Very quaffable for an easy Friday night in.

Can see myself drinking it chilled as the sun starts to set in the summer.

30 Likes

Opened this from the WWF French Classics case that arrived today. I can take or leave muscat but this has a lovely bouquet and a nice long finish.
Cheers everyone. :clinking_glasses:

16 Likes

I don’t care any more. I just don’t care. Jinx schminx, it’s the end of home schooling and I’m opening the only thing in the garage that begins to fit such an occasion:

It’s been knocking around a few years now, think I got it in 2017:

We’ll crack it open when the Zoom Arms opens at 8 o’clock…

42 Likes

Myself as well on the chianti tonight. Good stuff and quite rich for a chianti. Dark fruits first and then nuances of red fruits, spices and some oak. Tremendous considering that after discounts and the Amex offer a case of 12 was £150

21 Likes

excellent choice Paul, a top Champagne

1 Like

lovely…and very restrained to wait to 8!

1 Like

You absolutely can. I only had rosé vermouth in the house and thought it looked a bit insipid and pepped it up with a slug of sloe gin.

8 Likes

5th of 6…and sublime ! im off for another glass

37 Likes

Drier than expected and very easy to drink. Limes and apples, very fresh with some acidity. I really need to stop drinking these Rieslings too early.

21 Likes

Curry tonight. Few beers.

Then board game with Mrs. AB and this. Cork broke :roll_eyes:

14 Likes

You should be in for a treat - laid down in 2009 means 2008 base vintage, a particularly successful Charles Heidsieck.

1 Like

Enjoyed this tonight…

With Lemon Sole (not quite a rebranded Cornish Sole), fennel and trimmings.

Delightful

Possibly could have gone with a Chablis for a bit more sharpness but either way everyone’s happy.

It’s the only Gonon in this house :cry:

26 Likes

A perfectly ordinary Macon Villages for a Friday night. Blameless. Acceptable?

16 Likes

Couple of NorthernMonk beers. The fruited sour IPA was excellent, the Donzoko not so much, very dry. Maybe drank the wrong way round?

Bin 002 Zweigelt, still very fresh tasting and delicious.

24 Likes