Weekend drinking( 26-28th February 2021)

Not sure the bin #008 is for me, so opening the first bottle of six #007s

19 Likes

Ooh, how is it?

I’ve got six in reserves, curious to see how it’s doing so far…

1 Like

Superb bottle!

1 Like

Consistently my favourite Barolo bottling.

Well, that and a few others… :smiley:

2 Likes

I got a case of Marcarini Brunate 2008 in reserves but haven’t tried any of his barolos yet. How is it?

1 Like

Dönnhoff Leistenberg Kabinett 2015
I’ve been making my way through a case of 2012, but this is more concentrated and energetic. Kerosine, slate and lime. Not sweet, not dry, just is. Good with food, really good without.

With pork schnitzel “Holstein” + peas & goose fat fried potatoes.

27 Likes

Leave it sleeping in your reserves for at least 5 years :grinning:

It will be wonderful, John Gilman gives it drink dates out to 2060, which I can well believe.

2008 is a classic vintage, but slightly less tannic than '06, and not quite as concentrated as 2010 (which is no bad thing). I took one for the team, but it’s now buried below even the '10 Bricco Boschis.

5 Likes

Now that is a treat. I had a bottle (back in 2018 apparently - 5* and some glowing notes), very envious.

Upped my game … last bottle of 6, utter heaven !

29 Likes

This wine was great at the moment but could become amazing. Still strong tannins and flavours of oak at first but as it breathed rich flavours of black fruits began to unravel. It has a long finish and great flavour intensity. Was nice to try when young but in 3-5 years I reckon this could be fantastic. For the price I don’t think you’ll get a better classed growth Bordeaux!

5 Likes

:heart_eyes: hnnnnnnng. You really know how to pick 'em!

1 Like

Enjoyed this tonight with some of our winter game birds.

A small Mallard+a partridge, one breast serve each…with sauté potatoes, chantenay carrots and kale.

We are not Beaujolais regulars and perhaps we should be as this was very soft but structured with integrated tannins and well balanced. I was looking for something to go with the richness of duck and the lighter partridge and mission accomplished. Now to look for one or two more Beaujolais.

28 Likes

Good to hear. Slightly lesser vintage in theory but I have six ‘14s in slumber

3 Likes

Evening all, haven’t posted for a while, I’ve been surviving off mystery cases since the start of the year (the wine equivalent of clearing down the freezer, perhaps?). All very nice but not much to shout about. With February almost over, it’s a treat both food and wine wise tonight. A bit of a seafood platter with a green salad, chips and aioli, washed down with a bottle of Dme Sylvain Pataille Bourgogne Aligoté 2019. I’ve never really got on with white Burgundy, but maybe I’ve been drinking the wrong grape all along? This is fabulous, lots of citrus up front and a long, slightly tart apple finish (slightly reminiscent of eating the skin off cooking apples destined for my mum’s apple crumble as a child, though nowhere that sharp). Really refreshing, a great match for the seafood.

37 Likes

Yum!!!
(Wine as well as the food)

3 Likes

Not the usual “Rioja”. High altitude, terroir driven garnacha. Ethereal, heady nose, raspberry, balanced stuff perhaps just not good VFM to me

Happy Friday!

23 Likes

@Tannatastic thank you for the info
Shall we bring a bottle each in 5 years time and do a tasting? :smiley:

4 Likes

I think this was suggested as a possible Bin 008 but wasn’t to be.

Lovely nose of forest floor, mushrooms and violet. Red cherry and creamy as well. As it has opened up a touch of coffee and cranberry. Pleasant. Would order more.

15 Likes

Also enjoyed the Pataille Aligote in the past. I see in the current Burgundy EP offer it states TWS have bought multiple Pataille single vineyard Aligote bottlings to be offered duty paid later in the year…

12 Likes

Sounds a good idea.

Perhaps a flight of 2008’s? Or a bring your best (not most expensive :smiley:) bottle?

Or a Marcarani-off death match? 2008 v '13, 2010 Vs '06? :smiley:

4 Likes