01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend drinking( 26-28th February 2021)

Well, never done this before and I hope I am not out of line in starting the weekend fest. We are in the Ile de Re and having an early apero after a 14k walk. So, excuses made we have demolished a dozen grade 1 oysters with this Domaine de L’ecru Muscadet. Marvelous salt edge to the wine with tropical melon on the palate, could be Melon Bourgogne even!!We have had to work at this wine and find it best at 11-12 degree otherwise the fruit is killed ! Ah well , still a bottle or two to prove the point! image|375x500

40 Likes

Awesome dejeuner @Luccasman…it’s been a beautiful spring day also in North Dorset so we broke for late lunch of mackerel fillets with this.

It was such a fabulous day, quite warm and Rosé was the accompaniment of choice.

Followed by a long walk with 4 legs

24 Likes

Ah, our’s was the four legged variety too.

1 Like

Later on we shall crack open a bottle of this

13 Likes

From the MWW old Rioja offer in 2013, at a bargain £17.

Very fresh, no tannin, plenty of fruit, very moreish in that ‘thin’ Rioja style I love.

25 Likes

Had the Lismore Reserve Syrah a few weeks back so interested to see how this one compares… Roast beef, potatoes and yorkies to accompany of course!! :smiley: :smiley: Will report back…

19 Likes

Love this wine from Salta in northwest Argentina. The Amalaya Corte Único is made with a majority of Malbec but around 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Tannat is added, all grown in the Valle Calchaquí at altitude. The wine is fermented in oak and then spends 12 months in French oak. This was about £6 a bottle in Argentina.

Opaque centre. Red rim with faint hint of age. Perfumed nose. Intense. Black fruit - black currant, blackberry. Herbaceous notes. Vanilla. Rich palate. Fresh acidity. Firm but ripe tannins. Lovely balance between acidity, tannins and fruit. Black plum. Black currant. Hints of mint and eucalyptus. Long finish. Lovely wine.

24 Likes

My goodness me this PYCM Bourgogne blanc punches well above its weight. Comfortably makes other village Côte de Beaune whites look ordinary. All the elements are completely intergrated to produce a wonderfully balanced wine. It also has a touch of richness wrapped in fresh citrus and tied up with a lovely bow of acidity.
Glorious

32 Likes

I tried one about 16 months ago and thought it was potentially great but needed a year or so to unwind, so stuck the rest of the case in the cellar. I’ll take your review as a sign to attack the rest, thanks.

3 Likes

I’ve just noticed the time, so this has just gone into the decanter…

With thanks to @danchaq et al for nudging me in this direction for tonight to go with confit duck and red cabbage. I think this forum will eventually spell death for my cellar :smiley: (it’s a 2011 btw, Marcarini only produce bottles that are a little camera shy).

Already smells like sour cherries, roses and old flower vase.

32 Likes

Decided to treat myself tonight, almost too intense, all spice soy and savoury meaty (beef stock) notes and a minutes long finish. Nice warming alcohol which is perfectly balanced by the sheer weight of the wine.

25 Likes

We have a Lagotto Romagnolo, Italian water dog, and he is our health assurance… at eighteen months he is a bundle of energy and life, we love him a great deal.

2 Likes

Mrs W’s birthday today so we’ve ordered a takeaway from our local Mediterranean tapas restaurant and opened a bottle of Tintilla we brought back from a holiday and visit to Bodegas Luis Perez a couple of years ago. Would recommend this vineyard for a visit, particularly if you have the kids with you.

Tapas delivery is a bit late but the wine is lovely. Blackberry, black cherry & pepper. Nothing too complex but wholly enjoyable.

And in a rare escapade into the kitchen late last night I’ve even knocked up a birthday cake…

27 Likes

Many happy returns for Mrs W.

1 Like

Happy birthday Mrs W

1 Like

Bit of a treat tonight. Regretting not getting more. Beautiful balance, evolution on the palate, sustained flavour and fine, slightly grainy texture. Brilliant stuff

12 Likes

Wishing you both a lovely evening and a happy birthday to Mrs W

3 Likes

Looks like I’ll be evoking the Tws promise tonight … second bottle from a case of 2017’s.
If it was Sherry it would probably taste ok … :see_no_evil::tired_face:!

22 Likes

Friday night treat

24 Likes

Am really enjoying this, it’s slightly chilled still and has a very fruity mineral taste

21 Likes