01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekend drinking 17th-19th September

Dominum QP Rioja 2009. Tastes about 4 years old, not 12. Quite dark in colour. Tannins are slightly unresolved . It’s got that stewed fruit, dash of mulberry, followed by the leathery, nutmeggy oakiness. It’s fine, but I’ll bury my remaining bottles for a few years to see what they transform into

Happy weekend everyone!

23 Likes

After the Massolino 16 Captain Comedown has hit hard. It’s alright, but only just, anonymous, slightly soupy. I should pour it away and find something I do like, vita brevis and all that.

8 Likes

M&S bargain still drinking nicely.
Good value at the £11 I paid on clearance.

14 Likes

Having this in magnum with friends, it’s terrific

20 Likes

Two super wine running up to the weekend. First bottle of the 2017 Meursault, Olivier Leflaive. I’ve been resisting this for a few months. Absolutely super white Burgundy. The balance you’d expect from a Meursault and from the Olivier Leflaive stable. Very good to excellent. The 2002 Rudesheimer also super and matched a fruit desert beautifully, also just 8%.

23 Likes

I don’t normally drink on gym days, but it’s not been the best week for me so I needed some luxury.

Boy did this do the trick! Glistening golden in the glass. Big, oily and rich with such a voluptuous mouth feel it almost doesn’t need to taste of anything. Luckily for me it does also taste of something, caramel, pears, and pineapples with something spicy on the finish. Everything old vine Marsanne should be (of course it is! It’s Chave working with fruit from St Jo!). It really is a glass of luxury and decadence.

Cashing in on Past Patrick’s EP spend is also adding to the pleasure. Go Past Patrick!

30 Likes

This is a bit of a crossover posting from the wine and crisps thread or whatever it was. Currently eating black pepper twists (M&S, not just any twists!) and drinking Cune Rioja Blanco 2019 (Waitrose 7.50 on offer). It’s quite strange; the roof of my mouth is tingling with black pepper, and my tongue is going quite numb, almost as if it’s been anaesthetised.

The wine is very pale, with a rich leesy and/or oaky aroma. Quite a lemony, dry flavour. Light and fresh and will probably come across more with the haddock fish cakes than it does with the black pepper. So far I’d call this a happy to drink wine but not a rush to buy more one!

15 Likes

@Andy999 -this is the thread - Wine and crisps

I cooked a cod and prawn green curry, and we drank TWS Exhibition Gewurztraminer, 2016

The Society's Exhibition Alsace Gewurztraminer 2017 (link to the 2017, while we drank 2016)

This was part of a Mystery Case from earlier this year (What’s happened to those? They seem to have died out, which is a bit sad. It would be good if these Bin Ends stayed accessible to those who can’t reach the Showroom). Definitely on the fruity rather than floral side of gewurz, with bags of lychee and mango. Off-dry, which took the heat off the curry, and with a good kick of pepper on the finish once it warmed up a bit. It perfectly fits the Exhibition brief of providing classic examples of a style.

Happy Weekend!

24 Likes

Bit of Ronseal to start with, good traditional bitter

Followed up with a supererb Viña Ardanza Reserva 2010. Decanted for around 5hrs

26 Likes

With half a crisp aromatic duck I bought from our local independent a Jackson Estates The Settler pinot noir 2013. Definitely on the restrained, controlled end of the pinot noir spectrum, this is quite dark coloured, especially given its age. The nose is one of rose hip and coffee bean with something lifted like lavender. Initially on the palate this is still quite austere, sappy and pleasantly bitter. The mid palate has a bit of truffle and richness, just with an echo of raspberry and wild strawberry and the finish is long, lots of dark chocolate, black tea and bitter cherry fruit. Not bad for around £20.

14 Likes

Last bottle of the 2019 white Vacqueyras this evening. A wine that fits this month. The light has changed and the temperature is nice but not warm.

The wine is full with that oily texture that coats the mouth. Plenty of orchard fruit, white peach and blossom. 2019 now OOS and looking forward to the 2020.

20 Likes

A difficult bottle to photograph, having no label. All information is on the neck.

Barbadillo Nude 2020, 100% Tintilla de Rota. Young fresh and fruity with a spicy damson note. Very enjoyable. From Spanish Wines Direct.

18 Likes

Opened a bottle of Aglianico del Vulture, Le Ralle 2017 . My second Aglianico del Vulture and it would seem I am partial to this style of wine! Quite an earthy nose, very approachable almost sweet; it would be too syrupy except it’s perfect balanced by the acidity. With no tannins to speak of it slips down remarkably easily and yet there is a lot going on! I’m very impressed!

20 Likes

Prepped this for tonight. 2011 vintage
Fingers crossed the winemaker knows something about Syrah/Shiraz…

11 Likes

An Aligote from Felettig tonight. Fresh, easy drinking, great light entertainment.

12 Likes

Indeed - 2011 should be pretty special, plenty of leather & dark berries?.

However conflating Pangea (a geological timescale land where S. America & Africa were as one) - with a vineyard in Chile, using Syrah grapes, and an Australian maker… Not so sure about that.

3 Likes

I had to look up that Northern Monk x Ronseal bitter to see if it was some sort of hoax! One of the oddest, but most inspired brand partnerships I’ve seen recently.

3 Likes

Back on home territory and to crack open what is one of the house wines here, and from the nearest winery to my house. The debate was between settling down and sipping this in the sunshine with the weekend papers or get on and do some more weeding. I think most of you will correctly guess the outcome.

13 Likes

Taking advantage of the unexpected reprise of summer for another attempt at the 4hr slow-smoked ribs experiment of two weeks ago.

On the last leg now and hoping I won’t balls it up again by charring them like I did last time.

More successful previously was the wine match - another winner from Wienert, so repeating that as well:

In the meantime a Purity Gold while the sproglet is put to bed.

15 Likes

Having a big fat steak tonight:

With a bottle of this:

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/crozes-hermitage-domaine-de-thalabert-paul-jaboulet-aine-2009

And both are delicious :yum: :wine_glass: :cut_of_meat:

18 Likes