01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekend Drinking 15th - 17th May, 2020

The most interesting Malvasia I’ve had recently was a Malvasia di Bosa, made from the local Sardinian Malvasia strain. They age it under flor (possibly even with fractional ageing) so it tastes like a more aromatic sherry.

2 Likes

And another one! Yes, i remember a happy afternoon getting thoroughly pissed on the local tipple in a little bar in Bosa :smile:

While malvasia clearly isn’t always “bianca”, i do wonder where that California strain came from!

3 Likes

Interesting question! But there seem to be a few producers who make it. I had a Malvasia Bianca from Birichino a while ago, but did not get on with it. This one came from Monterey.

EDIT: just looked it up - and this is what they say:

“100% Malvasia Bianca, vines originally brought to the US from Calabria in the early 20th century”…

2 Likes

Calabria would be Malvasia di Lipari, which is genetically identical to Malvasia Sardegna.

Finally my Italian Wine Scholar has paid off!

2 Likes

OK… never tried a Calabrian one in my two trips there, but obviously it would be a prime candidate!

Malvasia delle Lipari was always a sweet wine (until recent years, when a couple of tiny producers are making interesting dry versions), and as far as i know in Sardinia is always used to make a sherry-type wine (though this style is sadly in decline).

Anyone come across any malvasia on a Greek island? One feels there must be some :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve had the same recently, just different year 2011. Would agree with you – a solid ‘plain’ Barolo (if there is such a thing!). I found classic earth & tar in my bottle with hints of dried flowers. I would say a ‘dry’ style of Barolo reminding me of old books and parchment, but also sundried grapes and raspberries. VFM certainly.

2 Likes