01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekday wine thread 30 Aug to 1st Sept

When I feel like a juggler running out of hands?
Oh welcome to the working week?
(Elvis Costello)

Tonight a rare treat - @Alabaster_cheeks will appreciate this.

Cadenheads Classic Campbeltown - pure malt whisky (that’s a clue to it’s age) 50%, no caramel, no chill filtering. A bargain at £78.

Bottled sometime in the noughties, no later than 2009. A blend of Springbank certainly, Glen Scotia maybe, Glengyle (Kilkerran) unlikely cos I’m not sure they were producing then? I could have kept & flipped it but life’s too short.

Colour is rich bronze, add a touch of water and it turns misty. Nose is fabulous… mature old whisky with superbly integrated casks … no peat and yet a touch of smoke & cowsheds in the background. On the palate I think I can pick up Glen Scotia (disco cow era.* … but well aged), and then its into your classic Springbank, similar to the 15 y/o with a majority of sherry casks?. Finish… just lovely, it goes on and on. Cant believe I obtained this bottle (and will never see another except at auction)

There’s even something of old Armagnac going on here.

• Glen Scotia (disco cow era), I owe an explanation: awful bottle label featured a highland cow, set against a northern lights background in unlikely shades of magenta etc. The whisky was however rather good, plenty of brown sugar, ginger, tropical spices.

Happy Tuesday everyone !

28 Likes

First day back at work after 2 weeks off… the attack of the emails! :scream:
Had to clear my diary from appointments so I can handle the tsunami of questions. For a moment there I wasn’t waving but drowning.

Still, a jolly wine this evening - which confirms my love of this variety:

Lagrein Riserva, Castel Firmian Mezzacorona, Trentino Alto-Adige, 2018

Lovely inky colour as per photo, the nose is earthy and spicy with blueberries, dark cherries, violets and dried herbs. Quite plush on the palate but framed by bright and appetising acidity and ripe tannins, this is very easy to enjoy.

The blueberry/bramble fruit is mixed with myrtle notes (à la Mirto liquor), dusty earth and a touch of baking spices. The finish is decent with a nice savoury/herbal edge to it. Maybe it doesn’t have quite the same depth as the Hofstätter example, but it’s still a reassuringly delightful glass of wine, so glad I have a couple more in the racks.

The husband is making wild boar meatballs and pasta for dinner - a combo I find really works with Lagrein.

Happy short week to all! :grinning: :wine_glass:

22 Likes

DELETE is your friend… just saying…

5 Likes

Clape CdR 2015 tonight as a reward for making it through the day…

3 Likes

I often dream of DELETE… Or shouting in the manner of Pip Larkin ‘Stuff your pensions!’… But this would come at a risk of a meeting with the university’s legal advisor… Students are now customers, you know. Always right :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Indeed - I used to do external lecturing. Students one always replied to, colleagues mostly, everything else… not. But then us externals didn’t get the Uni pension, so fair enough !

1 Like

'tis largely why I’ve given up on teaching… too much bureaucracy as well.

Any way enjoying this Louis Boillot MàV this evening; gorgeously smokey, farmy nose, with some cherries in there. Juicy acidity (feels a little fizzy!) and some tannins in there. Seems quite narrow though… But it is very drinkable

20 Likes

Having made it through what certainly felt very much like a Monday - and after a weekend of less than brilliant wine - I’m treating myself to this.

Bought both 20 & 21 en primeur and if this year’s wine budget would allow I’d be putting a case of the newly released 2019 in reserves. Beautiful even up front, with a sweet and bitter grapefruit, it rounds out after an hour or so in the decanter into a full bodied spiced baked apple flavour, with raisins, ripe apricot and rhubarb also coming out. If you like Condrieu you’ll like this. I might be breaking that wine budget.

21 Likes

Although seasons haven’t transitioned. Transition is on the mind. Last of the summer (red) wine here. 2016 being drunk whilst the latest vintage for sale is 2018. @suiko suggests it doesn’t benefit much from ageing (iirc). Drink up outweighed my desire to have at least one of these bottles in my drinking now rack.

On a side note, I am starting to bifurcate my wine buying into those that are good to buy on demand vs building an ageing pipeline. So I’ll buy more on demand. This is buy for drinking now

The initial nose needed a few mins to burn off its bottle funk but I don’t think it needs to be decanted much

It’s a fairly light wine, tannin and alcohol wise. Quite transparent for a red.

The nose is assertive, post initial funk it is floral, spice and herbs. Somewhat characterised by what it is not I.e. a fruit bomb or a heavily oaked presence. I always think there’s a bit of washing powder detergent :slight_smile: (but in a good way)

On the palate it has superb balance of fruit, acidity and a long finish

I’m taken back to a visit to Palermo a decade ago, being presented with a similar characterful wine by an artisanal prosciutto/salami and cheese producer and a plate of their produce and being taken to a very happy place indeed.

Happy short week all!

22 Likes

Just to add a shade of nuance to what I must have said at some point :smiley: I don’t want to give the impression that this wine - one of my all-time favourites - needs to be drunk young. It’s more that I haven’t seen much change in bottles I’ve drunk at 7 or 8 years old from ones I’ve drunk at 2 or 3. I know Cos have bottles going back over 20 years and I am of course very prepared to believe that this is worth doing.

As such it’s a similar case to another of my long-term faves, Jean Foillard’s Cote de Py. Both ineffably delicious and yet eminently subtle, delicate and profound wines.

7 Likes

More wine “underwhelmment” here (for two out of three)…

Decided on a couple of Carignans with the fading summer and probably the penultimate barbecue of the year…

Les Bruyères 2013, Cuvée Inconnue This Vin de Table Français from the Languedoc never got over its raging unbalanced acidity over three days. I’ve previously very much enjoyed wines from this highly individual and painstaking producer, so can only assume this one should have been drunk within five years or so.

Le Rescapé 2018, Domaine Treloar I’m a big fan of Jonathan Hesford’s wines - clearly light years better than those also made in the Roussillon by another English immigrant and sold by TWS - and you can see his style in this 100% Carignan made for drinking young. Juicy and gluggable but with plenty of depth of fruit.

Which I suppose goes to prove that if Carignan is to make “serious” ageable wines it needs to be from venerable old vines. Otherwise it’s sur le fruit.

L’Estela 2020, Domaine Montesquiou Opened for my mum, who sadly doesn’t like red wine, this vintage has been a disappointment to me. It seems to lack both the zing of other vintages and the Jurançon character. I wonder if this might have anything to do with the declining proportion of Gros Manseng in the entry-level wines designed for youthful drinking with seafood made by a number of Jurançon producers? Or (yet) another warm vintage?

15 Likes

Had this 2018 last week. First of 6 bought EP.

Rich on the nose with more wood than expected. Rich to begin with in the mouth with white peach and then it got lighter somehow with a nutty splashy finish. Looking forward to the others. Didnt notice much acidity so wonder how long they’ll live. Someone on the internet said to 2027.

“Splashy”. I know, but it was the word that came to mind.

18 Likes

After yesterday’s delightful Lagrein, we’re staying in the Alto Adige region this evening with a bottle of Kerner:

Kerner, Cantina Valle Isarco, Alto Adige 2020

The 2019 was a happy revelation of just how lovely, and rather unique, this grape is - and this 2020 is continuing in the same vein.

A crossing of Trollinger/Schiava and Riesling, the wine combines rounded fruit notes of peach (maybe even something more exotic) with distinctly herbal and grassy and very Thai notes - think lemongrass, or Kaffir lime leaves. It’s got a perfume all of its own, moving from said lime leaves and fresh green herbs to more rounded honeysuckle and stone fruit notes, and on the palate it is rather lithe and light - hard to believe it’s a 14% ABV wine.

The acidity is definitely Riesling-like, but there’s so much else going on, and the finish is medium plus with notes of almond and a lemongrass sort of citrus-ness. Looking forward to drinking it with some Schnitzels and mash! :ok_hand: :star_struck:

17 Likes

I’ve been working my way through these two….

The first as flagged a while ago by @winechief, all lime and blossom and wonderfully refreshing. I’m really getting into riesling in its various guises, which will probably reward my bank balance given my previous phase of increasingly expensive white burgundy.

The second again a great example of TWS and en primeur when it was working as you’d want…buy some classed growth claret for £100, put it away for 15+ years and then enjoy.

Happy wednesday.

19 Likes

Agree about Kerner. It’s one of the few varieties grown in Holland that both does well and is pleasant to drink.

We had some in a vineyard picnic at Domaine Monteberg in 2015. Surprised we don’t see it often (at all) in England, though I’m sure someone out there is cultivating it…

IMG_0228

11 Likes

One of my favourites here, Jean Merieau Cent Visages; its a deep opaque purple red. Wonderfully floral and fragrant nose of violets, roses, plums too. Fresh, rich, good acidity; lightish, but fairly serious too. Delicious, and almost guilt free at 12.5% (sorry about the grubby glass)

17 Likes

Pleasantly surprised to find this in the Co-op in Dulverton, where the wines are normally mass market brands for under a tenner. (This was £12).

Not earth-shattering, but very refreshing with flavours of citrus and pineapple, medium acidity and finish. This was the last on display, I will probably have another look to see if they’ve re-stocked.

14 Likes

A bit indulgent for a Wednesday evening but who knows what’s coming around the corner so what the heck…

…a Hemelrand Vine Garden 2017 from Alheit. It’s a blend of chenin, chardonnay, roussanne, verdelho and muscat ( 26:26:23:21:4 ) from young vines, planted in 2010, on a 360m altitude vineyard on the Hemel & Aarde Ridge.

A fragrant and floral nose with a melange of orchard, stone and citrus fruit notes. No particular grape dominates on tasting either, just a complex blend of pure and tangy fruits with beautifully fresh acidity to cut and balance the rich flavours and oily, slippery, mouthfeel. Despite the age of the vines length of flavour is very good. Or more succinctly, a joy to drink and class in a glass !

22 Likes

I love the coaster! Is it a bit of slate?

1 Like

Found some lamb loins from Iceland(the country) in the freezer so obviously they were sous vide’d right that evening with some duck fat roasted potatoes.

Paired with half a bottle of the 2011 904. Rest to be had on Friday, or tonight if I can’t resist.

15 Likes