Weekday Wine 12th to 15th Sept

@Embee that mackerel looks delicious, it’s a wonderul fish when super fresh (I’m tempted to do a trip to the wholesale fish shop in Huddersfield this morning). I’m guessing its grilled, but am I wrong and it’s smoked?

The ravioli - intriguing! what’s inside them?

1 Like

And that goes straight onto my wish list - cheers Inbar !

1 Like

Thanks for the compliment :slightly_smiling_face:

The fish was cooked in a, smoking hot, cast-iron griddle pan for four minutes each side (dried with kitchen towel and then given an olive oil and salt rub prior to cooking to prevent the skin sticking and tearing). I had to put it in the pan diagonally to get it to fit though !

The filled pasta was shop bought…

…currently on offer in Waitrose for £2.50.

4 Likes

Last one of three:

Cavallotto Langhe Nebbiolo 2015

Still a slight unbalanced alcoholic sharpness on the nose, as I also found in my second bottle, although in the intervening three years it seems, in its own way, to have integrated with the fruit to produce something reminiscent of cherry liqueur. A few swirls brings out a satisfying tarry depth. It’s still great stuff, although I do think I enjoyed it more in its youth.

I was about to say that I’d love to see it on the list again, but I’ve just checked and whaddya know, the 2018’s there. It’s £26 and my 2015, for comparison, was £23 in 2019.

19 Likes

Excellent - thanks Mark. That’s supper sorted!

2 Likes

Another dinner at Artisans of Sardinia for the SW London Wine Appreciation Group yesterday evening.

10 fantastic wines have been had, matched by Massimo’s 6 course menu. Record turnout, no new faces this time. Our private room was definitely at capacity.

Champagne Pierre Gerbais, Grains de Celles - The best Champagne I had in a while. It has some Pinot Blanc in it and I have convinced myself that I can actually recognise it on the nose (in hindsight). The bubbles were really gentle and allowed the wine underneath to shine. I am told it is coming in to stock soon, so will keep an eye on this. Good start to the night.

No overall theme was set, but we made an effort to compare and contrast two wines for each course. The first one, two (new) old world whites.

2010 Domaine de Beudon, Fendant - A Swiss wine made from Chasselas, was quite muted on the first sip, but really came to its own with some air and the red prawn, sweet gazpacho combo.

2020 Carl Loewen 1896 Riesling - A wine of contemplation, Feinherb, sweeter than dry, but not as sweet as Kabinett. Not the piercing acidity you might expect from a young Mosel Riesling. More richness and fruit. I could drink this all night. Apparently made from some of the oldest Riesling vines there are.

Octopus pasta and two rich, powerful, complex whites. The pasta as always was perfect and the wines also delivered.

2017 Artemis Karamelogos 34 - Beautiful Assyrtiko, still young offering lots of pleasure for the next 10+ years. I wish @Ralphie was writing these notes so the nuances of flavours can be captured.

2014 Henri Prudhon, Puligny Montrachet Les Enseignieres - Great winemaker, great vineyard and great vintage do make a great wine. Saying that this is still quite tight and needs extended air time to open up. Touch of reduction. Great puligny experience.

Massimo chose to pit a beauty of a Sardinian red against a red Burgundy to match the aubergine pasta…

2015 Savigny-les-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Vergelesses, Jane Eyre - 2015 red Burgundies are a different beast. I remember the EP tasting and how approachable and delicious all the reds were. This wine has it all, but probably needs a few more years to truly shine. Pure Morello cherry fruit, tension from acid and tannins. Complexity.

2016 Tanca Farra’ Cannonau Cabernet Sauvignon, Sella & Mosca (provided by Massimo from the wine list) - This blend strangely does not shout Cabernet Sauvignon. It is smooth and less big more elegant than expected. Hint of sauvage from the Cannonau (aka Grenache). It actually did not mind being side by side with the Burgundy and the Burgundy did not mind either.

A tale of two Musars with some meat or fish.

2012 Musar - This was a wall of fruit hitting you in the face. Can imagine it reduced and used in a pudding. Appetising on the nose, too. All this after 12 hours decanting, will probably go on forever.

1995 Musar - This was more wine than juice, but very youthful at the age. Wonderful wine with complexity, fruit and slowly evolving hints of tertiary flavour.

Delicious fig panna cotta with an aged Sauternes.

2003 Chateau Climens - This is another ageless wine. Perfect with the food and perfect on its own, too. Would go well with salty creamy cheese, too, I bet. Everything you want from a Sauternes. We drink far too little sweet wine.

On to the next get together. Cheers.

34 Likes

We enjoyed the 2017 of the Cavallotto Langhe Nebbiolo while camping last weekend. It was a little spirity but more delicate than I’d been expecting. There were a lot of thirsty campers, so only had one glass but clearly well-made. QPR is a valid question, probably slightly expensive by my reckoning.

4 Likes

2012 Bosquet des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape A la Gloire de mon Grand-Père

Just outstanding stuff here. Drank over 2 nights. Beautifully balanced. Savoury and then fruit forward. Always changing in the glass. This is why I love wines from the Rhône.
Also gave a bottle to my Dad for him to take back to Australia which I hope he’ll enjoy just as much as I did.

26 Likes

Sounds like it’s definitely time to take some from reserves

1 Like

Yep, this autumn would be great to mark their 10th birthday. Just beware of the sediment!

1 Like

Following on from some preemptive 10th anniversay celebrations last weekend, my partner and I marked the day itself with some fizz and accompanying nibbles after putting the barleysprout to bed:

Homemade potato blinis (a first try at this, but pretty successful) with mackeral pate & pickled cucumber, prawn & avocado and creme fraiche & ‘caviar’ (picked up from a local Polish shop - it’s Norwegian salmon roe that has been dyed black).

The fizz was Langham Corallian Classic Cuvee (thanks to @strawpig for the recommendation in the Champagne/Bubbles thread). I’m normally a blanquette/cremant/cava drinker and have been a bit skeptical about the value presented by English Sparkling Wine (and Champagne) in the past but this was fabulous, with a finish that just went on and on. Quite possibly a new favourite sparkler and worth every penny.

Grain not grape to finish and a glass of Laphroaig Quarter Cask with a chocolate mousse.

18 Likes

I’m sure nobody noticed but it’s been a few days since I posted any reports from N Italy and our current trip. There will be ! just too kn***ered and tied up to compile photos promptly but they are in the bag.

But tonight we are staying at Uros Valentincic’s little camping area here on the Slovenian side of Gorizia ( this is Europe’s amber wine heartland) and enjoyed a lengthy tasting this evening with fellow guests. https://www.valentincic-turizem.si/vinarstvo/vina/?lang=en

Even though Uros doesn’t really like amber wine - he’s a merlot aficionado - he makes 3 skin contact whites. A PG which has 2 weeks, a chardonnay which has 20 weeks and another proper Chardonnay amber wine which has had a year and is now on the 2011 release.

All were most acceptable, the 11 year old was very farmyard to start with but 15 minutes’ energetic swishing and aerating blew that off and the lovely savoury bitter orange aromas came through

We’ve had several skin contact PGs this week and his was lovely but fairly simple, and my pick was the 20 week contact which still had fruity freshness to accompany the tannic bite.

More catch ups from the past week to come, plus the 2 days here in Collio / Friuli / Carso this weekend

Bon weekend

15 Likes

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/faugeres-lou-cazalet-domaine-saint-antonin-2015

This tonight, and for anyone who cares about the missing image it looks like this

The colour is quite a dark reddish purple and though I honestly don’t know, my impression is that it has probably faded a little. Not sure why I think this because it’s not really faded, but I just don’t think it’s quite as dark as it might have been a while ago. Dark berry flavours with a menthol/eucalyptus tang. Over time it seems to be developing more sweetness and more freshness and acidity. Was drinking it with quorn burgers with Dijon mustard, and beetroot. Good combination.

Beetroot is currently a bit of an obsession for me. It tastes good, it’s healthy, it’s cheap, and it goes well with a lot of red wines. No wonder it’s called a superfood!

14 Likes

I (without any real justification) wonder about vintage variation on this one - first had the 2013 which was a “wine of the year” candidate, very complex and pretty much unlike anything else we had ever tried.

Case of the 2015 was a different matter - just a much more subdued experience, and totally lacking in excitement. I see I have not ordered it since - whilst continuing to buy other (sweeter) wines from the same stable. Will certainly add a bottle or more to the next order based on this review / reminder. Thanks…

3 Likes

Did you get Kadette at ASDA?

Monday I cooked vegetable curry, and also some rice forgetting I had bought naan breads to go with it. For wine I grabbed from the Ready Rack easy drinking

2020 Beyerskloof Pinotage (South Africa, Western Cape)

Tuesday Mrs M was playing online Bridge in the evening, so we had an early dinner of Mrs M’s favourite crispy slices of aubergine in tomato & basil sauce and penne with a mixed salad and no-brainer™

2020 Casa Vinicola Roxan The Wine Society’s Montepulciano d’Abruzzo (Italy, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo)

Wednesday I made ratatouille which we had with warm baguettes. Mrs M said the ratatouille was the best that I’d ever made and I didn’t want to disclose the shameful additional ingredient I’d used…

With it we had Grenache, her favourite red variety.
2018 Undurraga Grenache Cauquenes (Chile, Maule Valley)
I paid £7.50 but now TWS has the same vintage but a different version with a black label at £21

Thursday we were going to go out to a local restaurant for dinner but felt too tired and it would be dark and we were going out to a restaurant for lunch the following day, so I grabbed a Waitrose steak pie from the freezer which we had with gravy and new potatoes, cabbage, carrots, broccoli spears and cauliflower. I decanted
2014 Cune Rioja Gran Reserva Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference (Spain, Rioja)
which I’d picked up for a song on impulse during one of Mr Sainsbury’s generous 25% off deals and it was jolly enjoyable.

(Beyerskloof & Cune Rioja from Sainsburys, Montepulciano & Undurraga Grenache from TWS)

9 Likes

Ah….I can see this wasn’t very clear. No, I bought it a little while ago, I think from Tesco and quite possibly prompted by a post by you @peterm!

What was the shameful ingredient?!?

2 Likes

@Brocklehurstj - I’ll confess to you in a PM

1 Like

Bacon?