01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekday drinks 22 through Nov 25

Thanks, Mark, that’s useful information! I do like the tertiary flavours but I don’t want to wait longer than necessary for my first taste to determine whether I like the wine. I’ll do that once that determination is made with a future purchase!

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

You’ve already given me my excuse (and now fixed).

Excellent St Laurent in Caneat, a very good cafe/restaurant in Stirchley, south Birmingham. Can’t find a UK supplier unfortunately.

9 Likes

It was excellent! a touch pricey but you get what you pay for in terms of quality. Had a pint over the road in the Station Tap (or something like that) whilst waiting for them to prep the takeaway. Finished off the leftovers for lunch today - Curry for lunch is is one of life’s luxuries.

4 Likes

Was it Head of Steam? Nice pub for a pint I think. Directly opposite.

Well if you’re up for it and TWS ever host a Leeds tasting event walk around, maybe we could grab a pint / curry before or after?
…Here’s me, a grown married man, blushing as I type this, asking another man out on what could be construed as a date who I’ve never met… Welcome to the internet hey!

15 Likes

:joy::joy:
They call it ‘fluidity’ in Brighton… :grinning:

10 Likes

I have heard about Brighton. Up here, we have Hebden Bridge.

4 Likes

Monday - We’re back from our week in Paignton and Mrs M requests the pleasure of her favourite crispy slices of aubergine in tomato & basil sauce and penne with a mixed salad and no-brainer™
2019-Montepulciano

2019 Casa Vinicola Roxan The Wine Society’s Montepulciano d’Abruzzo (Italy, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo)

Tuesday we had another roast, finishing off Sunday’s beef and I opened

2018 Kanonkop Kadette Cape Blend (South Africa, Stellenbosch)

A blend of 37% Pinotage, 33% Cabernet Sauvignon, 26% Merlot, 3% Cabernet Franc, 1% Petit
Verdot. Punching well above its price.

Wednesday we went to Chez Mumtaj for the first time since 2019, although we had many takeaways. I feel so sorry for owner/chef Chad. He had such a vision of escaping from the tandoori house menu of his fathers restaurant to create a luxurious space serving a fusion of French-Asian dining. As a result of you-know what. although he has survived so far he has had to adjust his menu bringing back many Indian style dishes.

I rather pushed the boat starting with a glass of NV Bruno Paillard Brut Premiere Cuvee Champagne, then we ordered a starter of vegetable samosas and onion bhajis then swapped so we had one of each

For the main course I had Tandoori Chicken in a Garlic Chilli Massala, plus a side of Chana Massala, rice and naan, and to drink

2016 Renwood Zinfandel (USA, California)

which was just so.

And to finish, coffee and a glass of Petit Guiraud Sauternes 2016.

Thursday a simple but enjoyable meal of grilled Cumberland sausages and wedges of Jack Hawkins tomatoes, roasted with garlic, herbs and balck pepper with a slice of toasted home made granary bread,

To go with this simple feast I opened

2018 The Wine Society Blaufränkisch (Austria)
a very drinkable wine.

(Montepulciano and Blaufrankish from TWS, Kanonkop from Sainsburys, Renwood from Chez Mumtaj)

11 Likes

Wow prices have rocketed since I used to eat Indian in Leeds