01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekday drinking thread 9th - 12th May

Monday 9th May & how fast time flies. Who knows where the wine… goes.

Tonight’s (and the next few day’s) wine is quite the opposite to my usual preference. I typically dislike USA wines which can be jammy (except the expensive ones) - 2020 is much to young - and Zinfandel / Primativo can be very rustic indeed. Don’t get me started on supermarket wines.

A further warning note: aged in Bourbon barrels - that would surely be outlawed in any sensible wine making country,

Except it’s an excellent wine. Nose ISN’T all oak in fact its not much of anything - perhaps a decant would be good?. An explosion on the palate, now the silky oak is apparent, masses of raspberry, very rounded & spicy warm yet avoids the usual new world cliches. I’m pleasantly surprised. Sainsbury’s / Tesco for £12 to £15.

With a potato & beef curry (kind of - this is Monday)

17 Likes

Interesting thread title :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just checked the original title - many thanks for correcting it!

I was tempted to do a ‘victory day’ snark, but this is wine not politics.

Snap! Bought a case of this for a family event last year. Expected nothing of it, but really enjoyed the simple pleasures it bought. A couple of bottles were left over and came home with me - delicious in an uncomplicated way.

1 Like

33 degrees here already… most civilised :grinning:

Called for my favourite sub €10 white. Lovely wine from a producer who can do no wrong…

13 Likes

33 degrees in early May :cold_sweat::exploding_head: That’s at the top end of my tolerance before I start to go into meltdown. Where are you exactly?

4 Likes

Ideal for me :smiley: Portugal!

1 Like

Last supper (kind of) before heading off to Iceland for 19 days tomorrow. Gawd knows what wine there is there (but today I had an email from the motorhome hire company with their Top Tips, which included the suggestion of stocking up on booze at the Duty Free upon arrival…)

Anyway it was another dip into Aldi and this is their own-label Bekka Valley offering. https://www.aldi.co.uk/specially-selected-lebanese-red/p/712788535740500

Baby Musar it aint’ and not even a junior Domaine de Tourelles, but for £9 it’s pretty drinkable. Nice spicy raspberry - bramble with a soft tannic mouthfeel, a hint of pepper, perhaps a touch too sweet for my tastes, but no awkward dissonance and it was no trouble to polish off with late lunch of Waitrose organic sausages, and home grown cabbage and potatoes. The de rigueur condiment (Lea and Perrins) did not usurp the wine.

18 Likes

A bottle of Hárslevelü this evening, to accompany smoked paprika chicken stew:

Lemberg Hárslevelü, Tulbagh, South Africa, 2019

Bit of a curio, this one; I only ever had one bottle of it (a 2013 vintage) a few years’ back - and it left a really strong impression. The local merchant I bought it from then stopped stocking it, and I couldn’t find it anywhere and it fell off my radar. Looks like quite a few merchants stock it now - and so they should, as this is one unique wine in my opinion.

The vinification is made of multiple processes according their website (geek alert!):

“80% of the wine was oxidatively vinified by natural fermentation in older 500L French oak wine barrels. A further 15% was vinified by carbonic maceration after which the wine was fermented in a second fill 300L Hungarian oak barrel. Lastly, a minor 5% component of orange wine fermented in a Flex-cube brought the final touches of complexity to this wine. Individual components were aged on the gross lees for 8 months before blending and bottling”.

All this sounds terribly technical and dry, but my - the wine is nothing but! :heart_eyes: There is so much going on here… Shimmering gold in the glass, the nose has notes of exotic fruit, honey, Kaffir limes leaves, apples, yoghurt, hay and honeysuckle… On the palate it is equally complex and moves from honey, apricots and exotic fruit to Rose’s lime marmalade, bruised apples, beeswax and yeasty sourdough. It’s chewy, savoury and lees-y but also fruity and rich… but all feels complete somehow.

I decanted it for an hour - and would very much recommend doing this if you ever come across this intriguing wine.

Happy Tuesday! :grin:

24 Likes

From last week, a tasteing at https://le-social.com/
in Manchester.
4 different wines, all natural with the stand-out being Les Noces Alchimiques.

Whole bunch fermented grenache which, despite its pond-murk haze, smelt fresh and clean. Same on tasting, nice and lively and a pleasure to drink. I believe the current term is “smashable”.

All the wines on show were priced in the upper 20s. For what you get its expensive I think. Depends on how much of a premium you’re prepared to wear for sustainability etc. After seeing those pictures of champagne vines on another thread I’m ready to pay more.

Enjoyed the very similar Divay made by Leah Angles later that evening. Equally bright and fresh grenache and very easy drinking.

19 Likes

Took this Manzone Barolo Riserva Gramolere 2004 to lunch at Brutto today, and bloody good it was too.

Archetypal tar, roses, spices and floral lift on the nose. Palate elegantly resolved and balanced with a good degree of tertiary development - the fruit still there but some warming spices and undergrowth too. Tannins resolved, this is surely good to go (as I am finding many ‘04s are).

19 Likes

I think you are in Vodka and associated spirits country

Clean and refreshing Riesling Grauschiefer, Willi Haag, 2020. Yet another wine that’s oos before I try it!

10 Likes

Blew it out tonight….last piece of Bascos aged Galician fillet steak with frites. It’s empty the freezer week.

This very nice fillet tail drink with this:

Reminded us both of the delights of Loire Cab Franc, cassis, subtley herbaceous and some chocolate . Have certainly missed this varietal and note to self to add some more to the cellar.

19 Likes

Been too busy to post much for a while, and don’t often open one midweek (usually the remains of weekend bottles if any!).

However, venison steak last night demanded something so Coravined a couple of glasses of this, an old favourite.

I know that there are some other fans of this on here, and this vintage is in a very good place now. Tannin all smoothed out, very harmonious, Syrah notes to begin and mellowing nicely with the softer Grenache later. Another two glasses tonight with sausage and roast vegetable bake to ease the pain of a pulled/torn intercostal…

I think it will go on at least another couple of years - the wine that is, not the pulled muscle!

26 Likes

I’ll second that tip to stock up on duty free booze before you enter Iceland. Anything alcoholic is shockingly expensive there. And I mean shocking. If you do alcohol-free periods, your time in Iceland would be a good time to consider that!

If you go local then they are very proud of their beer and they make an Icelandic version of aquavit called brennivinn. Beer excellent, brennivinn ok if you like caraway. I do, so it was ok for me. I guess they probably make vodka too if they make brennivinn.

3 Likes

Enjoying this tonight - sunshine now but a miserable day so pulled this wintery wine with some venison ragu.

Delicious - tannic to begin with but gives way to a spicy rich fruit finish.

15 Likes

And tonight

Another TWS wine that I’m struggling to locate in My Wines but must be there somewhere. The very observant and well informed may notice it is accompanied by Tesco “Free from” cheese balls. Apparently free from gluten, wheat, and milk so I do wonder about the cheese a bit - another sad by-product of going to Tesco straight after a work-out I’m afraid. The pinot blanc has an unusually lengthy back label in French telling me it suits most dishes, but I doubt they had Tesco cheese balls in mind. It also taught me a knew word - “gouleyant” - which apparently means very drinkable. This seems a rather useful word and I’m quite surprised I haven’t come across it before.

So, to end my waffling, the wine seems fairly simple, very fruity, and definitely “gouleyant”!

12 Likes

Exhibition Santorini Assyrtiko for me this evening. Very fresh and balanced. Some limey flavour, with less of what I perceive as mineral flavours than others have suggested. That said, of course minerality is a vexed and controversial topic. In my mind it’s essentially that stony character from Chablis or the lighter German rieslings, but I don’t think there is consensus.

Anyway, it’s very good and I would happily have more, but probably won’t re-purchase in a hurry. Instead I am feeling an exploration into inexpensive Italian and Spanish whites coming on. I think I am likely to find more character, at the cost of less refinement maybe.

15 Likes

Try the exhibition Soave, I very much enjoyed the bottle I opened last weekend.

3 Likes