01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekday Drinking Thread (7th-10th June)

Something must be going on as I couldn’t find the weekday thread and it’s Tuesday 6:40pm!!
This ESW it’s just what I need. Lovely fruit and colour, apples on the nose as very refreshing. Made by Gusbourne. Cheers!

23 Likes

Ah! you just missed mine by a nanosecond. You OK with me merging it?

1 Like

A thirst-quenching Verdejo this evening to accompany the sun:

Perhaps not quite as thrilling as drinking it with our friends in Madrid over some tapas, but with this lovely sunshine after a long day’s work – it’s actually hitting the spot rather nicely. I love Verdejo (or simply ‘Rueda’ as our friends call it) – it’s sunshine in a glass: zinging, zesty, zuper! :star_struck:

This one actually has a bit more depth to it than the more straight-forward examples. Pale lemon with green hints in the glass, the nose hits with passion fruit, lemon, grapefruit and white blossom.

On the palate it positively sparkles (well, not literally) with fresh notes of lime zest, grapefruit and acacia honey. It tingles with lovely minerality but the mouthfeel is quite rounded – perhaps thanks to it being 4 month on its lees. Grilled mackerel and baby spuds for dinner, and this joyous wine should work nicely with it.

@Leah, @Andrew1990 - hope your exams went well today! :crossed_fingers:

22 Likes

@Inbar thanks!

1 Like

Here is a glass of a lovely summer red with an envious boy in the background.

And well he might be as it’s delicious, coming from this bottle of newly-discovered pleasure:

A crafty blend of dolcetto and Nebbiolo, giving the fragrance of the latter combined with the easy cherry drinkability of the former (just slightly sharpened by the edge of Nebbiolo).

I like this a lot. In fact, I prefer it to Langhe Nebbiolo. And what’s this? The 2016 - vintage of Kings - available right now on TWS?

It would have been rude not to.

29 Likes

Still holidays here, and a glass of Chapel Valley NV to start tonight.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/chapel-down-nv-vintage-reserve-english-sparkling-wine/068005-34519-34520

I haven’t had this for several years, but at 25% off at Waitrose it was tempting. And is even more so in the glass. Loads of red apple, maybe a tiny bit of lemon. I’m unconvinced of the claimed brioche notes, but certainly good value for the price… but I’d feel differently at £27 - for that I’d expect more complexity.

They are fundraising for a significant expansion, and on this showing that’s good news.

14 Likes

We’re on a bottle of this tonight - the Valtuille Vino de Villa, Mencia 2018. Wife was so-so about it, but then she doesn’t tend to enjoy the drier earthier reds as much as she does their fruitier lusher brethren. I myself rather like it, I must say - angular dryish layered fragrant red fruits with lots of grip and a [to me] slightly surprising sweetness behind it too. A delicious mouthful and very more-ish. I’m keeping it slightly chilled to maintain the freshness of the tastes and the grippiness. I can imagine this going very nicely with BBQd goodies.

15 Likes

Exam for me also today. It was the sparkling one so thought I would calibrate my palate afterwards with this.

Vintage 2012.
Fermented on skins for 7-10 days, pressed, clarified and then matured for 12 months in older French oak hogsheads. The base wine was then bottle-fermented and aged on its yeast lees for five years. After disgorgement, a small amount of Vintage Fortified wine was added to build complexity.
Nothing short of outstanding.

30 Likes

Ah! Hope it went well, @winechief ! :pray:

In fact, hope it was…

:wink::+1:

5 Likes

Indeed
I saw that on the website and was wondering if I should try as I’m not the biggest fan of dolcetto

We all know the first was a sparkling Shiraz :wink:

6 Likes

Wines tasted yesterday have been released.
I’m pretty happy with my tasting note for “mystery” bottle number 1 :grin:

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:!

1 Like

Guess they ran out of Lambrusco.

1 Like

This yesterday with rare veal fillets, chestnut mustard (from a jar on the side) and M&S fries. Definitely worth the £19 paid, definitely also loves the food.

17 Likes

I fouled up sparkling wines completely. Got them all wrong,
Fortified much better. Got them all. And I cannot stand sherry , and only use Madeira for cooking. Come to mention it, I don’t drink Port either far too alcoholic and sweet. Rutherglen muscat goes well on vanilla ice cream.

6 Likes

A sneaky mid-week Coravined glass of summer!

Probably the best Sancerre Rose I’ve come across. Picked up a case at Lay and Wheeler.

Just had to have seconds and probably a waste of Argon as we might get mid-week naughty and pull the cork!

Will-power required, stiff upper lip, resist temptation, set an example of moderation and pass the corkscrew Lady B!

16 Likes

Speaking of sparkling, someone gave me a bottle of Prosecco. I can’t bear Prosecco but also can’t bear to throw wine down the sink (also can’t re-gift otherwise the recipient might think I like it, shock horror).

Turns out I’ve finally unlocked the purpose of the Aperol Spritz. Which has been quite welcome this warm week and very pleasant. Cheers!

20 Likes

Its our 14th Anniversary so we drank this Condrieu with a selection of cheeses.

Wonderful honeysuckle and apricot nose. Good balance in a hot vintage, understated stone fruit and a long mineral finish.

19 Likes

I’d say it has enough of a Nebbiolo hit to appeal to those who love that grape, just rounded and softened a little by the dolcetto. I think it’s a successful combination and this is still full of spark on day 2.

My only concern is that this is the 2013 and it still tastes fairly young. I wonder whether it would have been ready after just 5 years (as would be the case drinking the 2016 now). I have bought a heap of Italian 2016s - all sorts of things - but pretty much all of them are for the longer term.

3 Likes