01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekday drinking thread [7 to 10 October 2019]

weekday-drinking

I’ve somehow run out of ‘everyday’ reds in the rack so I’ve had to open this:

Pretty bloody amazing isn’t it? Might have to get some more. So much going on. Stunning.

Pretty decent Wednesday evening wine :wink:

Yours wasn’t too bad either I hope?

Very good indeed :smile:

Beef & mushroom pie to accompany. Still quite tannic, some dark fruit, smooth but no great shakes. It is what it is for < £10

Glass of this with some blue cheese quesadillas tonight. A match made in heaven. To be fair this wine is heaven without the food, too. This is the kind of wine the Coravin is made for.

I’ve had this a number of times in the past and always found it ok but a little sour, ‘sappy’ and thin. But this is much fuller, smoother and more perfumed than I recall. Delicious. It might not last until dinner’s ready.

A bit of a lull in my wine postings recently but numerous night shifts are ruining my wine consumption!

Anyway, Tuesday night was steak night so with the locally produced ribeye from our village butcher we had a Barbara d’Asti from Franco Mondo

In the glass this has a lovely deep ruby colour with slow, fat legs.

On the nose are primary flavours of strawberry, cherry, plum, peach, pear, and old rose. Secondary flavours are provided by sourdough and cream notes. Tertiary notes of vanilla and pine needles suggest oak exposure whilst a leather note gives hints of aging. There is a faint but pleasant flavour of white crabmeat and kelp.

On tasting this wine has a very prominent sharp astringency with slight cabbage like sulphur notes. The wine goes on to develop a late sweetness. Tannins are present - you feel every salivary gland emptying! There is an amazing full mouthfeel. There is a mild alcohol burn before a long lasting finish of plum with a final toasted marshmallow finale.

This wine is an exceptionally complex wine. It more than stood up to the flavours of ribeye beef and a strong garlic aioli that bathed the spring greens. This wine shows the breadth of flavours available from what is probably an underrated grape despite being Piedmont’s number one grape variety!

A personal landmark in that this is the first time I’ve finished an EP purchased case. Always a product of northern Rhône sensibilities, the most gentle of southern Rhône crus and a fairly gentle year, with a little age this is now distinctly Burgundian - a hint of forest floor on the nose and kirsch on the palate with very little tannin. Whilst it is lovely like this I have no regrets about drinking the previous bottles more in their pomp. It’s a shame this now only comes in 12s because at £42 for 6 it was a wonderfully cheap gateway to EP

Tonight with Puy lentils and griddled salmon fillets, we enjoyed this wine. It was the first bottle of a case of 12 bought EP some years ago. no farmyard on the nose, just fruit. Rich palate and good acidity in the finish. Enjoyed every drop.

Beef shin and chianti tortellini encouraged me to open this to accompany:

Very nice indeed. Pale red in colour, delicate fruit (predominantly cherry) but with a savoury, slightly spicy tang and a nice length. Super smooth, integrated tannins meant I kept drinking after supper was all gone whilst browsing my new World Atlas of Wine (selling at £20 from The Book People). Half a bottle gone and no regrets!

Meant to say, absolute bargain at £11, will definitely be looking out for future vintages.

Tasting at The Winery last night

The champagne was excellent value for money, but not blown away by anything else. Both rieslings nice, bone dry and super crisp, Viognier a good example but expensive for what it is. I much preferred the Valpollicella Superiore to this one by the same producer for just a couple of quid more and both the Syrah and Puglian red good but not great.

Didn’t buy any of the above, but picked up a bottle of spatlese trocken 2010 by Riffel I’m looking forward to trying.

Wonderful example. Nicely floral and fruity. Like biting into a wild strawberry.

I very much enjoyed reading about the lovely wines you’ve all opened this week. On top of all that stimulus, I’ve just unpacked a delivery from TWS received earlier this morning. It’s only 9:30 and I’m already thinking about what to open tonight. I’ll be having the same meal as below…

Yesterday with veal liver and ( over reduced ) onion gravy and way too much broccoli…

…an Etna Rosso ‘Barbazzale’ 2106 from Cottanera. An unoaked blend of Nerello Mascalese with a smidge of Nerello Cappuccio.

Fragrant nose of earthy red berries and redcurrant with a herbal undertow isn’t particularly complex but it is fresh and inviting. Medium bodied bright red fruits, fresh acidity, and some ripe tannin to begin which softened through the course of drinking. Plummy, raspberry flavours with a supple Pinot like texture and surprising depth of flavour. So drinkable it barely made it to the table !

And on Wednesday, with roast chicken and some leftover mushroom risotto…

…pulled from reserves last month. A densely fruity nose of plums, black cherry, black pepper and some slate like mineral complexity. Similar flavours on tasting, medium bodied ripely succulent fruit and light tannins, good depth of flavour, a silky supple texture and fresh acidity providing very good balance.

I think i prefer this to both the 2012 and 2013 vintages, which is high praise, as both were lovely wines. This one’s drinking perfectly now so will probably drink the rest over the next eighteen months or so.

Even taking into account the cost of three years cellaring it came in at £15.13 on the table. I envy any of you who bought the 2015 / 16 vintages EP, I reckon you’re in for a treat !

I am set to visit this restaurant at some point soon and think I’ve never seen any higher mark ups on wines! That said, its a good list, just brutal pricing: https://hutong.co.uk/mod/menu/118

It inspired me to open a half bottle of Château La Mission-Haut-Brion which is on the list. Its not the best of years, but still enjoyable. I think I need to benchmark it against a better year, as a little underwhelming QPR wise.

Thanks for the note on Rosine, I have 14, 15 and 16 and 1 bottle of 13. I’ll be pulling the 14’s from reserves now!

I’ve had the 2013 Rosine on the back of which I got a 6 bottle case of the 2016 on EP. But I didn’t go for the '17.

CLast night we held our tasting group’s committees fine wine evening. As some of us had been on wine holidays there was a holiday wine theme.
Valdesil Godello Sobre Lias- vintage not noted. An elegant ripe wine, but with a clear acidic note. Not one for me, but others really liked.
Pazo Barrantes Albariño 2018 - much more to my liking. A rich texture and long, with stone fruit and pepper.
Miguel Merino Blanco 2017 -, Rioja. serious wine, Vuira and Granacha Blanco, fermented in oak. This has a richness but no obviously oak. There a nice freshness as well as clear texture. Best in a year or so.
Samuel Billaud Chablis 1erCru Mont de Milieu 2016
Ripe and classy. A real treat, but at £30 I’d look for cheaper cote d’or.

That’s the whites. More later.

Russ

Looking at their EP notes and the reputation of the vintages I’d guess the 2015 and 2016 will have more longevity than the 2014. I generally like my wines on the younger side so I’d love to hear what you think of the 2014 if you do pull it.

Instead of the ‘Rosine’ I ordered a St-Jo Clos de Cuminaille from Gaillard in 15 and 16 which I’m hoping will deliver a similar good value experience. With hindsight, I wish I’d ordered both !