01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekday Drinking Thread [7 to 10 January 2019]

weekday-drinking

Look for a field with a good spread of magic mushrooms…only joking.

Can’t take credit for the recipe, was cooking dinner for a vegan friend at new year and came upon this recipe, I can highly recommend it. I used shiitake, but it might be better with porcini. Dead easy to make.

:rofl:

@inbar, I definitely got it from either Vinha or Portugal Vineyards, cant remember which.

Yep, I’m blocked out at work (thought that might have been a hint! :wink:) - a security issue with the certificate not valid. OK at home, at the moment anyway!

The Sparkling De Bortoli Shiraz was so good! We both thought we ought to explore sparkling reds more. Other than Lambrusco and one Portuguese example we tried a while ago – we haven’t really explored this type of wine.
This particular one gave so much – dark ruby, almost black, in fact; the nose was a hit of spice, blackcurrant jam, smoked meat and something akin to Pot pourri. The palate started with a note of spice (black pepper), moving to ripe dark fruits (somehow accentuated by the bubbles) and finished on a dry, woody note. It matched the food beautifully but man, it didn’t last long! It’s one to repeat, for sure. :+1::heart_eyes:

The term ‘magic mushroom powder’ did catch my eye as well :crazy_face::sunglasses:, but I have some myself that I bought and it is great in things like scrambled eggs, omelettes, on cheese on toast etc. I really ought to make it myself since I always have dried porcini in the house.

Though not a powder, and nothing magic-y about it, I regularly use Umami Paste, which I suspect is used in the same way as the magic mushroom powder to enhance flavours of stews, broths, pasta etc.

Here’s the recipe in case anyone is interested (you can buy it in jars, but best to make it at home):

Umami%20paste

It’s not vegetarian, however…

That’s just ridiculous Inbar :rofl:

I’m missing something here… :thinking:

You saying it as not vegetarian, as if it was a crime.

Oh, I see… :slight_smile: It’s a crime in Brighton, last time I checked…!
But seriously, just meant than unlike Magic Mushroom Powder (this product doesn’t at all try to lure people in, does it?) - my umami paste recipe isn’t for the herbivores amongst us… :wink:

At home, I normally run out of white wine and always seem to have plenty of red wine at hand… Right now however (for the first time might I say) I seem to have whites all over the place, when I really want a nice red Burgundy…

Cellartracker says I have these bottles at home…

2015 Jane Eyre Côte de Nuits Villages - 3 bottles in the garage, at least a 5 minute detour into the cold, too much hassle
2012 Domaine Maume Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Champeaux - I am not sure where this is, but probably still too young (definitely not consumed yet)
2014 Domaine Sylvain Pataille Marsannay - have been going through this case too fast, will give more time to the remaining 2 bottles…
2013 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Clos de la Roche - not in another 10 years
2014 Vincent Ledy Bourgogne Pinot Noir - 5 bottles in the garage, see above

So instead of digging more for the Maume, I decided to go Brunello and opened a bottle of the 2011 Fattoi, tried and trusted. Wednesday, cheers.

I’ve managed to hold my discipline on this one - took delivery immediately and still on track for one bottle per year, as planned.

Although that means there’s still plenty of time to ‘accidentally’ gobble up the remaining bottles too soon…

Rather you than me on the sparkling Shiraz! It’s another of those genres that can divide families.

But anyway, there’s an English sparkling red if you want to go on a horizons-broadening expedition.

Not tried it myself though.

Tonight I am having this

https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/HistoricProductDetail.aspx?pd=CM18591

Given the recent email alerting me to the 2014 being listed, and also the lively discussions on this wine on another thread, I wanted to try it. The description notes says it is ready now, but could be left until 2028, but I don’t have the patience! I also have another bottle which I may ignore for a while. Sorry the link still doesn’t work properly with a picture, the wine is the 2011 Ulysse Pauillac which I paid £20. The newly listed 2014 is available for £21. Initial impressions on opening: blackcurrants, smooth, powerful but very nicely balanced.

Sounds like it’s settled down a little since I tried it three years ago - the quality was there, for sure, but the tannins were definitely running the show at that point. The 2012 was comparatively quite friendly and approachable at the same stage.

I fancy a claret now!

It’s powerful, rich, and fruity, but not at all harsh or aggressive, so it must have toned down ( well to me anyway, I’m not an expert in any shape or form). I’m tempted to order some of the 2014, and am open to any other suggestions people may have for other claret in a similar price bracket.

On a dark, cold winter evening a glass or two of claret most definitely hits the spot for me!

Absolutely!

I definitely made a mistake not buying a few spares of the 2011, as I could tell it had bags of potential. I’ve got a couple of 2012s left though, and I’ll order a single 2014 this month - if it delivers, I’ll buy a few more to hide away for a few years :+1:

I missed out on the 2012s, I don’t think I was a TWS member when it was available, but picked up the 2011 in September last year.

I also have a bottle of the Exhibition Pauillac 2010, so that will be interesting to see how that compares to the Ulysse.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the 2014 in due course!

I’ve been lucky enough to get hold of a 1989 and 1999 Weingut Paulinshof Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr Riesling Beerenauslese
Both have been immaculately kept since purchase. Does anybody have any idea what these wines will be like. I know they are long lived. But I’m un sure when to open them. Any advice greatly received.