01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekday drinking thread [7-10 September 2020]

we had this one last night as a mid-week wine. Dark cherry and dry, it wasn’t sure what it wanted to be, went ok with dinner. Not minded to try the 2019 but I have a different Greek red in the cupboard to try which might encourage us to try it.

10 Likes

Bought this GV from Aldi I think. GV is my new love affair. I’m in for the EP advertised earlier in the year and have some other offerings in the wine cave

Not much going on in the nose with this. Quite subdued and restrained. Greenish/yellow in the glass. Elegant apple and soft pair with a long finish of white pepper. Great value for under tenner.

8 Likes

That '94 Beaucastel was offered online a couple of months ago (£50 if I recall) - did you buy then? I bought one of the bottles but it was a real disappointment - dry and dusty, with little to recommend it. I’m glad yours was so much better.

1 Like

Monday

With sausages and roasted Jack Hawkins tomatoes, some from garden made up with Waitrose ones,

2018 Giordano Negroamaro (Italy, Puglia, Salento IGT)

Tuesday

Usual pasta and aubergine/tomato sauce with no-brainer

2018 Casa Vinicola Roxan The Wine Society’s Montepulciano d’Abruzzo (Italy, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo)
This was the last of two cases (24 bottles0)of the 2018. Wednesday I collected a case of the 2019.

Wednesday

Holiday for me as we had a Deliveroo. Nando’s have restarted so I had flame-grilled hot peri-peri chicken with chips and Mrs M has a plain chicken, chips and corn-on-the-cob.
We frequently have Nando’s takeaways in South Africa (Nando’s is a South African chain) and this was nowhere as good.

We had our first bottle of
20200907_midweek-wines-wed
2018 Bodega Virgen de la Sierra Calatayud Cruz de Piedra (Spain, Calatayud)

Garnacha is one of Mrs M’s favourite varieties, which I why I bought this from TWS, but I thought this one was rather dull
Thursday
We had chilli-sans-carne with pita bread for dinner and as we were having a virtual tasting with Bolney Estate after dinner decided to accompany it with their Lychgate red.
20200907_midweek-wines-thu
2017 Bolney Lychgate Red ( England, West Sussex)
2019 A Fistful of Schist Reserve Pinotage Barbera (South Africa, Swartland)

Lychgate Red is a blend of Rondo, Regent and Triomphe, varieties whose only good point is that they produce grapes that can make a deep red coloured wine in short summers like we get in England and northern Germany for whom they were developed. Unfortunately they don’t (IMO) make a wine that is palatable. Mrs M - who bought the wine - took one sip and decided she didn’t want anymore, a decision I completely agreed with, so I broke out an emergency TWS replacement which was lovely.

And so another tedious week draws to an end and a new weekend peeps over the horizon…

9 Likes

Two, lovely Pinot Noir wines from Argentina last night, both produced from fruit grown at altitude in the Uco Valley. More evidence of the increasing quality of wines made from Pinot Noir here.

The Salentien Primus was more Burgundian in style whilst, slightly oddly, Michel Rolland’s Mariflor reminded me of a Californian Pinot the latter being slightly richer and full bodied. My notes were

Primus: Medium red centre. Pale red rim. Perfumed nose. Medium intensity. Red fruits. Cherry. Raspberry. Soft vanilla. Slight earthiness. Hint of mushroom. Rich palate. Velvety. Dry. Fresh acidity. Soft tannins. Raspberry and strawberries. Long finish

Mariflor: Red centre. Medium red rim. Medium nose. Lovely ripe red fruits. Strawberry and brambles. Hints of earthiness and mushroom. Soft vanilla. Rich palate. Dry. Medium plus acidity. Rich red fruit - quite luscious. Hints of blackberry. Long finish. Very much in the style of a Californian Pinot.

12 Likes

That’s the one - wasn’t too sure what to expect having never tasted anything that well aged. I really enjoyed it, quite soft and rounded. I don’t drink much CDP, may have to amend that.

2 Likes

Forgot to post, but had this last Thursday over a good conversation with a friend in their garden. It was a bit atypical as the aroma was a bit off putting… if I am generous I will say damp forest floor and mushrooms, if not then probably washing up liquid. It was however sensational on the palate. Smooth with morello cherries in the background. Good that you can get this kind of aged wine from TWS from time to time.

11 Likes