01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekday drinking thread [5 October to 8 October 2020]

In my defence, Monday and Tuesday are not working days for me…

Tonight something a bit different:

A pleasure to drink, but also interesting. Ripe fruity nose, a bit indistinct but something exotic like lychee. But then the palate is not at all blousy, juicy apricot fruit but with enough acidity to keep it balanced. And then lots of lovely spicy grip with a feeling like fresh ginger in the mouth.

I have no idea what food it might go with, but it’s certainly interesting enough to drink on its own.

Hope everyone has a lovely week!

16 Likes

Monday night I usually cook Today it is a couple of glasses of the Burlotto Pelaverga to keep me company. Medicinal first, but that grows into a very pretty thing with Mediterranean herbs and delicious fruit. Light on its feet can have a bottle a year, no problem.

18 Likes

Having looked more closely it would seem this is reduced by 20% (okay so I got an extra 5% off for 6 mixed bottles) and having tried it for a second time I am again underwhelmed. A bit rooty but just a bit thin and short. Actually I should go further at £21 a bottle Mr Drouhin should hang his head in shame, except clearly he has no shame because he is happy to punt his scrawny off-cuts smelling of raw meat and tasting of sod all for thirty quid a bottle!

This is why everybody hates burgundy, particularly this style of meagre pond water, but oh no, it’s Drouhin’s house style you know! Finesse, delicacy! Actually no, it’s terrible, and anybody who wants to argue the point can send me £23.99 before they start.

29 Likes

I guess this review falls in the ‘he didn’t like it’ category.

21 Likes

I probably wouldn’t have had the honesty to say it but that sums up my feelings on the many mediocre and overpriced Burg’s that I’ve had the misfortune to have tried, and which have disappointed, over so many years.

Thank you.

7 Likes

Starting the week with a wee dram of this beauty. Delicious right from the start, really lovely stuff from a new distillery in the west coast of Scotland.
Sold out everywhere but you can still get some
from the distillery ( I think)

8 Likes

I had this.

I’m afraid it wasn’t the best wine I’ve tasted. It’s £20 a bottle and for that, and the age, I’d like a bit of depth and complexity, and it may be me, it may be the wine, but I didn’t feel it was world-changing or sufficiently interesting.

It’s a grape I don’t know, and maybe I don’t see eye to eye with it. It’s also perfectly well made, and I think a good wine, just not at the price - but maybe the economics of wine-making in Austria come in here. It did have a bunch of fruit in it and some boild-sweet notes, and it is most likely that like Mondeuse it’s just not my thing. My touchstone at the moment is a £17 non-Burgundy Pinot, which was a revelation. Maybe I’m expecting too much.

9 Likes

This is something that makes me quite wary of Burgundy - there seems still so much mediocrity that costs a relative fortune just because of the location. Terrior is a lot, but I’m getting the impression there’s a lot of resting on laurels going on here…

8 Likes

Interesting - a dry Hanepoot with only 13% abv. Hanepoot berries are large and very sweet. They are also table grapes. So I presume these must have been picked before they were ripe

1 Like

In my defence, my 5 year old was sent home yesterday (for the 2nd time), to isolate as there’s been a covid case in his year group … not class, but year group! That’s 60 kids off u til the 15th! :thinking::tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:
So I opened this … last night

Brazilian wine is really stepping it up! This Semillon comes from the Serra de Gaucha region in the south where the subtropical weather is tempered by altitude. Soils are predominately balsaltic and clay. This wine comes from old and low yielding vines planted 100 years ago by Italian immigrants . (A large % of Brazilian viticulture has roots in Italian migration).
Not unlike a hunter valley Semillon but with a higher concentration of flavour at such a young age . Beautiful straw colour in the glass, with Citrus and some tropical flavours, beeswax and acacia. This has seen oak too which adds to the complexity of the wine. I’m very tempted to put some away for a few years and see how it develops going forward . A great find :+1:.

17 Likes

What a pain! I wonder how manageable this whole scenario will be if it continues this way. In the sector I work in (higher education) we’re becoming worried about having to impose lockdown on students in halls if cases are confirmed. It gives that cliché ‘student experience’ a whole new flavour… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

770 cases at Northumberland University currently. I believe there are locked in students.
My issue with the school is they should have class bubbles not whole year group bubbles! Its crazy, I’m just waiting for my daughter to be sent home next :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

A friend of mine works for the University of Manchester, which currently has within its student population the biggest hotspot in the country. They’re really struggling with exactly this and the impact on staff and teaching.

2 Likes

Yep! Manchester had cases too… In Brighton we started talking about how we might support students if we had to enforce local lockdown in halls. I suggested I do remote wine tasting sessions for them, but enthusiasm was limited :smiley:

You’re right about smaller bubbles… but the whole notion of managing the world in ‘bubbles’ often seems to me like minutes from, well, bursting.

5 Likes

Its a grim prospect but I confess to laughing out loud at Frankie Boyle’s dystopian monologue at the end of last week’s New World Order of student life under lockdown. :joy:

6 Likes

Must watch it now! :smiley: We’ve got to laugh about it all, because we’re usually moments from bursting into tears…

2 Likes

But surely you’ve all seen Boris’ latest speech, full of (empty) optimism and (false) reassurances?

2 Likes

I’d rather read Pravda… I haven’t watched any of his so-called ‘speeches’ to this date.

5 Likes

Yorkshire road trip! Hired a car, 6 pack of wines from TWS in the boot ‘just in case’

Aperitif in the B&B this evening from.said case.

Ridiculous wine, bought on the back of the IGTV Desert Island Wines with Ollie Smith. So fragrant you can barely get near the glass. You know it’s Serious before going in. Dried fruits and almonds on the nose,.you can almost hear the Christmas tunes on th radio. Yet bone dry. And full bodied. The sort of sherry that throws people.off. Unless you like sherry, in which case you’re quick off the mark for the second pour.

Not particularly nice with the peanuts but almonds were unavailable.

14 Likes

Packet of Twiglets needed, @danchaq. You know it makes sense.

4 Likes