01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekday Drinking Thread [4 to 7 November 2019]

midweek-drinks

Happy bonfire night, all! :fireworks: :sparkler:

A tasty Coonawarra Cab Sauv for us this evening – a 2016 Jim Barry ‘Cover Drive’, to go with venison steaks and mash:

I tasted it a while ago in my level 3, and really enjoyed it. I am not a huge Cabernet Sauvignon fan – and much prefer it in blends when I do drink it, but this just hits the spot with its medicinal, cedary, cassis sort of nose, and its generous dark berry fruit, liquorice and spice palate. I love the twist of eucalyptus on the finish, which leaves a fresh aftertaste. There’s good acidity too - nothing flabby here, and the tannins are present, woody, and a little tight, but well integrated all the same.

All in all a friendly and well-made Cabernet Sauvignon. I reckon it could develop for another 5 or so years, but is definitely approachable and satisfying now.

What are you drinking this week? :clinking_glasses: :fire:

Opened this tonight:

It’s my first Savoie from the wine society following my mini exploration of Savoie wines last winter in whilst I was in Chamonix. To be honest I’m really not sure what to make of it! It starts off much as I’ve come to expect of mondeuse; moderately weighty, lots of fruit and pepper, moderate tannins, but then something odd comes in on the finish that I can’t quite put my finger on and I’m not quite sure how I feel about it; a bit sharp, and oddly sweet at the same time. It has eased off a little in the glass so maybe I should have decanted an hour or two earlier (though I had no chance) it will be interesting to see how I feel about it tomorrow. I think a white drinker might take more readily to it and that sharpness is a little reminiscent of some whites I’ve tried.

Either way I’m not sure it gets close to my favourite from the winter - Ch St Philippe - which was around the same price (in France so probably a little more expensive in reality) and felt like a much more refined wine. However that could also be the holiday rose-tinted glasses; I brought a couple of bottles back so maybe I’ll have to see how that one fares back at home!

Fontanafredda Barolo 2013.

I have a sentimental fondness for this wine. I drank it as a teenager when I worked in a pub. One of the posher wines on the list.

It needs time open or a bit longer in bottle. Veering towards skinny rather than lean. Nice for a weeknight though. A decent straight bat sort of wine. I bought this cheaply from Sainsbury’s in one of their 25% off deals and I’m glad I did. Much better with dinner.

This tonight with lasagne.

I thought it rather lovely. Lots of vim for a 20 year old, sweet floral nose and smooth fresh fruit taste. Not getting any leather but plenty of red fruit and a bit of spice on the finish.

My wife is away with work and for once I really couldn’t be arsed to cook dinner, what with brownie drop-offs for my daughter and 4 year old bed-time antics from my son. Stopped off for a venison lasagne courtesy of Cook on the way home and couldn’t possibly eat it dry. Enter the Bohorquez:

I drank the 2007 of this a couple of years ago and remember being struck by its quality, so couldn’t resist a bottle of this, hoping it would live up to the previous vintage. Hell yes it does.

Powerful on the nose, inky & smoky; I’m not great at identifying fruit, but the plums in the TWS tasting notes are definitely present. Unexpectedly subtle on the palate, I’m guessing must be the maturity. The fruit, secondary characteristics, acidity and suuuper smooth tannins are all in perfect balance. A gorgeous wine that goes on and on.

Some non wine drinking friends gave us this a while back… impressed that they brought something decent, they can definitely come back :rofl:. Lots of pencil shavings, cassis, caramel etc… still needs time though , I don’t think it’s yet at its peak but lovely all the same :+1:.

Always good surprised it needs more time, the 10 cetainly does though.

First time I’m trying the 2018 vintage, was buying this with Oddbins before the W/S for a while. Rightfully popular in the community, a midweek treat after a good day at work.

I also opened this same lovely Ribera del Duero last night, having bought 3 bottles after trying it at the Spanish walkaround tasting in York recently. It’s exactly as @Brocklehurstj describes - absolutely delicious!

Monday saw the end of this fine Alsace Pinot which I’ve not tried before and which I thought was better than a Trimbach Reserve PN 2013 that I had earlier this year. Would have bought a case for Reserves, but there’s none left, unfortunately.

Oh well, at least it was tasted once!

Tonight we enjoyed a German Weissburgunder/Pinot Blanc from the Mosel. It was most enjoyable. A peachy yet minerally nose with a full mouth feel and flavours of peaches and lemons with good acidity. Not an expensive wine but hit the midweek spot.

Sometimes only a rose will do…

Ahaaaa I’ve brought some back from France , how was it ??

Saving my alcohol units for tomorrow night:

Is anyone else in the Bath/Bristol area going to Great Western Wine’s annual portfolio tasting shindig…? I’ll be the ginger guy who looks like he didn’t line his stomach enough beforehand :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

After reading the posts from @Brocklehurstj and @VinoVeritas I’m now even more excited to try the two wines mentioned. I guess I should consider myself lucky to be picking up two bottles of the ‘Steinbach’ next week.

Anyway, the cold dark evenings have turned my thoughts to the Rhone and comfort food. This knocked my socks off over the last two days…

…this was the first from a case of six bought EP and it was as good as any CdRV I’ve ever had the pleasure of drinking. Dense and full of spicy fruitcake flavours but wonderfully balanced too. All in all, a delightful combination of elegance and power with a real lightness of touch. With four years cellarage included it came in at £16.10 which seemed like excellent value to me.

However, although it’s now sold out the 2013, included in the recent Rhone offer, was offered at a measly £13.50 !!! Provided there are no secondary market implications, TWS really do come into their own when they offer aged wines such as this as they often absorb the cost of cellaring. Looking back at the cost of the 2013 when it arrived on these shores with duty and VAT paid it would have come in at just over £13.

No wonder it was snapped up so quickly !

A quick update on this. On its third day now most of that ‘strangeness’ has now softened into a much more approachable wine. There are still hints of that, in @Inbar’s words ‘wildness’ but definitely a little more tamed now. Very nice!

Le Comte Rouge is even better. Glad you’ve come round to the wine, I’m a big fan.

I have another bottle of this and one of the Comte Rouge in the cabinet back home! I must say I’m getting quite impressed with the mondeuse grape (definitely recommend it to Rhone syrah lovers). I only tried it for the first time in my Savoie exploration last year and after drinking quite a few bottles bought locally in and around Chamonix I only had one dud - an horrendously tannic wine.

Really nice. Still lovely and fresh leading with citrussy apricot flavours and moving to red currents. Plenty of texture. Reminded me a little of a viognier for some reason.

Wine shop or cellar door?

Not usually one for midweek wine drinking, but we opened up this, a firm favourite in our house through the different vintages. Very tropical and soft. Delicious.

I wish, wine shop, have a bout 6 so I best get drinking . Thanks for the feedback.