01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekday drinking thread [30 Sep to 3 Oct 2019]

It is the 2010.

Opened a bottle of 2017 La Sicadieres, Domaine des Vignes Biches Saumur (cabernet franc) last night which proved to have an enormous amount of sediment in it as I have commented elsewhere. On initial opening it was a bit of a brute with harsh tannins and acidity totally out of balance with the fruit. After an hour in the decanter it was much more balanced, thank goodness! It will be interesting to see how it’s drinking by tonight.

This is lovely but the bottle is stupid/silly. Ridiculously heavy and of a shape that is pathological to any form of stacking (almost as difficult as franken wines). Very fresh limey acidity and at just 12.5% fairly weightless on the palate. I’ve one more bottle which is defying any attempt at storage in the winefridge. Muros de melgaço 2015 Vinho Verde.

This is lovely but the bottle is stupid/silly. Ridiculously heavy and of a shape that is pathological to any form of stacking … I’ve one more bottle which is defying any attempt at storage in the winefridge.

I wonder if it’s designed to encourage immediate consumption?

I wondered that - or possibly to encourage buying in 12’s…

The Wirsching mixed case comes in bocksbeutel, said blurb says that the estate only bottles its premium wines in these… as a result:

(a) they are under screwcap, and one is encouraged in the blurb to store them upright, and
(b) TWS only sells the as a pre-mixed case.

After a few days away it was good to return home and regain control of my own food and wine destiny. A pair of lesser wines from the Rhone did not disappoint…

…stone fruit and blossom on the nose. Peachy apricot fruit with lovely weight and texture on tasting. Fresh acidity provides very good balance and leaves an almost saline bite on the finish. Food friendly and very good value (enjoyed with a Moroccan style chicken casserole).

And then this with a pincha steak ( off the supermrket shelf of sadness ) and chips…

…violets, black fruits, pepper and a savoury hint of tapenade on the nose. Similar on tasting, generously flavoured, fruit very much in the black spectrum, a slippery supple texture, good length of flavour, and best of all, some stony mineral complexity. An authentic Northern Rhone Syrah that punches above its weight.

I’ve got a stinking cold, nevertheless decided to open this 2015 Bordeaux from Jean-Pierre Moueix, to go with a veggie cottage pie:

We bought a couple of bottles of this (amongst others) a year ago, after a thoroughly enjoyable Bordeaux Growers tasting event. This is bottle number 2, and – comparing notes – this has definitely evolved since last year. There’s a touch of brick on the rim, and the nose displays more stewed/cooked fruit notes (plum, cherries, blackberry) than fresh fruit. There’s a nice touch of clove or nutmeg too and a pleasing earthy undertone.

On the palate – the stewed fruit theme continues; definitely plum/damson, but also bramble; the jalapeño note which we got with the first bottle doesn’t seem to be there, but the fresh soil is very much there. It’s medium bodied, and there is still quite a good amount of acidity; the tannins are grainy and chalky.

It is very much an everyday Claret – it won’t set the world alight, but it is nevertheless pleasurable, approachable and delicious. Not bad for £8.55, for sure! :clinking_glasses:

I have a bottle of his St-Emilion laid down. A little more expensive but still not bad at £13.50/

A light evening feta salad with a glass of this (very unseasonal).

Lots of nettles and gooseberries, light and refreshing

Mrs Jos opened this one yesterday, after one of our wine conversations.

Mrs Jos: can you go to the cellar and find that Italian wine of £19.99 that we bought recently?

Me: I rearranged the wines, and now I can’t find it.

Mrs Jos: Right, will have to go myself.

Mrs Jos: found it.

Me: can I have a look? Oh… it’s French…

https://www.houseoftownend.com/product/chateau-de-le-tuilerie-cuvee-eole-blanc

I had a taste of it, and this is a wonderfully complex wine, just looking at the golden colour already promises a lot. The bottle was empty this morning. I now am abroad again, but Mrs Jos told me she went to the merchant and got a case of it… So I have just ordered some Warwick trilogy and some Brunello without too much of a guilty feeling!

Had a glass of (new to me) rueda dorado (a new one on me) - the internet says it’s verdejo and palomino fino, unfortified but kept in glass vessels exposed to the elements for a couple of years. This one was made by somebody called Cachazo. It had an offputting smell I can’t put my finger on (not that I’d want to I suppose) but tastes a bit like a salty amontiillado with a pronounced tang (sort of Refresher like - haven’t thought of those for about 30 years). Very interesting, but not one I’ll be looking out for avidly.

I think this is quite an intetesting style of Verdejo- a bit Sherry-like, in that they are aged oxidatively (in demijons, and in Sherry barrels) and taste quite nutty. It’s definitely a bit of an aquired taste - especially if you like the fresh and zesty Verdejo - but it’s quite a complex and intetesting style in my opinion. Where did you get yours from?

fighting the cold all week like @Inbar, and intake confined to a large glass of 10 year old malt on Tuesday evening, and last night a small glass each of the Oak Valley Elgin SA Chardonnay (last glass out bottle from the weekend thread), and the Wassmer Pinot Noir (Coravin).

The Oak Valley seemed better last night than when first opened, it was fine then too, but really quite good last night, cool climate wine, thinking more of a decent Premier Cru Chablis than a Macon say.

Wassmer was good as ever, went well with puy lentil, beetroot, mushrooms and feta.

A dry night tonight again as out at meeting.