01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekday drinking thread [3-6 June 2019]

weekday-drinking

Very true! The effort involved makes me want something stronger :dizzy_face:

Purchased at Brusset in Gigondas last year.
A Rhone blend containing Grenache Blanc, Clairette Blanc, Rousanne and Viognier, a very aromatic floral nose, elderflower vanilla talcum powder, very different in the mouth, quite full meaty with some bite, dry fresh, good in the sun on the patio.

My feline bartender, Hades, chose well last night.

^Thought this was superb - great balance between verve and texture. If you like your South African chenin, I’d definitely recommend.

^I adore this wine, and while it was delicious I felt the '13 could have done with another year to really come together. It seemed to be in ‘one of those’ stages where the fruit was tasting quite sweet, but the more savoury whole-bunch notes stuck out a bit. Probably nitpicking (Hades seemed to think so), but when you love something…

Cool cat! Should’ve named him Dennis…

Genius. If anyone needs me, I’ll be spending the rest of the day kicking myself!

Chilling a half of Cauhape Jurancon as a train wine for this afternoon - heading for a birthday weekend in Paris! Expect there will be some wine involved…

Wine of the week for me and probably for the rest of June too…

… was the riesling Thann 2013 from Zind-Humbrecht. Th villages label belies the fact that it’s declassified GC Rangen from ‘younger’ vines planted in the early 1980’s ( their website has a wealth of info for all the wines produced since 2005 ).

I was interested to read that the yield for this wine was 41 hl/ha compared to a meagre 9 hl/ha for the GC Rangen Clos Saint-Urbain. The Thann bottling was £19, the GC wine probably northwards of £50. With that in mind, both seem like bargains !

To paraphrase the blurb in the Alsace 2013 offer. ‘A bone dry Riesling with a distinctive smoky, slatey taste. The expression of terroir is unmistakeable. Fine and very long’.

And it is. With bottle age it has also become a good deal more complex, with to my mind, notes of something akin to heather and paraffin wax. That might not sound all that nice but believe me it is !

I’m waffling, I’d love to see more of these ‘lesser’ cuvees from Z-H, particularly at indice 1 or 2 as they can offer stunning quality at an extremely fair price.

Incidentally, vintages from 2014 onwards are now labelled ‘Roche Volcanique’

Oh, the Cuevas De Arom ‘Pedra Forca’ Garnacha Syrah blend was good and on another day may have made a bigger impression but it paled against the riesling. I’ll be interested to see what I make of it on day two.

Had this yesterday:

NB it’s actually a merlot/syrah blend, which isn’t in the description.

I’m afraid it was a big let-down. Jammy-blah on the nose, with a bit of rubber tyre and not much else. Bit better on the palate, with a bit more clarity to the fruit, nice juicy acidity and a chalky tannic grip that led into a rather short finish. It had lots of time and air to redeem itself over the course of a long evening but no. If it had been poured blind for me, I’d have said it was a £7 corner-shop wine. Shame, as I had high hopes for it, but there we are.

On a more positive tasting note, I forgot to mention that I opened this last weekend, to mark The Eldest’s 12th birthday:

Bought a year or so ago for £25. No sediment! I suspect it had only relatively recently been bottled. Anyway, this was gorgeous - earthy strawberry nose, with marker pen, herbs, orange peel, Turkish delight and, yes, maybe some tar as well. Still lively on the palate, with plenty of structure and concentration to go beyond the advised drink dates, I’d say.

There’s lovely.

:clinking_glasses:

The previous vintage received some indifferent comments a while ago…

Those ears!! :rofl:

Can only agree about the Ghemme. Mine came as part of a mixed case, 4 x Ghemme from different vintages, and 2 x Gattinara. all now consumed unfortunately. Looking back the 2007 Ghemme was the pick of the six although all of them exceeded expectations.

As an aside, I personally preferred the wines from Ghemme to the slightly more austere ones from Gattinara . Maybe due to the 10% vespolina content in the Ghemme which seemed to soften the nebbiolo and make it more user friendly.

Thankfully I still have a bottle of the 2007 Ghemme Riserva to broach. Most likely this autumn, although I doubt I’ll be having it with anything truffle related !

Huge congratulations @NickP I know how much of a relief that must be!

Big move @Alchemist what will you be doing for wine??!?!

7 cases coming out of reserves next week to add to a Eurocave full already here, so will be shipping 200+ bottles which will tide me over for a while. :grinning:

Everyday wines will come from the Systembolaget (state run off-licence) - which sounds a bit soviet but is in fact reminiscent of something like Majestic. I’ll most likely continue with TWS EP campaigns in the coming years, refilling my reserves and then emptying into the boot of the inevitable Volvo when I’m head back here on trips.

We’ll be in southern Sweden, so I’m actually looking forward to taking the ferry across to Northern Germany and doing a few road trips down into their wine regions as it’s an area I like but know little about. We also have family in France so I suspect I’ll continue forays there as well.

However, the most important thing is the house we have in Sweden has a cellar sunk into the granite on which it is built - a very steady 12C all year round :heart_eyes: Not sure my wife knows that was the overriding criteria in property selection… :shushing_face:

Worst case scenario… TWS delivers to Sweden!

Ooo, do they? Thats interesting. How does that work with systemboglet or whatever it’s called?

I assume you’ll be running an Airbnb ? :wink:

From what I’ve heard of the wines bought by Swedish wine lovers, Systembolaget is a lot better than Majestic - basically because they can buy what they think is good rather than be led by the box-ticking market-driven ethos that leads to the crushing dullness of most large UK wine merchants (and yeah, sadly I do include TWS in that to an extent).

Yep, I’d largely agree with that based on my recent experience.

But not so much this bit…

One of the highlights of the Systembolget is the number of wines available in half bottles across all price points.

It’s £39 a case but is possible…

Will just have to make sure the wine in the case justifies the £3+ per bottle surcharge! :grimacing:

My understanding is that within the EU, if it is duty paid and for personal consumption then it’s fine to ship. Systembolaget seems to be more about restricting easy access to alcohol on the high street and levying appropriate taxes. I think over the years there is a more relaxed attitude to bringing in personal supplies via other routes.

I did contact the Swedish authorities about my wine cellar as it will be shipped by our removals company and they told me there was no problem as long as I could prove I’d paid for the wine and it was duty paid. All I needed to do was print off a few receipts/delivery notes.

I occasionally use Portugal Vineyards, and their FAQs say this…

I anticipate continuing to order from online firms like this.

Tuesday was our first wineday for the week as work got in the way of the weekend!

As it was a day off too I decided a bit of culinary experimentation was in order. Therefore we had pink grapefruit and tarragon chicken with spring greens and a rosemary, tarragon and black truffle polenta. This was matched with a 2014 Indocilis Rosso Vino Frizzante by Podere Pradarolo. It’s a natural wine made with 100% Barbara grapes in the Emilia Romagna region famous for Lambrusco. As it’s unfined and unfiltered it does benefit from decanting.

In the glass this wine has a garnet colour with mild to moderate legs relative to a lowish ABV of 11%.
On the nose are primary flavours of raspberry, spiced pear, cherry, jasmine and hyacinth. Secondary flavours reflect the natural yeasts with raw potato and yoghurt being detected. There are some tertiary notes of leather.

On tasting there is a very good mouthfeel with the fizz traveling across the palate from side to side. It’s very dry with large amounts of softer tannins. Taste wise there is a initial sweetness which leaves a Christmas style spice of nutmeg, cinnamon and molasses. This develops a citrus like long lasting bitterness which itself manages to end on a raisin high.

This wine is full of complexity which managed to match the flavours of the meal very well. It has an orange wine like funkiness and as an introduction to natural wines seems to work.

We bought this from Hay Wines in Ledbury. If anyone visits this town, not only is it a nice example of a relatively thriving independent retailer town but the wine shop is a must. They have a great range of wines from both old and new world with a great customer service.