01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekday Drinking Thread [27 to 30 June 2022]

A rather stressful working day today - you’d think the term hasn’t ended! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

But never mind, the sun is shining and the wine is a good ‘un:

Jean-Paul Brun, Beaujolais Blanc Classic, Les Terres Dorées 2019

Last bottle was consumed in July 2021, and we loved it then. This is our penultimate of three, and we love it even more now. It seems a little rounder and more honeyed than the last bottle - and my, what a lovely expression of Chardonnay!

The colour is a pretty medium gold, the nose is a melange of peach, ripe apples, pineapple, citrus blossom and honey - quite expressive! On the palate it is rounded and honeyed, with ripe and generous fruit (exotic, orchard, stone), underlined by a tingling minerality and a delicious orange zest on the finish. Everything in balance, but beyond that - there’s so much joy in this glass!

More of this, please, TWS! :star_struck:

Whilst cooking - a little (I swear!) glass of this Greek rosé:

Myrtia Moschofilero Assyrtiko Rosé, 2021

Some (quite a lot, in fact) left over from the weekend, and this is just delightful! I think it was a post by @crocos that made me rush to M&S for some cos lettuce and said wine. Nothing too complex here - but pure enjoyment nevertheless. A mix of herbal notes, spring blossom and crunchy red fruit with a moreish blood-orange bitter/sweet finish. Excellent vfm in my book!

What’s in your glass this midweek? :grinning: :clinking_glasses:

25 Likes

I only wish we had some of those Beaujolais Blanc left on the rack - honeyed indeed & lovely notes @Inbar. Hoping TWS manage to secure more cases next time around !

Tonight: Scotch eggs (no pics, they are not instagrammable & the size of a cricket ball) - made with hens eggs from a friend, very local farmshop sausage, & local new potatoes on the side. With a not-at-all local German Pinot. Wrong wine for the dish, but still a great glass:

Rich P.N. aroma, ripe fruit, morello cherry bitter on the palate. You have to like this style to enjoy (which I do) - the bitter notes are far from Burgundian or indeed not at all new World.

Spätburgunder, Markgräflerland, Martin Wassmer 2019

17 Likes

You’ve got an upmarket M&S - ours definitely hasn’t got any rosé that interesting. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Like @lapin_rouge I’m onto the PN this week so far. If there’s any residual interest in the endless saga of the Ahr Flutwein, maybe catch up here for the back story https://community.thewinesociety.com/t/ahr-valley/11467/35
suffice to say that I decided yesterday to crack open one of the three which finally made it here after 10 months. Though lacking a label and capsule and covered with dried sandy mud, with the enclosed booklet and an internet enquiry I deduced it was this - O.Schell Quattro Cuvée https://weingutschell.de/produkt/quattro-cuvee-barrique-trocken/ and actually it’s really good, quite meaty and Burgundian in style; maybe the barrique ageing has lent a little too much oak to be totally harmonious.

For fun I did a taste-off with one of my usually-in-the rack Kiwi PNs (Waipara, N of Canterbury) which retails at a similar price and the same vintage. Similar colour and depth, but more perfumed and no discernible oak; more fruit forward.
A score draw I think

20 Likes

Oh, sorry to hear :confused:

Actually, our local one is rather small - but seems to be ‘adventurous’ (for M&S) wine-wise. I never understand how stuff is distributed in supermarkets, and who decides what can be stocked where

:woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

A glass of this somehow survived the weekend.

It did not survive me preparing supper. A lovely example of what I thought was a Provence rosé but is actually IGP Mediterranée.

20 Likes

This disappeared rather rapidly this evening albeit a fairly large slug went into tonight’s shellfish risotto too…

… a Chaffey Bros Eden Valley Riesling 2019. Picked up in Asda earlier today for the paltry sum of £6.80 ( 20% off 3 wines ). Despite thinking all three bottles were from the 2021 vintage I later discovered one of them wasn’t. I was slightly concerned it might have languished on the shelf to its detriment but happily that wasn’t the case.

A floral nose with citrus fruit, minerals and a faint hint of BBQ briquettes. Crisp red apple and lime fruit with plenty of stony minerality to structure on tasting. Lovely freshness but rounded in flavour too, only 11.5% ABV, a good example of its type. a versatile food wine and terrific VFM. Bring on the 2021’s !

19 Likes

This is an interesting one! I bought a singe bottle of the 2021 in my local ASDA, because it got 95 points in a recent Decanter panel tasting and I was curious. The ASDA reviews, however, were dire! Most were one star… Except I just had a look again, and what do you know - glowing reviews are showing now - all from first week of June :thinking:

Regardless, I trust your notes more than all of ASDA customer notes combined! So looking forward to opening ours in due course :grin::+1:

5 Likes

Thanks for piquing my interest to check the reviews. Blimey, they certainly do fall into two camps but pleased to say I’m very much in the latter. There are a few critic reviews for the 2021 on their website too, all of which are extremely positive.

Hopefully you’ll be of the same opinion too when you open yours. BTW, I’m returning later today to buy more whilst it remains on offer !

Whilst I’m here, thanks for your previous notes on their Dufte Punkt Field Blend, that TWS listed, which tipped the balance between wishlist and basket :smile:

3 Likes

Ah, yes! What a fun wine! :+1::dancer:
Hope it comes back into stock…

1 Like

Tuesdays are a late return home for me after a long old marathon day at t’chalkface - 11pm on a good day, via DLR-tube-train-car - and as something tasty & light to look forwards to once home, I’ve got into a habit of knocking up a simple salad of a chopped cos lettuce with some tuna & sliced parmesan, and finely chopped toast. I love the combo of the crunchy textures and the strong but simple tastes. This time round, I also added some left-over BBQ-charred Romano peppers from Saturday. Heavens they’re nice done like that and then had cold from the fridge.

To go with this last night, I opened a 2017 Château Rouquette La Clape Cuvée Arpège. Immediately on opening, this just smelled so very good - rich, slightly honeyed, some slight saline thing, slightly herby, but generous with blossomy almondy fruit. Absolutely spot-on as you’d expect given it’s a Bourboulenc with some Roussanne.

And it proved just as good to taste too, with pretty much precisely the same things going on. Quite nicely dense too, but certainly not overly so. After a while open, the depth of the fruit was maybe almost too intense at the expense of the saline herby thing, though that would perhaps be less the case with some stronger food to accompany it.

Really really good, and a very pleasing & great value impulse buy when a case of this popped up on the list a few weeks back @ £10/bottle. Hard to imagine a wine with a better bang for your buck IMO. Interesting to see this evening how it’s held up, but you could certainly imagine these going on some while yet, and I’ll be in no rush to get through them I don’t think. Yum yum and then some :~}

16 Likes

I’m making spiced Mediterranean veg with giant couscous for dinner, so decanted this wine for an hour in prep:

Altamente ‘Volalto’ Monastrell, Jumilla, Spain 2020

Not sure what possessed me to open a 14.5% wine (maybe the chill in the air? who knows), but thankfully it is not a brute, rather a gentle giant.

Nice medium ruby in the glass, the nose hits with ripe fruit – plums, boozy cherries and blackcurrants. There’s an earthiness to the nose and a touch pepperiness too. Surprisingly fresh on the palate (perhaps from the 900m altitude), there’s depth and richness to the fruit (plums, dark cherries and bramble), coupled with Med herbs (especially bay leaf) and a kick of pepper.

There’s a slight tannic astringency and acidity is higher than expected – it’s concentrated yet fresh, though seems like it would benefit from a little longer in bottle to create a more harmonious whole.

There’s something a little rustic - if loveable - about it, and it’s not quite as classy as the (cheaper) Mares de Luz, but it’s very enjoyable nonetheless! :+1::wine_glass:

17 Likes

I agree it is a lovely wine. We stumbled upon the vineyard when we stayed at Narbonne Plage in 2017 - it was the closest winery to where we were staying and is very much sur mer, almost on the beach. Great tasting and we really liked the Arpege cuvées- if I recall correctly they also do a red Arpege too. Their premium red was truly excellent. Have bought the white since from TWS but not recently so thanks for the reminder.

7 Likes

Some midweek fun for us yesterday - we went out with friends for a tasting of orange wines at Thirsty in Cambridge. Very well hosted by the knowledgable Rob from the importers Graft Wines, and a most enjoyable evening.

While all the wines were made with skin contact, the Portuguese and Chilean examples were the only ones with much tannin - in the others it rather added aromatic complexity. Numbers 2, 5 and 6 were all quite cloudy and had various degrees of “naturalness” to their acidity. The Rioja, number 3, was unoaked, and I’d have had a hard time distinguishing it from a conventionally made wine, albeit with a good blend of fruit and salinity. The Canadian sauvignon blanc seemed to go down very well with a lot of people, though our group rated the moscatel more highly.

Interesting and informative :slight_smile:

20 Likes

Finally made it to Galicia after two years of COVID rescheduling. After a night in Santiago Di Compostela we have settled into our apartment in Vigo.

Eating in tonight with some provisions from the local grill/delicatessen and good wine from a small wine shop. Planning a trip to the Isla Cies over the weekend and probably Samil beach as the weather improves.

21 Likes

Enjoy! :grin: really envious… Can’t wait to revisit!

1 Like

Between Covid and flight chaos I did really wonder whether this would happen. I really enjoy this part of Spain and the food is exceptional. The wines aren’t bad either :wink:

5 Likes

Went to the Portuguese/English/Summer Drinking/Fine Wines tasting in Birmingham on Tuesday.

We found very little to interest us although I’ve never seen white Colares before and found it a reasonable complex drink with some character, as was the Camel Valley Bacchus and the Bramley and Gage English Dry Vermouth, this last being slightly too sweet for me.

Best wine was Earth and Sky Xinomavro - which I already buy, most disappointing the Rathfinny Classic Cuvee 2018 - an ‘English Prosecco’ as I heard someone say.

4 Likes

Blimey - that’s a wine label ! Quinta de Santa Teresa I presume ?

I note the prices are quite ambitious (between £18.72 and £29.25) @robertd did the importer have any narrative on the cost? I’m curious to know if orange wine is more labour intensive to make, or if this reflects limited production volumes or something else ?

4 Likes

So, yesterday (and today) was the Royal Norfolk Show, this year patroned by HRH Princess Anne. The first show since before the 2 year Covid hiatus. I’ve been attending most years for the past 55 years, or so - in Norfolk, at least in my day, there was an ad-hoc school holiday on the second day (last Thursday in June or First in July depending on when the end of month sat).

Not that all of those 55 years featured local Norfolk wineries in the food and drink section, to be sure ! It used to be just one stall - Pierpoint - or something like that - which a) featured common denominator wines mainly from Germany and b) never offered tasting samples.

My how times change. This year there were three (out of the six) Norfolk wineries showing and selling their wares - Chet Valley, Burn Valley and the New Kid, Cobble Hill. (Winbirri and Flint have come in the past few years but I didn’t spot them this year)

I took one for the team and conscientiously tasted all that was on offer from the three respective outlets. And I allowed myself two purchases and both went to… ta da… Cobble Hill (sorry @Andrew1990 ) their PN pink sparkling and their 2021 Bacchus reserve were excellent, though the former at £30 seemed over-ambitious. It would be honest to point out that the wines were made by third parties, the latter being their near-neighbour Burn Valley, but they are going to be self sufficient from next year.

But it was very interesting to taste-off their 2021 Bacchus reserve with Burn Valley’s equivalent and for me the clear winner was CH. BV’s was too mellow and bland -owing to too much RS; even prompting me to ask them if there was any M-L transition. But no, and so I think they have spoilt the mouthwatering fresh acidic floral signature of Bacchus.

But golly, the C-Hill version, again no M-L, but it was aged a few months in acacia, is gorgeous. Still the gooseberry, elderflower bacchus signature profile but balanced out with a hint of cream, greengage and granny smith. Honestly it if I was told it was a Pouilly Fumé I would not have disagreed.

At £20 it’s not cheap but I think merits that price point. I have high hopes for this producer. A lot has been written on this forum about still Engish wines and how expensive they are yet don’t seem to generate a profit for their producers, but I see a future for them on this count.

So I bought two of these and opened one for late lunch today - with Cromer crab, chilli, tomato, cream with pasta and home grown salad. Perfect. And it’s raining now so I don’t have to steel myself for more gardening…

17 Likes