Weekday Drinking Thread (23rd to 26th January 2023)

A Tavel is not just for summer…

Arbousset Tavel 2021

This is our fourth bottle of this delicious Tavel - which offers excellent value for money if you like this style of punchy rosé.

The colour is stunning (not unlike a wild Alaskan salmon), the nose is pretty - if not particularly complex (ripe strawberries, hedgerow berries, a hint of spice and a touch of sage perhaps?), but it’s the palate that really delights! Fresh strawberries mix with tangy raspberries, dusted with white pepper spiciness and all underlined by a pleasing savouriness. The finish is perhaps not particularly long, but it leaves a fresh and zesty blood orange note in its wake - which is just moreish :star_struck:

Very much a food wine, with some heft and good acidity to frame it, and should be a nice match for our Baharat chicken and rice dinner.

Mondays clearly could be happy! :grinning: :clinking_glasses:

29 Likes

Smells slightly “petrolly” (although I don’t think this really smells of petrol, maybe some other mineral oil product?) with peach kernel notes. Palate is bracingly fresh, with more peach, underripe gooseberries, grapes, apple. Feels like it might not be good for my teeth! But at 8.5% I suppose it’s good for my liver. Can’t win 'em all. Overall delicious.

19 Likes

Is the prum from a particular vineyard? No expert on German wines but was under the impression it would state a vineyard if qualifying for kabinett status?

Fairly sure it’s non vineyard specific.

I thought it had to be Qualitatswein Mit Pradikat to qualify for kabinett, and i thought QMP needed a vineyard? But perhaps just a region? But as I said, no expert on German wine rules.

I’m no German wine expert, but I was researching this a bit recently with the aim of starting to get my head around German Riesling.

My understanding is that a vineyard is not required for Pradikatswein (designation changed from QmP in 2007 apparently) to be labelled Kabinett, Spätlese, Auslese etc, those are determined by the sweetness level (Oeschle).

Vineyard is required if the wine is to be labelled VDP (Verband deutscher Prädikatsweingüter).

That’s what I’ve been reading, more than happy to be schooled by anybody with knowledge if I’ve got that wrong.

3 Likes

I see Pradikatswein and VDP as two separate classifications. The former focused on grape ripeness and the latter an association focused on terroir. VDP has a village provenance for Ortswein level and a vineyard provenance for Erste Lage and Grosse Lage.

3 Likes

The petrol is apparently someting labelled by scientists as trimethyl dihydropropolene (oh I hope my spelling is correct) …2 micrograms a litre and it can still dominate… but its molecules are free and bound, so it can vary with ageing. Anna Kiebiehl explains it all in her excellent book on German wines.

4 Likes

Last night with our friends from Perth WA so a mix of us and them…

Setilles needs no intro on these pages.
The Moss Wood was right up there, still very fruit driven and fresh (?). I think would have gone on a few more years. Time for this WA legend to be enjoyed.
Batailley showed the difference with a more earthy, graphite. and less fruit driven finish.

All delicious.
The Moss Wood was a standout ….

25 Likes

I bought some local veal from the market here on Saturday as it was on promotion, so batted it flat with a rolling pin and so made Wienerschnitzels, served with the classic buttered parsley potatoes. Sadly our cellar lacked any Gemischter Satz now (all gone…) so I tried them with this Pelaverga from the Castello di Verduno itself; we called in there after a tasting visit at G C Burlotto that morning back in September.

Because the veal was “elevé sous la mère” it was pink and meaty, and I thought the lightly tannic and gently smoky and spicy red was nice with it. I do like Pelaverga.

And room for a pudding wine to go with date and walnut cake with butterscotch sauce, always a risky choice to make in case it proves insufficiently sweet, but this late-harvest Picolit was fine; it had elements of fig, dried banana and caramac and a huge effort was deployed not to finish it all off.

28 Likes

Quite a pretty wine, having been open a day or two - and only 12.5%!
It’s a blend of Gamay and Pinot Noir - and tastes exactly how you’d expect such a combination to taste! I believe TWS sell their white wine.

18 Likes

Can I ask where you bought the red? The white is regular base for a glass of kir in our household.

A place called Joseph Barnes in Saffron Walden (so I get free delivery!). This has a slightly raspberry and cherryish vibe to it already, so might be along similar lines to the kir!

Summer wine opened for the week here. Enticing aromas, nice refreshing underripe fruit on the palate.

19 Likes

Clos Mont Blanc Pinot Noir ‘Unic’ 2018 - I bought this towards the end of a Harvey’s tasting evening because I liked it. My judgement is a little less cloudy right now :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Whilst I quite like it, it seems like one of those sweet (not actually sweet) vanilla wines where it could be any old grape. Not over-oaked, but oaked to compensate. Still, it’s very gluggable!

12 Likes

Drank this Riesling with Gravlax, then rib eye steak, and mushrooms and then a creamy and also a blue cheese…ok it was lovely with the Gravlax, ok with the steak and mushrooms…awful with the cheeses…

18 Likes

The Society’s Exhibition Hermitage 2009. From Chave.

Sometimes you want to give a big write up to a wine because it has a name attached to it, at others because it is an interesting wine. This is both. A very forward nose of loam and fruits which came to me while I was sitting next to the glass, really quiet and assured. Deep colour, no sign of fading or browning. Young and balanced palate, no sign of the hotness I have found in some 2009s from the south. I am so sad this is my last one, by far the best. A bargain at under £40/bottle. Keep and decant is my advice.

31 Likes

In a word; Incredible.

And that is for many reasons… It’s like a cross between a left bank claret with dense fruit and concentration and an old school Barolo with it’s savoury, acidic, tannic grip - and yet - it is distinctly, overwhelmingly, neither.

I played a guessing game with my other half of what it was. Her answer was ‘unique’, and ‘really savoury’, and ‘really, really good’… [Unashamed wine brag follows]We last tasted this with Yves Hermann-Jouffreau at the Clos a few years ago, and he was really pleased with his 2015’s for their balance and structure. I have to say he was onto something, and was significantly underselling his wine at 9€ a pop).

Left over duck legs with lentils (perfect accompaniment if I do say so myself). Perfect. :grinning:

31 Likes

Chateau Myrat Sauternes 2010. The usual decadent Sauternes fare of stone fruits, honey and caramel… even a bit of lime and herbs. Good, nice balance of acid and sugar, there’s that sugary viscosity that I love. The finish doesn’t linger too long, so perhaps not to the level of some of its more esteemed siblings, but it’s still delicious

15 Likes

Had this last night alongside pasta with feta, cherry tomatoes and basil. Not bad, not memorable. Apple and citrus, pretty high acidity and just about enough minerality.

14 Likes