01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekday Drinking Thread [22 to 25 February 2021]

Rosé is not usually a February drink but this went very well with the salmon tonight and not just because of the colour.
Its hallmark is the complex intensity of strawberry, apricot, peach lime and melon. Not to mention fragrant floral notes.

17 Likes

A much better bottle than the one that I had in mid-2020. This has come along very nicely, with slightly tart raspberries coming to the fore, faint mushroom undertones and good acidity. A very pleasant accompaniment to a read through the just released Burgundy EP list. £12.95, when purchased and good value, I think.

12 Likes

We’re starting our the evening with an APA made by a gorgeous friend of ours. He started home-brewing, like my other half, but in 2020 got a contract to brew for a local pub in Brighton - and this is his ‘house’ offering. The micro-brewery project is called ‘Moon’, and the one we’re drinking is called Apollo:

I’m not usually an ale drinker but this is absolutely scrumptious- hoppy, fragrant, with citrus and pineapple notes and a creamy texture and just the right amount of bitterness on the finish. Goes to say we’re incredibly proud of him! :star_struck: :beer:

For dinner - veggie Lasagne, and with it a delicious Nerello Mascalese/Frappato blend, purchased from Vin Cognito:

Easy drinking this might be, but it has plenty of character not to mention oodles of flavour. The nose has notes of plums, hedgerow berries and cherries as well as pepper and baking spices. Maybe even a little touch of mixed dried herbs too.

Light and yet very juicy on the palate with lively fruit (red cherries and berries mostly), it has fresh acidity and quite restrained, mellow tannins; there’s nutmeg - or maybe it’s more cinnamon? - and a touch of savoury herbs too, but a very berry finish. I shall be ordering more! :ok_hand: :heart_decoration:

20 Likes

My better half concocted a rather successful mildly curried vegetable soup served with fenugreek rotis and this lovely “baby” Vin Jaune. Dry, nutty and long with great intense nutty and mineral flavours. If you aren’t sure you’ll like the style its a less expensive experiment and my sherry loving partner is smitten.

17 Likes

Wow. This.
Had to open something decent for the large virtual half day work thing, including ‘fun time’ at the end.

From a mixed case bought EP from TWS.
The bouquet filled the room when I opened the bottle, let alone decanted. It fills the glass with aromas of red fruits and sweet rose. The scent is captivating and follows through on the palate which has a touch of alcoholic heat but is no way harsh. There’s a touch of tannic grip but it is in the right proportion for enjoyment.
I think this might be why people get into Barolo. Happy Thursday indeed.

27 Likes

Bussia is one of the top Barolo crus. Montforte D’Alba I think?

3 Likes

I have been incredibly disciplined with the Burgundy offer and limited myself to a request for a case of Sylvain Pataille’s Clos du Roy and a case of Henri Prudon’s Puligny-Montrachet Les Enseignères to add to my Lay and Wheeler Billaud Chablis order.

It’s partly space in the cellar (as I’m not a fan of paying storage charges) and partly because I have a lot of wine already (over 1200 bottles at the moment).

I really am starting to think about how my tastes have changed over the past couple of decades as well. For example, I have far too much Bordeaux and Australian Shiraz in the cellar.

I’m also enjoying discovering new wines, Greek ones in particular.

So I think my days of 10 to 12 case EP orders are probably over!

Oh, and the Whisky collection is getting out of hand as well!

20 Likes

Really enjoying this but might have been better on a summer’s evening. Mind you, then it would have vanished too quickly.

A natural wine with Chardonnay, GV and traminer. Initial reaction was “have we opened a hoppy beer by mistake”. Hops, grapefruit and a touch of burnt rubber. Very crisp and juicy. Almost tingly minerality. Unusual but enjoyable and would serve at a bbq to surprise a few folks about what wine can be. But not for the faint hearted.

Thanks @Brocklehurstj for the earlier notes.

16 Likes

Beware! Galloni cautions that getting into Barolo through 2011 will leave you chasing the Genie for a lifetime! (It’s a fairly unique vintage, in that, in winespeak, it has varietal correctness, but at the same time an easy nature).

Mind, one has to ask on that basis, isn’t the purpose of wine to be enjoyed? :thinking:

13 Likes

Lovely bright cherry, good acidity and a note of wild flowers. Very much enjoy a half bottle tonight with organic grass fed burgers :yum:

18 Likes

Opened yesterday with a midweek stir fry. No doubt too soon but as the Germany 2019 from TWS is forthcoming I wanted to try a wine to get some kind of handle on what might be expected from others ( at least in the Middle Mosel )…

…exactly what one would expect, fresh but undeveloped nose of orchard fruit, a hint of peach and a ton of wet stone minerality. Typical piquant sherbet and mineral fruit with similar flavours on tasting. Crisp acidity provides a lovely balance to its RS and the fruit, as per the 2015, seems to have a touch more weight than usual. Maybe because it weighs in a degree higher in alcohol at 9% ? It’s certainly whetted my appetite for what might be offered, that’s for sure !

Tonight with a farmed halibut steak, roast veg and filled pasta…

a Rustenberg ‘Wild Ferment’ Sauvignon Blanc 2018. This was the maiden vintage, barrel fermented in French oak ( 12% new ) with six months on its lees. Spicy oak and barrel ferment aromas to the fore backed up by citrusy fruit on the nose. Spicy oak flavours aren’t shy on tasting either but there’s plenty of gooseberry and grapefruit flavour to balance out the butterscotch and prevent it being one dimensional. Complex and well balanced it’s a SB that lovers of good barrel fermented chardonnay might enjoy. As always with any wine from Rustenberg’s varietal range it provides brilliant VFM too ( ( £9.95 ).

Looking forward to the weekend now and perhaps opening something special to try and stave off an ever increasing feeling of ennui !

All the best everyone.

22 Likes

Funny you say that because I was reflecting how nice it is having different years. If you only buy in big vintages (whatever the region) you’re left with gaps in waiting for them to come round, not to mention lacking the interesting differences the years can bring.

10 Likes

I bought more 2011 than '10, partly because after the goldrush of the last Piedmont super-hyped vintage, availability was plentiful and prices actually retracted quite considerably (I think it clashed with '15 Bordeaux?). But some of the wines are superb - the Elvio Cogno Ravera is outstanding, drinkable, quite serious, but not too serious, and ageworthy (and still available at less than 2016 prices :smiley:).

And to be honest, much as Galloni has done wonders for the region in raising profile and promoting it to the world, he also doesn’t half write some obsequious nonsense at times - and he praises 2004 to the rafters as a classic vintage, but IMHO, it’s probably the closest in profile to 2011, a vintage he damns with faint praise and back-handed compliments. Caveat Emptor :smiley:

5 Likes

Today was my first opportunity to try a recent purchase - the Tokaj Noblis Furmint 2019. I suspect this would be delicious with a chicken in cream with tarragon.

Very pale gold with hints of green. Medium minus nose. Perfumed. Rose petal. Apple. Hints of lychee. Hints of apricot. Medium palate. High acidity. Stone fruits. Mineral. Apricot. Braeburn apple. Hints of lychee. Slightly nutty. Medium finish. As it warmed, it became richer.

19 Likes

As a nod to the Burgundy offer, I’ve decided to open something I can no longer afford:

And it’s beautiful, just perfect.

27 Likes

Tonight with lamb kebabs (homemade rather than elephant leg) a new one on me…

The jury is still out on this one in our household right now. Starts off quite big, quite broad-shouldered and dark-fruited (more than I was expecting, anyway) and at first I wasn’t convinced, but to be fair to it with some air it is starting to relax a little and balance out. I suppose, unfairly, we were comparing it to the Kompsos Liatiko, which for a fiver less is the runaway bargain of the year. It is a different wine.

1 more bottle and perhaps a little better treatment next time and more appropriate pairing :sunglasses:.

17 Likes

Drank a ton of this over Christmas.

2 Likes

@Rafa I have this vision

Of you trying to feed hay to a burger! :rofl:

4 Likes

Monday - our regular penne with aubergine in tomato sauce and mixed salad with no-brainer™
20200914-weekday-wines-tue
2019 Casa Vinicola Roxan The Wine Society’s Montepulciano d’Abruzzo (Italy, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo)

Tuesday I tried a new dish, recipe as printed in The Guardian Feast magazine supplement,
Hasselback Celeriac with a Miso Glaze. Instead of serving it on flatbread accompanied with salad and tahini, I made tarka dal and stir fried broccoli in oyster sauce.
20210223_hasselback-celeriac-lentils
20210223_brocolli-stirfry

The Hasselback needed 90 minutes in the oven and not only was a hassle to make, did not look like the illustration in the paper*, but we didn’t like and will not be making again.

However, the wine was a pleasant surprise:

2020 Riebeek Cellars Cinsault Morrisons The Best Bush Vine (South Africa, Swartland)
I was alerted to this by a friend who’d seen it praised on BBC TV’s Saturday Kitchen, then later I learned it was reduced from £8 to £6 so I thought I’d try it.

It’s beautifully fresh and fruity, dark and bright, a joy. I’ve tried a few varietal South African Cinsauts and this is one of the best. Bulk shipped, screwcapped and made by the reliable Riebeek Cellars who supply a lot of own label wines; if you see Wine of Origin Swartland on an own label, (and that includes Laithwaites, Virgin and Naked) there’s a very good likelihood it came from Riebeek.

Wednesday we chose France as Country 8 in our World Lockdown Tour - as documented in the thread here and with our cassoulet had

2016 Château Saint-Jean D’Aumières l’Alchimiste Black Edition (France, Terrasses du Larzac

a Syrah Grenache blend from a fairly recent appellation in Languedoc, which was dense, intense and delish.

Thursday the cook was given a night off as long as he supported our favourite local French-Asian fusion restaurant which has a very limited Asian-Indian takeaway/delivery menu. With this feast we had

2018 Kanonkop Pinotage The Society’s Exhibition (South Africa, Coastal Region, Stellenbosch)
Perfect, just perfect.

*I wonder if the newspaper’s ‘food stylist’ actually cooked the hasselback celeriac for 90 minutes, or just used a blow-torch and colouring to get the effect, because in the newspaper the celeriac had kept its shape whereas I found the leaves fan out . There’s also a tempting recipe in the Telegraph where Diana Henry emphasises chicken legs should be skin off but accompanying photo clearly shows skin on.

15 Likes

@Brentw1 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Reading the post now it sounds like an interesting approach