01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekday drinking thread 17-20th August 2020

We didn’t look into things pressure cooker wise too carefully when we changed to an induction job (which is fantastic by the way - all the control of gas with a much easier clean).

It was the only pan casualty. Basically we used a magnet to determine which pans would and would not work. All our Le Creuset pans passed the test along with every other pan apart from the pressure cooker. And as I can make Christmas puds in the slow cooker or indeed the oven as I discovered last Christmas, my sole reason for having it has gone.

I know you can buy pressure cookers that do work on induction hobs but I’ve decided not to bother. The articles seems to imply any PC will work. My understanding is that pans need some iron in the mix so stainless steel, aluminium, copper, glass or hard anodised will not work unless they have an induction plate built into the base.

2 Likes

Opened TWS Picpoul last night and very nice it was.

I’m quite influenced by recommendations from the community and indeed reviews left on the website. I seem to recall having this a few years ago but when I first joined TWS but I wasn’t very diligent on keeping notes and it doesn’t appear on My Wines, so maybe I’m mistaken. I do seem to recall that I wasn’t that impressed. But I added this to my order earlier in the summer based on the 5* star reviews and it didn’t disappoint. Melon and herbs, just the right amount of acidity to make it a good as an aperitif or with food.

10 Likes

The first bottle I had of this was so so, nice enough but not really living up to the notes.

The second absolutely sublime. What a bargain at £14. I have plenty more bottles of it to work through now on the strength of that second bottle.

1 Like

I will. Probably get sttraight into it tonight.

What temperature did you drink yours at?

I have an induction hob. I couldn’t understand why on earth it was thought pressure cookers wouldn’t work on induction hobs. I thought the article took a very long time to state the bleeding obvious. The only difference stated I could see was the speed of induction, but using a gas hob already are used to that.

As induction hobs work by magnetism, the base of the pan must be able to be magnetised. Modern pans have symbols on the base to say which hobs they are suitable for. With older pans, use a magnet as per @JayKay

BTW I have never has a pressure cooker. Like @JayKay I was terrified when my mum used her pressure cooker - on a gas hob - with its shuddering and hissing and the valve on the tip rattling and more than half a century later that is still a vivid memory.

@Brocklehurstj 's experience with his exploding pressure cooker - thank goodness you weren’t injured - hasn’t changed my mind. But what’s the future for pressure cookers in the @Brocklehurstj house?

2 Likes

I’m not sure. Suspect it will depends on Mrs B’s opinion. It was also a slow cooker and rice cooker, so much used and great for convenience, especially dealing with those unusual cuts of meat I like to buy from our butcher.

1 Like

Wednesday we had another gourmet Indian delivery, and I grabbed this wine from the kitchen ready-rack…
20200731_weekend-wines-sat
2019 Beyerskloof Pinotage (South Africa, Western Cape)
I bought a case from Sainsbury during their 25% off sale so I paid £6

Thursday I went into the green house and picked these…

20200820_tomatoes-jac-hawkins
I grew the vine from a seed I’d taken from a beef tomato, variety Jack Hawkins exclusive to Waitrose, so it’s probably not varietally 100% Jack, but they were very very ripe, very red and delicious roasted with some EVOO dribbled over, slivers of garlic placed among the tomato wedges, dusted with ground southern French herbs and ground black pepper.

Served with Cumberland sausages and

2014 Tenute Pieralisi Rosso Piceno (Italy, Rosso Piceno)
An Italian Montepulciano/Sangiovese blend from Majestic at £7.99 when they couldn’t deliver the Barbera I’d ordered.

So ends another week. The weekend starts now…

12 Likes

Was it an Instant Pot, just out of interest?

I think so. It’s in the pile to go to the recycling centre right now. I’ll confirm once it’s been heaved into the appliance skip.

Wizard prang Brockers, good to see that you where prepared to take one protecting the glass uprights. That would have been a disastrous roquet. You might have to accept that it was the Universe saying that the chicken was off. PS a good way to remove chicken stock etc is with french stick . Talyho.

I reckon it was around 14c maybe. The wine fridge stays at 12c and then by the time you had 1 or 2 sips I would imagine that the temperature to be a couple of degrees higher

Picardos and chorizo with friends last night accompanied by a wine from Michel Rolland’s venture in Salta and pure Petit Verdot from Mendoza.

The SAN Pedro Is Malbec based but includes Cabernet Sauvignon. As you can see from the label, the vineyard is at 2035m above see level. Opaque centre. Deep red rim, hints of violet. Medium nose. Black currant, mint. Hints of vanilla and eucalyptus. Rich palate. Ripe fruit. Firm tannins. Medium acidity. Dry. Lots of black currant and vanilla. Slightly hard finish - medium length but perhaps a little woody? The nose perhaps promised more than was delivered?

Bianchi’s Petit Verdot was the favourite of the evening. 3000 bottle of this 2016 were produced from fruit grown at 1100m above sea level in the Uco Valley. Deep red centre, almost opaque. Purple rim. Medium nose. Black plum, blackberry and Logan berry. Hint of vanilla. Full palate. Lots of tannin. Dry. Low acidity. Soft black fruit. Fig. Prune. Medium plus finish. True to characteristic of the grape variety. A little one dimensional but nice wine.

8 Likes

We opened a Fevre Chablis 2016 last night. Bought EP from TWS - perfect now - very mineral on the attack, almost like sucking a rock, then apple and lemon notes and very slightly creamy at the back end. My kind of Chablis and went down well the the resident SB fan.

8 Likes

When I was a kid we were never allowed in the kitchen when mum was using the pressure cooker. I always thought she was being massively over careful, even when it did the scary hissing thing. Now I’m thinking her caution was well placed!

4 Likes

We thought it was alright. My wife likes this style of sweet white wine and we often have a glass in the evening after dinner.

It’s no vin de constance but what could I expect for £13ish? I served it fridge cold and it got better a little warmer and with some air.

The last sweet white we had was Bortoli Noble One. This is a lot lighter and more nimble.

Would buy again (but not loads of) and keen to try the 2017 that’s sat in my office in London when I can get back in there.

4 Likes

I remember the first time that I treated a lawn for moss with Ferrous Sulphate.
I might say that I had previously tried many proprietary formulations manufactured by a host of well respected corporations, some retailing at indecent prices. Useless, the bally lot of them.
A good friend suggested Ferrous Sulphate, so I purchased a Kg, diluted it as per instructions and with a watering can, applied it to the lawn.
The following day, said grass looked like WW3 had occurred overnight.
It had all gone black!!
But that was the moss, some intensive scarifying later, it looked scruffy but the volume of dead moss collected, was a wonder to behold. And within a week or two the lawn looked terrific.
Current price of one Kilogram of Ferrous Sulphate on eBay : £4.79 post free.
This is the only gardening tip I shall ever give!! :rofl: :dragon:

1 Like

Taffy on tour exact effect on lawn as yours, A1 lawns, commenced croquet turns in 3 weeks. Wife still looks a little rusty in places. Clothes absolutely ruined. Next job is flame gun to clear rockery.