01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekday drinking thread 17-20th August 2020

Cottage pie here yesterday and a Cotes du Rhone-Villages ‘Terre d’Argile’ 2012 from Domaine de la Janasse…

…from just outside of the CdP border and a blend of the usual suspects, Grenache, syrah, carignan and mourvedre. Powerful spicy, fig, plum and berry nose. Similar notes on tasting, deep flavours, but nothing overripe, whilst still retaining elegance and a lightness of touch. Very good length of flavour too. Absolutely spot-on.

In a surprising display of restraint on my part half a bottle remains for tonight.

19 Likes

Thanks for the helpful reply Peter. I may have to go diving in the recycling bin to check the spelling and to see if they give percentages of the other grapes you mentioned.

1 Like

Opened this last night as a sort of Lebanese solidarity play, even though I bought it last year. Unfortunately with a big order about to arrive I simply can’t afford to indulge in the TWS Lebanon case (probably a good job for my bank account that it keeps selling out so fast! And I already have a couple of that Hochar vintage):

Bought at the Glasgow Wine Festival last year from Château de Mediterranean for £23 which feels comfortably on right side of the VFM equation but they are now selling it for £29 which seems a touch on the wrong side, though maybe not as it really is very, very good.

A deep dark ruby slightly brickish on the edges. Rich nose of cherries, cedar, spices and a touch of oak. More cherries on the palate with well integrated tannins and acidity. Lovely bitter cherries on the very long finish. They say it’s very evocative of Lebanon which I can’t say, not having been there myself, but certainly had an exotic, spicy twist to it for me.

A mix of Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Grenache, this, not unsurprisingly, came across as a lovely cross between Bordeaux and Rhone. Shame TWS don’t sell it.

12 Likes

This week has seen my venture into Fruili with two examples both of Ribolla. One each from Gravner and Radikon.
The two are neighbours, have in the past swapped ideas but now focus on their own ideas. Gravner uses Amphora buried in the ground and both their wines spent long periods in large old oak barrels.
Both wines dark Amber in colour, but Gravner’s are rounder, more luscious but still dry.
Both are very complex with flavours of nuts, apricot, tangerine, and marzipan. Some secondary notes of burnt wood and Radikon is more tannic.

13 Likes

Hi Inbar - Saumur is lovely when the sun shines, but its been a while since last there. Can I suggest Domaine Filliatreau is well worth a visit, their cellars are burrowed into the cliff face just back from the river - with the actual vineyards ABOVE. You can get their standard wines in Waitrose, Yapp etc, but the really good wines are only available in tiny quantities at the vineyard & a huge step up in quality.

I still have a bottle of 1990 Coteaux de Saumur & it’s fabulous. Pics show it a bit dusty.

!

22 Likes

Yesterday started well, afternoon we decided to treat the lawn with iron sulphate using a watering can, me mixing wife watering everything ok and done, Got the barbecue ready for Kurobuta loin steak, wife takes off to change from gardening trousers, pork on barbecue cooking beautiful, huge screams ring out wife emerges with piebald legs,feet and hands in a rusty tan finish. Takes eyes of barbecue, pork catches fire, can’t get much worse. Wife goes into shower to try rust removal. I take off to chip shop for last minute dinner. Arrive back with local cod and chips,wife has scrubbed up ok. Faced with opened bottle of Ch Trillol slightly chilled, to our surprise worked very well with above. Finished bottle, all is well.

24 Likes

My goodness @TinVin, high drama indeed! Glad the wine went down well !

That makes me feel better about my spilling a glass of Rostaing Cote Rotie 99 over the living room carpet. Took two days to get the stain out, but my heart will never recover :rofl:

11 Likes

Wonder if that was the universe’s way of saying you should have had the fish and chips all along?

Is your heart not recovering from the almost stain on the carpet or the loss of the wine?

1 Like

Well am not very attached to the carpet.

3 Likes

Tonight is a wine-free night but subverted by members of the community I’m just trying a small glass of sherry, obviously for educational reasons rather than for drinking pleasure.

So a glass of Tio Pepe Una Palma. It smells of, well, sherry really. Maybe nutty, woody, dried orange peel. And it’s very dry. Drinking with some salted cashews as I couldn’t find any almonds in the house. It’s okay, and is doing a job of stimulating my appetite, but I don’t think this is really my ideal sherry partner. Happy enough to drink it but not one to pursue.

8 Likes

Most impressive part is the ability of the trillol to just perform, love it a little chilled and any second day remnants seem even smoother, great value great buy I believe it was Tobys email could not resist it. Going to use empty bottles as hoops once the croquet lawn is refreshed.

1 Like

Croquet lawn? … pfff. what you need is a Rabbit lawn… :grinning:

7 Likes

Wimbledon!

This week we’ve so far been drinking the Society Falanghina

I think this is really delicious. I haven’t had a Falanghina for years, it’s very food friendly, a cross between tropical fruits and sweet pear drops on both nose and palate, nice acidity. Very quaffable.
Will stock up.

16 Likes

Tonight Solace Syrah 2017, Elgin, South Africa. Nice wine, seems much more restrained than the 2016, sits on its acidicity a bit too much. Nice but not as excellent as the 2016.

7 Likes

This evening we enjoyed a glass of the Society’s Fino whilst joining a local Zoom lecture on the abolition of the slave trade, then finished off the second half of the weekend’s Society Bin No 5 with weekend leftovers, and finishing with cheese and Maribel Amontillado. Lush :yum:

8 Likes

Thanks so much for recommending TWS Fino, we drank it over the weekend an Monday…what a revelation, slightly chilled delicious. Put the tonic away.

2 Likes

Been a quiet week but enjoyed this Viognier tonight, apologies for the pic, it was already in the recycling…light, slightly peachy and hints of citrus not intense, but for the price happy. Worked well with our Pasta and pesto

9 Likes