01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekday Drinking Thread (14th to 18th June)

Welcome to Monday evening everyone. Are we halfway through the year?

Just the one glass, as a taster. I shall add notes later on as it develops in the bottle, plus Monday is a tad iffy for getting to know a whisky.

Initial impressions: seems MUCH older than the stated 12 years (this will be the age of the youngest whisky in the assemblage) - and I have no idea which distillery although it does remind me of an old (1980’s) bottle of Teacher’s bought at auction. Fantastic balance: no obvious sherry / peat / oak notes, which again points at extended maturity.

Normally in whisky circles it’s obligatory to moan about 40% dilution etc. But in this instance it works. This is VERY good - and unexpected.

19 Likes

That whisky has been on my wish list for a long, long time! Maybe it’s finally time to reel it in…

1 Like

I was surprised - it’s a lot better than I expected. There are MANY less than average 12 y/o single malts around - in fact now I think of it, possibly most 12 y/o are pretty rubbish (except Springbank, Deanston & Yellowspot). For £32 this is a very decent punt & if you like a hint of smoke, I might suggest 10 y/o Ardbeg added at 1:10 ratio.

4 Likes

I’ll join you in a Monday night whisky, needs a fair bit of water mind. Bit of apricot fruit in this, very nice indeed.

8 Likes

My short burst of recently tasted wines ends with this one, probably a better candidate for a review by Leah as she has purchased a few from the Canaries and the Balearic’s, I have drunk a couple from the Canaries but never from latter so this was a ‘first’.
Purchased in a largish order from Decantalo into which I included a few like this from not well known regions and rare grapes, this had very high critics ratings that I am always wary of as your taste is yours not someone else’s.
Anyway an unusual grape 90% Manto Negro, though not rare on the island, and 10% Syrah, first impression was of a Cinsault look/taste alike, the sweetness and smoothness was very close, and blind I doubt if you would have choosen another grape other than Cinsault, and like Cinsault it has that opaque colour, slightly oily look.
Time gave it a slightly different take on the nose a more savory aroma and it did improve slightly for me on the palette, it has some length.
I see from the label it was made in collaboration with 4 Volts who have something of a reputation, but in the end around £20 is in my opinion to much for a wine that did IMHO not live up to the billing, decent enough but Stellenrust do a Cinsault at Waitrose that is every bit as good at just under £8, while perfectly drinkable sweet reds are not really my thing, but for the sake of delving into lesser grapes it was worth a one off purchase, but not for repeating.
Usual disclaimers.

17 Likes

This wine never ceases to amaze me for how much it gives for so little (£5.95). It packs in more easy drinking combined with levels of interest you really wouldn’t expect at this price. Still one of my favourite VFM wines!

14 Likes

Drank this over three days…

…and it just didn’t ding my dong.

I know it’s very young, but the wow-factor still normally shines through the youthful, sharp-elbowed structure of a really good wine, and I just wasn’t feeling it. No obvious faults here; it was good, just not £20 good.

Ah well. I might give the Karydas a whirl later this week.

21 Likes

Off the usual beaten path for a Monday night tipple with an aged (and oak aged), fairly concentrated Zweigelt

Have 1 bottle left. Bought a 6pk ex-Waitrose Cellar. The Riesling is also excellent.
No sign of falling over. Zweigelt can age (if you let it)
Delicious stuff.

@Herbster - I was tossing up between that Xino from Dalamara vs Kir-Yianni.
In the end I went with the Kir-Yianni.
Hopefully I have made the correct decision…

11 Likes

I haven’t tried the 2017 but the 2015 was a beauty when I tasted it a couple of years ago. Might get some when it comes back in stock.

2 Likes

At our Greek wine tasting on Friday, there was a nearly unanimous preference for the Kir-Yanni (7 of 8).

Not sure if it just wasn’t coming out to play on the night, but the Dalamara didn’t do this for me either…

5 Likes

Had this yesterday evening with a friend. It was very good. Blind would not have guessed Cabernet Sauvignon, more like a Zinfandel. Plenty of fruit to the fore and tannins present, but in the background. Dust pattern aside…

And as to dinging dongs… at the online tasting I also preferred others to the Dalamara, not the Kir Yanni though.

10 Likes

Just to be contrary, we liked the Kir Yianni the least, it being a little too ‘plush’, with the Dalamara the pivot of the swing in the middle of them all.

(True to form, I liked the Markovitis and the Ktima Foundi the most, because they have tannins like gravel and acidity that’ll strip the enamel off your teeth :grinning:)

4 Likes

Sounds good - I’ve never tried Teaninich, will look out for it!

Interesting. Do you think the Kir-Yanni is just more accessible now and the Dalamara needs more bottle time, or do you suspect that even aged the Dalamara will not be the one for you?

1 Like

Was it the 2018 you had? If so I wonder if there is much difference between 17 & 18. I have a case of 17 in reserves.

Magret de Canard for dinner this evening – not the most summery fare, I grant you - but we really fancied it. I usually opt for a trusty Marcillac to wash it down with, but decided to break the mould and opened a (slightly chilled) bottle of Arbois Poulsard instead:

This varietal is definitely becoming a favourite, and Jean-Louis Tissot is a very good producer (love his Trousseau and his Crémant du Jura, too) who manages to coax something rather unique out of this grape. Might not be everyone’s idea of ‘red’, as it’s rather light in both colour and body, but it positively sings with a red fruited chorus, and just a touch of savoury/spicy hum.

Very pale ruby in the glass – as you would expect from this grape, the nose is alive with strawberries, forest berries, juniper berries and a medicinal whiff. On the palate it is light but has a surprising tannic grip which echoes the lively acidity.

There are plenty of said forest berries and wild strawberries which start out tangy, but round up to something sweeter on the finish. It’s earthy and delicious, and on second glass revealed a sangria-like note of orange peel and baking spice too. Full points in this household tonight! :+1: :wine_glass:

Happy Tuesday! :grinning: :sun_with_face:

21 Likes

Yeah, it was the 2018, the one on the list now.

1 Like

I don’t know. However, now I’ve thought a little more about it, the Kir-Yanni and Dalamara were wines 6 & 7 of 8, with absolutely no spitting; so suspect the approachability and richness of the first played in its favour at such a late stage of the evening.

When I gave them a brief decant (about 1 hour) earlier, they both smelled fabulous.

I’ve got a couple of the Naoussa cases in reserves so thankfully will be able to carry out a more controlled comparison at a later date :grin:

5 Likes

We are going Greek as well.Alpha estate have outstanding reputation. The Zalto Universals also help!!!
Slightly bitter and quite tannic, but tannins ripe. Back label gives loads of information.

16 Likes

‘Sandy clay loamy over limestone’ talk about covering all the bases! Still beats the standard argilo-calcaire that almost every french producer claims :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes