01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekday drinking thread - [12 to 15 April 2021]

I have taken today off and have been doing some cooking in the afternoon. I have opened a bottle of the Bin #8 and have to say the first samples are really positive. There is a hint of tomato leaves and an attractive savouriness on the palate. It is also young and fresh, really morish in my opinion.

Now I really need some Pinot Noir… I am looking at you Thursday.

What are you drinking this midweek?

18 Likes

Timothy Taylors Landlord, and on yonder horizon the twinkling rooftops of Barnsley.

33 Likes

Tonight I am sipping on this, opened at the weekend

Another wine for which the tasting notes have disappeared. Not tried a Nocera before but this is really tasty, brings to mind Etna Rosso in terms of the red fruit profile and acidity, but there’s also a bit of body to this; noticeable tannin and something savoury - smoke?

Also realise I’ve been pretty rubbish at posting my notes up recently so here are a few highlights from previous weeks and weekends.

Enjoyable, better than the reviews would suggest IMO. Not full-bodied but good value.

Delicious, would re-buy immediately if this appears again. A 2 on the dry/sweet scale is correct, I think there’s a tiny bit of residual sugar here, but helps with approachability when this young. Enjoyed with fish and chips and Chinese belly pork (different plates!)

Another vintage of one of my favourite Italian whites. Out of stock, but TWS description spot on. Great stuff

This was a little while ago, so no description, but remember this as a lovely SA white blend. Strong recommendation. On the re-buy list if my wallet ever recovers enough from being smashed over the head by First Half EP frenzy to place an every day drinking order.

A real surprise, big yum from me. Very delicate grenache, would never have placed it as this grape (back label says often mistaken for Pinot Noir). Delicious at cellar temperature.

Edit: For clarity, my descriptions follow the box-link thingys, although it looks like the other way round.

24 Likes

Which one should it be and what should I have with it? I have the following to hand now… will probably not have the sweet one or the GC.

• 2016 Weingut Bercher Feuerberg Kesselberg Spätburgunder Eiswein
  • 2010 Sylvain Cathiard Vosne-Romanée
  • 2016 Domaine Sylvain Pataille Marsannay
  • 2014 Domaine Sylvain Pataille Marsannay Les Longeroies
  • 2013 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Clos de la Roche
  • 2015 Domaine Parent Pinot Noir Bourgogne

0 voters

4 Likes

We opened a bottle of #008 on Sunday evening too. Exactly the same reaction as you - fresh, morish, delicious.

2 Likes

Out of interest, did you chill it slightly first?

I did chill it slightly and I think it benefitted, although even room temperature was cooler than usual in the last few days.

I actually opened this on Sunday but it felt a little unbalanced then so thought I’d wait to see how it was on Monday. And this answer is quite a bit better, so I guess I should have decanted for a little longer! It is a little young still.

This is my first Vino Nobile de Montepulciano and I’m moderately impressed; it is very good but probably no better than I’d expect for £18, which is just fine and I’ll probably buy again (the 2016 is on the list now). Quite a floral nose with leather and tobacco. Soft velvety tannins but a little acidic on the finish. Quite elegant and light for a sangiovese I’d have said, compared to, say, a Chianti.

17 Likes

Interesting Mike

I have a case of the 2015 Boscarelli VNdM and have been leaving it be for now.
2015 Chianti Classico’s i’ve tried have been drinking well, not sure how VNdM ages relatively to CCs

1 Like

To be honest I’m not hugely knowledgeable on Italian drinking dates. TWS gives this 2019 - 2024, but TWS dates tend towards the conservative. There are others on here who could give you a much better take on it. If you don’t get a response here then it would be worth asking the question on the Italian Enquirer thread:

6 Likes

Choucroute garni for dinner but I haven’t got a suitable Alsace wine to go with it at the mo so I hope that this will work

10 Likes

I have opened Bourgogne Blanc in readiness for Toby’s talk 6:30. Wow this is great. So much going on and great tension.

Not quite sure why the picture hasn’t appeared?

17 Likes

Started the evening with a little aperitif of Coteaux Varois rosé, to celebrate having a haircut plus two jabs being booked this morning. It doesn’t take much to feel elated these days! :partying_face:

The husband is busy making some prawns and asparagus risotto, so I opened a 2019 Langhe Favorita (aka Vermentino) to accompany:

This is our first wine from the Tibaldi sisters, and thanks to @cerberus for highlighting their wines (their Arneis, specifically). Pale straw in the glass, the nose is delicate – a melange of fresh yellow apple, lemon verbena, acacia and aniseed-like herbs (fennel, maybe?).

The palate is fresh and inviting, with notes of lemon and pink grapefruit, crunchy apples, wet stones and a twist of bitter almond on the finish. There’s a nice slightly savoury edge to it, maybe from the lees. Compared with a good Vermentino di Gallura it lacks some depth and that Sardinian laser-sharp minerality, but it compensates by being zesty, youthful and vivacious – and should be a good match to the food. Looking forward to trying their Arneis in due course, too!

Happy Tuesday! :grinning:

27 Likes

I fixed that. Hope that’s OK :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Inbar Many thanks for that. Much appreciated. T

1 Like

“sadly this is our last bottle, shall I order some more?”

“yes. Lots.”

Shame it’s out of stock :cry:

11 Likes

I’ve seen it suggested on this community that this might be the same wine.

In any case, could be worth a try seeing as it’s the same producer and price point.

2 Likes

Tuesday would often be a dry night but since we’re on holiday…

Courtesy of my dad. This is delicious. 50% Syrah, a bit Grenache Noir, plus mourvedre and carignan. Fresh, blackcurrant and herbs. For £11 mix six from Majestic, an absolute steal.

Jim

7 Likes

Thanks! I’m assuming we are waiting on a vintage change which suits me as I note 2019 is rated ‘Excellent’. Although not sure if that just applies to reds…

Ah yes… I’d suggest book the next day off work! then right as rain the next day.

1 Like