01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Weekday drinking (8-11 October 2018)

Well, lucky me, and what a good choice.

http://www.catenawines.com/catena-chardonnay-2015.php

This is delicious, and I know I say that often, but it’s true. Peach and melon on the nose. Rich and a bit creamy on the tongue with a long finish. Excellent!

I’ve just got back from Edinburgh and Mr.Leah has decanted this Portuguese red. It’s been aired for a few hours and probably just as well. Really nice though, lots of black fruit & subtle oak with good balanced structure :+1:.

After yesterday’s indulgences, tonight will be a simple liver and bacon dish, with this reliable old friend:

… but until then, work work work! :crazy_face:

That wine is one of my few repeat purchases - on to the 2016 on the website now but may get some more for the festive period

Had this Priorat at Jose Tapas on Bermondsey Street and must say I was very very impressed. The black cherry fruit was flawless with a lot more going on, but not too much of anything, More wines like this, please…

We’ve all too easily polished off a bottle of this over the last couple of evenings. It’s pretty brilliant, especially for £6.25.

Fuller than your average Italian fridge-door white, zingy with a hint of lime, gentle acidity but still fresh. Might get a few in for Christmas hospitality purposes!

Weekend left overs for us tonight both food and wine. Indian spiced chicken with a glass each of a Domaine Vinet Muscadet and Brazin Zinfandel.

I’m a big fan of the Brazin - maybe I said this already. It’s a big mouthful at a reasonable price, especially if you can get it on sale.

It’s mint flavoured Badoit for me tonight though; considerably more delicate flavour!

Bangers and mash with:

Deliciously darkly fruity…

Have opened this Crozes-Hermitage Mule Blanche, Paul Jaboulet Aîné 2013 today after realising its drinking window ends this year…

I have to admit that it is probably the first white Rhone that I’ve really enjoyed. It’s full, but still crisp and with some subtle richness. It reminds me of a Chablis with added peachy nuttiness - delicious!

On Monday, I opened another wine retrieved from Reserves - this yummy Gigondas Domaine Les Pallières, 2007. It is now smooth, but still fresh and wears its 11 years easily. Delicious aromas and glorious, concentrated fruit with tertiary flavours coming through. Mmmmm…

Sounds great. I ordered some 2016 Pallieres EP which I can’t wait to try, but must

Louis Latour Fleurie for us which was by far the most attractive choice at our local Chinese. Did the job nicely

I enjoyed the 2014 Mule Blanc this summer. I remember enjoying the wine when I was working in an Oddbins nearly 20 years ago. Balanced and subtle, unlike some white Rhone!

Only another 8 years to wait… It’s worth it though - just forget it’s there and then, before you know it, you have a delightful taste experience.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Weekend Drinking Thread [12th-14th October 2018]