01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekday drinking [6-9 January 2020]

If I had a teleporter you could have had one of mine. Stocks here remain undiminished due to the unseasonably warm weather and a resultant lack of desire to eat hearty stews and casseroles. As evidenced by this lot…

…three white wines, two of which I’d describe as summery !

The Ezerjo from Kamocsay is quite the individual. Characterful, soft and full of ripe musky bruised orchard fruit flavours it put me in mind of a rich Alsace Pinot Gris but at half the price. Holds its 14% ABV with remarkable ease too.

The Riesling Trocken 2017 from Schloss Lieser is a lovely example of its type with vibrant fruit and mineral freshness to the fore. This was the second of two bottles, the first seemed uncompromising and austere but I now realise I’d over chilled it. This one was served around 12 degrees and tasted more rounded and better balanced as a result.

The Manzanilla from M&S was a present from friends and a well chosen one at that. Fresh as a daisy and full of the expected aromas and flavours it was polished off over three days, instead of the usual five, and my favourite of this weeks wines.

8 Likes

A simple pleasure this evening:

A TtD Sainsbury’s 2018 Marzemino made by the Cantina Viticoltori Trentino, this is an easy-going, quaffable red, especially if - like us - you like your reds with some acidity and bright fruit. The nose (and palate, actually) are not unlike a Chinon, with cherries and bramble fruit, plus a pleasing vegetal note, and earthy/savoury character. Medium on the palate, with good acidity and mellow tannins, this is being consumed far too easily. But we ain’t complaining :+1:

8 Likes

My ‘everyday’ red wine rack is completely empty pending a delivery early next week, and I absolutely couldn’t go with a white with my steak pie and mash dinner. Fortunately and surprisingly I found I still had 4 bottles of the legendary 2006 Weinert Cabernet. It’s still glorious. What a wine.

9 Likes

Where were they hiding?

2 Likes

This coped admirably with a cauliflower curry. A citrusy fruit salad, fresh and stoney blend of many varieties. Straight back in my basket!

7 Likes

Did not know TWS stocked this. Glad you enjoyed it, St Andrea’s wines are really special.

I am having some Vacqueyras to facilitate the cooking of some chicken with mushrooms. Sweet fruited, delicious.

11 Likes

In plain sight in the cellar, but I could have sworn I only had two!