01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekday Drinking 3 to 7 August

Kicking off this week’s shared experiences. After recent commentary on Riccitelli’s wines on the tasting threads I ordered a case of their Semillon. It arrived from the Bodega this morning. I will try hard to give it a few days rest before trying a bottle!

19 Likes

Usually we only drink during the week on a Wednesday but as there’s a long drive due early Thursday morning we decided to have this tonight

Ripe plum and blackcurrant allied to a tannic edge which for me argues for leaving the other couple of bottles for a few years (there’s a slight bitterness). Will probably show much better with the food (duck confit) where that astringent note will be tempered by the fattiness.

20 Likes

A monster update.

I would have guessed this as something much lighter at first but then a bit of weight and structure came through. Excellent primary dark fruit flavours, tiny bit of grip, no sign of the high alcohol.

Then this

Deeply disappointing for me. Simultaneously very sweet and very acidic. None of the precision of previous years. However the NZ SB fans loved it, so each to their own.

Then

Super impressive. Very true to the cool climate Syrah type, cleanly made, a good savoury edge to the finish, 12.5%. You could stick an IGP Collines Rhodaniennes label on this and no one would either know or be disappointed. Another impressive bit of winemaking from Te Mata.

Then:

Great as ever. Definitely Chenin but with that savoury edge and nuttiness which sets it apart from other fizz at this price point.

20 Likes

This is from last night. We enjoyed TWS “eat and drink” with Italian white wines. Picture is our attempt at sage and pea pasta with a butter and Parmesan sauce washed down with

Extremely moreish with clementine/mandarin notes and went very well with our creamy sauce.

16 Likes

Couple of curiosities here from a “cellar audit” / clearing out at the in-laws… A 2002 Welschriesling and a 2003 Chardonnay, the two drinkable bottles of 6 opened so far. To be fair storage was sub optimal temperature-wise over the last decade or so. These two however are actually enjoyable not simply inoffensive.

21 Likes

A fairly standard bottle - Catena High Mountain Vine Chardonnay 2016. Oaky, peachy, apricot aromas. Rich, creamy mouthfeel; peach, apricot, lychee, pear. Easy to drink, with just a slight bitterness in the finish.

9 Likes

A bottle of this for me. Decent midweek SB … even if a tad unremarkable!

10 Likes

Still firing on all cylinders, this one:

18 Likes

It’s our anniversary tomorrow, but for various reasons we celebrated today instead. Any excuse to indulge a little in these uncertain times… :partying_face:

We started with duck pâté and home-made spiced plum chutney, and opened a 2015 Royal Seyssel to mark the occasion:

A traditional blend of 70% Molette/30% Altesse, which spent 36 months on its lees, it’s a fine example of a Savoie sparkling wine. Delicious from start to finish, with notes of honeysuckle, roasted nuts, ripe apple and lemon biscuit. It’s floral and fruity but with that decisive Alpine acidity - so enjoyable! (that candle was SO superfluous, by the way - too much evening sun! :woman_facepalming:)

For our main we made Lobster Thermidor, with the husband’s gorgeous sautéed potatoes and a side salad. To accompany, we opened a bottle of the Society’s 2017 Exhibition St Aubin Blanc:

I’ve been meaning to try this for a while - and so glad this was the occasion! It’s a beauty… :heart_eyes: the nose offered notes of stewed apples, peach, honeysuckle and vanilla; on the palate it was a harmonious mixture of peach mixed with honey, citrus zest and toasty oak, with very mellow notes of vanilla in the background and a lively acidity.

There was a touch of savoury/leesy edge to it too. What we liked about it was that it was seamless - none of the elements were shouting for attention - they all just played nicely together. The finish was long, ending on an orange zest flourish with just a touch of buttered toast. And it worked so well with the lobster! :ok_hand:

There was just about room left for a slice of coconut and lime cake, which went surprisingly well with a glass of 2017 Traminer Beerenauslese from Feiler-Artinger:

Sweet wines from Rust (Burgenland) are known for their unctuous flavours and this one didn’t disappoint - classy, precise and long, with notes of pineapple, passion fruit, orange zest, saffron and honey, with just the right amount of acidity to balance it out. Get it while you can! (Waitrose Cellar, £12.50 for half bottle).

And so to bed. If only one could sleep off the calories…. :sleeping: :sleeping:

35 Likes

Happy anniversary tomorrow Inbar!

2 Likes

Happy Anniversary :tada: That looks like an excellent celebration, especially midweek!

3 Likes

Happy anniversary @Inbar. What a lovely looking meal too !

Excuse the lazy notes but I’m feeling a bit bushed today after taking some virtual spin cycling classes on Monday and Tuesday. I had sufficient energy to finish this yesterday though…

…I can’t really add to TWS succinct notes only that it takes well to a short period in the fridge and that I’d be happy to drink it again.

This was opened afterwards…

…refreshingly light and floral. If tasted blind I might have thought it was an alpine blend Of Muscat and Gewurz. With hindsight, I now wish I’d saved it until the end of the week when the temperatures are predicted to soar again.

13 Likes

Happy Anniversary!

Lovely spread to celebrate.

2 Likes

Thanks all for your nice wishes! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Happy Anniversary, lovely wine and food. Where did you get the Savoie fizz from?

Still confused as to why the WS doesn’t stock any sweet wines from Rust, producers like Heidi Schrock and Willi Opitz are world class!

2 Likes

Thanks, Nick! :grinning:

From Vinatis. They have a really good Savoie range in general, as well as Jura.

Same here! I usually get mine from Alpine Wines (and now Waitrose!) - but as always, would so much prefer to give my money to TWS… agree about Heidi Schröck, and must try Opitz! Is there any particular one of his you would recommend?

2 Likes

Had a previous vintage of this:

https://www.willi-opitz.at/cia-online-shop#!/Goldackerl-TBA-2017/p/123720944/category=21235165

https://www.willi-opitz.at/cia-online-shop

Listed at 27 Euros for a half. Opitz also has a guesthouse and its a lovely but very different part of Austria from the alps or Vienna.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I’ll sniff around for it. :+1:

We’re hoping to take my daughter to Austria next summer, when she finishes her A-Levels, so planning to stock on some wines which are easier to find there. We’ll have to see what the world looks like by then, of course… :grimacing:

Maybe because it is as niche as it gets… even not in the mainstream in Austria. That is not to say that the sweet wines are not good.

Niche, for sure! But once upon a time so were dry Tokaji wines, wines from Greece and GV from Austria. The Society is good at pushing boundaries and introducing members to less known but excellent examples of wines. Less Sauternes, more Ruster Ausbruch…? :smiley:

2 Likes