01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Weekday drinking [23-25 April 2019]

weekday-drinking

Back in the UK after a longish Easter break in Hungary and was craving some Burgundy… as it is midweek, just opened a half bottle of Michel Gros - Nuits St Georges 2011. Could drink this every day if it was not for the price… Burghound says “this is really quite pretty” and I am not going to argue with that. What are you drinking after Easter?

I’m finally back home in the UK after 3 months in France and it’s really very nice to be home where I’ve started serious drinking matters with the Ch Beaulieu vertical tasting case opening the youngest 2011.

My notes in the Beaulieu discussion thread: Château de Beaulieu discussion

This was my weekend/early week.

Working my way though a tasting case to weigh up a few future purchases.

A little early for this one as it was fairly closed but a long decant revealed some of its potential - well balanced, earthy and ripe. Some nice perfume, blackberries and thyme on the finish. Punches above its weight and will be great value if you can wait a bit. I’m tempted.

Enjoyable and at this price (around £35 each) it’s a definite contender for a mid-low priced GCC. Already approachable - I found it quite ‘modern’ in its profile (which suits me) - luscious mouthfeel, a long fresh finish of cherries and mint with a hint of oak. Lovely stuff.

Treat to self for getting through another financial year self employed… yes its 3 weeks ago I should have celebrated, but you know how it is.

I’m not sure I have a valid yardstick to measure this wine against, I mean, how many 25 y/o St. Emilions at £25 do you taste? I really should have stood it upright for a fortnight and decanted gently - but I didnt - hence a slightly cloudy glass in front of me. Furthermore there will be considerable variation between bottles after all this time so take this review with a pinch of salt.

Still tannic, excellent condition, stable-yard nose, decent grip, and fascinating - you have to really look for the nuances because this is no longer brash. To be honest probabily past it’s best, but then so are many of us !

When I first saw this ‘mature’ Bordeaux on offer at this price I felt it was probably a little past its best and gave it a miss.

Just decanted this for later:-

This is a wonderful ‘all-rounder’ white. Some weight and fragrance with a freshness on top. The description is spot on. One to return to.

Lovely Kabinet as usual from Grunhauser. A combination of intensity and lightness. Lime sherberts over slate.

After a fun #twstaste, finished the evening with a glass of 2014 Paul Cluver Late Harvest Riesling. Got it from M&S when it was reduced to £5 (usual price - £17!).
My oh my, what a beautiful dessert wine! :heartbeat: both nose and palate are so complex, you think you homed in on a smell or flavour - and another one comes knocking at the door. Honey, pineapple, saffron, cardamom, orange marmalade, apricot, caramel… I shall dream of sweet things tonight… :last_quarter_moon_with_face:

Was drinking a nice Loosen Riesling with a very hot jungle curry earlier. The lovely fruity sweetness did a fine job of calming the heat of the curry. Just having a last glass now and I notice that with time in the glass a slight petrol aroma developes, though it wasn’t apparent when the wine was colder. But it’s a pleasant petrol aroma, as if the good parts of petrol had been split from the bad. I haven’t experienced it like this before.

I’ve had this (the first Barolo I’ve bought a bottle of) for a few weeks now, and after a difficult day yesterday caring for my unwell daughter couldn’t resist opening it.

It’s interesting and tasty - a fresh young wine that isn’t fruit-driven, with lots of things going on. Savoury nose, with a hint of tar at first, which dissipated with time, and the scent of hot pine, like in a sauna. Dusky flowers, bitter orange, black tea, juicy and moreish. The tannins are still evident, but they’re actually quite enjoyable already.

The only problem is I had vowed I would make 2020 my year of getting into Italian wine (this year I’m concentrating on France and Germany) and being patient with expending time and cash on Nebbiolo is getting increasingly difficult!

:+1: I really enjoyed the bottle I had a few weeks ago, and was allocated a case in the recent Barolo EP. So many great wines to explore!!