01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Week day drinking [19 to 22 April 2021]

A simple but satisfying meal of mushrooms in red wine with a gruyere cobbler topping.image|375x500 . We drank the 2019 Clos de la Roilette, Fluerie , and very satisfying it was too on a sunny but cool French day.

18 Likes

I’m enjoying the second half of this bottle tonight with heated up bits-&-bobs left-overs from the weekend - a 2017, opened on Saturday night. A rather indulgent treat for a Monday no doubt, but utterly lip-licking delicious as usual, and perhaps even better with some time sat open in the fridge - the flavours have really melded to produce something not far off perfect for my tastes, and it goes beautifully with the fried left-over new potatoes and some roasted cauliflower. I’d say the 2017s could go on quite some time yet and get even better. I do love this wine, I must say. Shame the prices have rather gone up of late.

20 Likes

Found this lurking in a rack, normally would have been consumed some time ago. Still drinking very nicely, tannins have softened, blueberry fruit, good length, refreshingly dry at the finish. I can’t remember what I paid for it, suspect about £8 or so. If that’s right it was a bargain. (From the producers of the Exhibition Victoria Shiraz, I think)

15 Likes

Also drinking Aus shiraz tonight

Actually drinking 2015 though in my wines it’s only showing 2012. Very (deep) purple colour with lots of (hot) chocolate on the nose, with a bit of dark fruit too. Soft and smooth with a sort of fruity menthol flavour. Goes down easily without much evidence of the 14% alcohol - so far anyway!

12 Likes

After a glass of the left-over fizz from the weekend (which was delicious), the claret scored on all fronts with venison burgers and green beans on Monday.

17 Likes

We are on holiday for the week, so we’re going a little bit above the ordinary for midweek drinking. (And actually, thinking about it, the number of bottles I packed was probably a little excessive).

However, a gentle start tonight, with Dover Sole, scallops, asparagus and buerre blanc (and, to my surprise, it went best with the asparagus)…

Yet another pseudo-experimental bottling, as Henri Ramonteu chases the Holy Grail of a balanced-yet-full dry Jurancon, this is supposedly the evolution of the Sève d’automne with 50/50 Gros and Petit Manseng. It’s quite nice, and far more refreshing than La Canopée, but I still can’t help thinking that he’d be as well to take a trip up to Producteurs Plaimont and ask them for the recipe for Le Faîte blanc :smiley:

20 Likes

Garden catch up over some wine yesterday evening.

Started with a glass of the Exhibition Hermitage 2011 edition that my friend had in the eto from the weekend. What a wine, I would not have said it was an Hermitage, in fact I did not guess it, making a complete fool of myself tasting it blind. In any case, it was drinking beautifully.

The Champagne did appeal. I was a bit worried after some less than complimentary reviews on her, but needn’t have been. It was deliciously appley with the finest mousse, also a steal at the offer price last December.

The Tawse was decent enough, but did not really wow us. It was slightly thinner than I would have preferred it and had a stewed fruit and clove thing going on that I sometimes like and sometime don’t. Maybe it is just that the memories of the Cathiard VR from the weekend were too recent.

20 Likes

Early bath / kick off for me today - oh the joys of semi retirement. This one’s new to me but I thought it might go well with wild duck breast (sous-vide and waterbathed at 60 deg for an hour then flash pan fried to crisp up the skin), gravy from the duck carcass stock reduction with orange and medlar jelly mixed in, cauliflower puree, new potatoes and sautéed courgettes.

The Okuzgozu wine was medium bodied and keeping its fruit - red fruits such as plums, redcurrants - after 10 years, some nice background musty mossy soiley nuances. Not a million miles from something like an entry level Nebbiolo but without much in the way of tannins; but there was quite a bit of sediment so that’s where it went I guess. Worked well with this dish though and it all got polished off without any effort.

23 Likes

I would call it the high life :wine_glass:

3 Likes

Both opened to cook beef (and pork belly) braised with carrots. The first opened as it was the cheapest white I had to cook with (Chablis and Condrieu taking up the racks recently) and used as an inoffensive aperitif. Will be hard getting through it with the pregnant wife! Even having more aperitifs.

The Faugeres opened specifically to go with the food. I must say I agree with the 1 star reviewer (not the 1 star). Been opened hours and not getting the vaunted berries and spice. Just bracing minerality. Has mellowed a bit and become a bit more jammy but not much to it. Cheap enough though. And I’d agree with another review - another example of a far too Conservative drinking window. Could take another 6-36 months and probably even out.

9 Likes

Last night with spaghetti, spicy tomato sauce with some char-grilled aubergine slices that a friend gave me from Macedonia (both her and the aubergines) we had a couple of glasses of the Exhibition Carmenere

This is very delicious and typical. I think it was part of a mixed case, probably when I was sent an Exhibition Mixed case in error. Wood smoke and sweet tobacco, char-grilled meats and green peppers. Perfect. I now have to adjust my menu for the week, which is fish-heavy, in order to finish it off :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Another long working day has just finished, so had a sip of this gorgeous Amontillado as an antidote:

Dry, spicy, nutty, complex with a long finish- it’s everything I want out of an Amontillado. Beautiful wine! :heart:

It will be followed by a perennial favourite in our household – this 2016 Teroldego, which will accompany a wild boar Ragù and pappardelle:

No sign of age in the glass – medium ruby with purple hue on the rim, the nose offers plums, blackberries, spice (clove) earthy tones, a touch of violets and a whiff of the medicinal.

On the palate it is a joyous expression of the grape – cherries, plums and bramble with a herby note and a tangy medicinal finish. Very pleasing texturally – with the classic acidity of reds from this part of Italy, and chalky but very balanced tannins. I think the 2015 offered a little more fruit concentration and pizzazz, but at this time of the evening, after the sort of day I had – who cares.

Slouching towards the end of the academic year to be born… yippee! :partying_face:

Happy Tuesday, all :wine_glass:

28 Likes

Finished off half a bottle of this last night with some chicken on the BBQ.
Really tasty Merlot which when done well, I am a big fan of. Not expensive from Sainsbury’s

Tonight we are having a lemon pepper crusted pork chop and I’m tucking into this as an aperitif and should go alright with the food.

Tasty with a bit of oak and vanilla well balanced.
Again, nothing expensive via Majestic.
14 Likes

Tonight with Osso Bucco, Gremolata and Orzo pasta (and apologies to @willrcwyatt, I bottled it on the 2004/08 - ‘saving them for a better occasion’ is such a weak excuse!)…

The 2009 Monvigliero is good - half is still in the decanter, and after the meal we have switched to the Cascina Nuova to see if it relaxes a little later - but it is clearly from a hot vintage, and so whilst being pretty good, it also lacks some of the Monvigliero aromatics and doesn’t easily integrate it’s alcohol so well when compared to more classic vintages.

(The Cascina Nuova, is as always, excellent for the price, even in a hot vintage :smiley: ).

19 Likes

Thanks for the Tawse review. Looking forward to trying some soon that we have tucked away. Do you think some more time on it would help?

1 Like

These are from Sunday and nearly ended up in recycling before the photo. Great to spend time in the garden with friends enjoying wine again. The Grange is really nice. Biscuit and apple and light mousse. The Chablis was also lovely. Golden colour with a touch of green on the rim. Lemon, butter and tarragon and a touch of sherbet without being sparkly. Perhaps some apricot as well. Good acidity and went well with chicken and tarragon in a cream sauce. 4 more to go so will wait a little for the next try.

18 Likes

I in fact drank this over the weekend but then seemed to run out of time/energy before posting something.

Donnhoff don’t make bad wines. Every review I read is positive. Every bottle I’ve had was delicious. This one, however, is special and still in its youth (the other 5 have a long sleep ahead of them). James Suckling gave it 100 points (pinch of salt time) so I was interested to see what all the fuss was about.

Pale, greenish colour. Beautiful, light floral scent with a whisper of something sharper to it. In the mouth, it opens with sweetness and then cruises through a wealth of flavours including wet stone, tangy fresh apple, something smoky and into a long, mouth-coating finish. Everything is in the right order and amount. Hard to imagine how good it will be with age.

Then you look at the label and it’s 8.5 ABV. Are you serious? How can a wine have that much texture and depth with such low alcohol?

Genius.

I need to stop drinking Donnhoff; it makes me not want to drink anything else.

29 Likes

I know exactly what you mean - such superb wines, low or lowish alcohol and massive flavour profiles. I’ve not had this particular Spatlese, but loved the trocken Riesling. Have bought several to enjoy in my retirement!

8 Likes

A good lesson in decanting and serving temp: when first opened this was very dull. 2 hours later and several degrees warmer it’s a different animal. Really enjoyable, nicely balanced fruit and oak, edging towards overripe but just on the right side of it. Acidity enough to cut through the weight.

18 Likes

Weekend reports & remnants tonight too, a very enjoyable and slightly excessive weekend of wine it was too, when taking into account the fizz from Montlouis and Nyetimber rose, plus a mystery wine from Crozes Hermitage.

Another weekend, another dry Riesling, another great value TWS buy in their absolute sweet spot - was £12.50. Started a little austere, but opened out fairly quickly giving apple, honeysuckle, citrus and something else that only appeared with a little time out of the fridge (stone fruit maybe, but I’m not sure about that). Nice weight to it, if that makes sense. Very much enjoyed by both of us over three evenings, I think Mrs B is starting to appreciate Rieslings, she even picked the grape out of a random selection of 5 white varieties. Another wine for the re-buy list :roll_eyes:

Opened this because I fancied a glass of red with roast pork on Sunday (plus the bottle has been giving me the eye since its recent arrival from Spain). It’s a really lovely Mencia, had the last glass this evening and I think it has only improved since then. Gorgeous nose, ultra-fine tannins, sweet red fruit and a nice length. Oh yes, plenty of acidity to stand up to roast pork too. It will be quite a job to resist opening my other bottle for a year or two I know would be rewarded, but I notice it’s back in stock…

25 Likes