01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Wanted: A quiet but inexpensive restaurant in central London

I go to London sometimes to have a meal with old friends, but on the last two or three occasions normal conversation has been impossible because of the noise. Does anyone know of somewhere that is usually quiet?

Interesting question - do you have a preferred general location and/or cuisine style (and budget) to help narrow down the options?

Preferably in the West End, around £30, any type of cuisine.

Try and avoid peak Thursday and Friday evenings, and book a table early for 6pm and most restaurants will be quiet if you avoid those with pre theatre trade. You might enjoy here, it’s a huge restaurant, and always has a nice buzzy atmosphere but it isn’t ever too loud or boisterous. It is also exceptional value for Central London, with plenty of choice on the a la carte, as well as set menus and the service is super.

The perfect Lodon restaurant for conversation must be Gauthier Soho, http://www.gauthiersoho.co.uk, just across Shaftesbury avenue from Chinatown. Modern French food but with great English ingredients Ring the doorbell and once inside, the noise of London disappears. A townhouse with small dining rooms, for groups of 6 or more book a private room. We were there yesterday for my wife’s birthday. The de luxe lunch is a real bargain including a glass of Deutz and 2 glasses of still wine, always beautifully matched to stunning food, plus canapes, coffee and petit fours. Or push the boat out and go for the tasting menu which currently includes a superb truffle risotto. 2 excellent sommeliers compliment great service. Yesterday wines included a Faleria (trebbiano, pecorino, and passerina), a Chave Mon Coeur and a late harvest sweet grenache noir, Carabos ‘promenade en Novembre’ perfect with dark chocolate tart. Every day it snows in London they are discounting gift cards by 25% use code SNOWWHITE.

Thanks very much, Chris. I shall put Brasserie Zedel on my list.

Thanks, Kent…wino, this sounds great!

There are a few other suggestions here you may find useful:

How do I not know this place?! Looks great, thanks for sharing.