01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Visiting Emilia Romagna

I will be spending ten days in Emilia Romagna in May 2018 based in a villa just north of Bologna. The intention is to visit the major towns in the region to satisfy my love of medieval art and architecture (Ravenna, Modena, Parma, Bologna, etc) as well as venturing in to the Veneto (Verona, Padua). However I cannot be in the region without sampling all of the wonderful food and so I will need wine to sustain me as well!
Does anyone have any suggestions for wines from the area that I can sample?

Lambrusco!! The good stuff! Not the low alcohol 80s alcopop!! That of course and the balsamic vinegar :joy:

I have never been, but if I went I would try and visit Pieropan in Soave Clasico and Rubinelli Vajol in Valpolicella.

As well as the better Lambrusco (which is seriously underrated in the UK) there are a number of good Sangiovese producers Castelluccio and Fattoria Zerbina come to mind.

Sadly I can’t offer any wine recommendations but when I was in Bologna last year I made sure I ate as much Culatello as i could - the best prosciutto ever!!

Unfortunately I can’t remember the name of the company but I had a great food tour around the city where you got to taste lots of brilliant, local stuff and the guide also told you about plenty of funky places to eat and drink.

I think it’s really tough to have a bad meal around those parts :slight_smile:

Definitely falls in to the “you learn something new every day” category. Thank you. I would have dismissed Lambrusco just because of its name and connotations. I’ll try and search out a “proper” bottle or two when I’m there and report back!
As for the balsamic vinegar…oh yes, definitely!

Thanks for the tips. Tantalisingly close to Verona so I may just have to drop in.

Really intrigued by the Lambrusco references so I must try it and, hopefully, lay my prejudices to bed. Your other tips are as good as on the way from my holiday villa to Ravenna so I think it would be rude not to investigate. Thank you

First of all sorry for messing up this thread by replying to everyone separately. I realise now that it should be one reply referencing everyone. I’m new to this so I’ve slapped my wrist and won’t do it again!
Second, thank you for the comment on the food. It would seem that I must just accept that I come home a few kilos heavier. So much good food to try (and Culatello definitely noted). I’ll research the “food tour” - sounds like fun.

not at all - we all learn as we go along, but read about the ‘how to quote’ function as it makes conversations easier to follow

much of the ‘local’ food of this area is quite fatty (in a good way) and so it is good to remember that the reason that local wines match it so well is that it helps, in those conditions to be lighter, more acidic and even slightly sparkling - it is a foil and complement to the heavier food.

This is a truth that some people miss in the “but it tasted great on holiday” reaction to wines like Lambrusco when it is shockingly different when consumed back home.

One of the true classics of the region is Zampone (pigs trotter) which is really not something you will find in many places. Do seek this out (its spiritual home is Modena) and make sure you try the Lambruscos with this!

The better Lambruscos as others have said but this area has a pretty large range of wines available at restaurants from other areas, it was here I found Valentinis Trebbiano d’Abruzzo on a wine list for not that much and years later they were asking £80 for it in Rome.
The food is good lots of regional specialties that take you away from pasta, pork and liver especially.
If you are visiting towns and cities do not miss Mantua , much better than Parma.

I’ve visited the Vallania winery, Vigneto delle Terre Rosse, which is very near Bologna. I liked the wines very much and noticed a steady stream of regular local customers loading car boots at the cellar door.