01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Vintage Charts

Vintage charts - should be up to date and advise if that bottle is worth buying, or keeping…or selling on a dodgy auction site. Or - maybe like me you buy wine to drink - so was 2020 a good year?

Are there any decent - FREE - up to date - global - wine vintage charts online !!!

The problem is that TWS chart misses out the first three years. Was 2019 any good? and what about New Zealand or the non ‘Old World’ regions - surely they have variation ?

Looking at the broader spectrum of vintage charts its deplorable. Here is Jeffords French wine Vintage Chart (extract) looking like a Space invader’s screen.

. Likewise as TWS - seems wine didn’t exist after 2019

Berry bros… who only comment on wines 2018 or older. But at least they admit that New Zealand exists - although sadly Australia stopped making wine in 2016

I fully accept that in the early years wines especially in barrel can evolve considerably. But SURELY it must be possible to say ‘XXXX’ vintage was a regional potential disaster or success ? And that is all we are looking for - generic guidance, for all wine regions, all years.

2 Likes

Captain Bob’s vintage chart is useful, although it always amuses me that Chile (you know, that country that is 4,000km long) is given a single value, whereas Bordeaux gets 6 alone.

2 Likes

And it starts at 2017/18 - except Beaujolais where uniquely they made some wine in 2019 - I guess the rest of the wine world took a holiday in 2019

So not very useful. What about all those Parker reviews of recent vintages and tasting of purple barrel samples - surely they count for something?

For some reason the link doesnt work - but it IS a live chart.

Looks good NZ has 5 regions (compared to TWS zero) !! but starts 2019.

I ignore vintage charts, I just focus on the winemaker.

4 Likes

It’s spelt wrong for a start!! :smiley:

If you Google ‘Wine Enthusiast vintage charts’ there are loads, and - depending on your tech-ability/patience/proclivity - are quite detailed and informative.

They are actually quite useful, if you read it with the knowledge that it is primarily produced for, and consumed by, the American market.

They’re also fairly good in a respect that they give you a bit of a rounded view of what raw materials you can expect. I actually wish there was more around these basic characteristics of vintage, rather than an end judgement on overall quality (which is highly subjective). I think ultimately that would help the consumer to make purchasing decisions more then rankings and scores, but ultimately come down to the tastes of an individual (and possibly the financial desperation of the producers!).

Winemakers are free to do as they please with any vintage, but, taking Rioja, it’s difficult (not impossible, but difficult) to escape the high acidities of 2005, or the densities of '98 and '04, or the balance of '01. I wasn’t aware of those characteristics until I’d tasted plenty, but if you’re tasting plenty as a professional, surely that’s the picture you’d form?

1 Like

Indeed it is - but that is their website’s error not mine.

My main gripe is still unanswered: ALL the charts start around 2019 and have no opinion on 2020 & 2021. YET if you walk around any French hypermarket, the majority of stock will be more recent - especially with Beaujolais & ready to drink lighter wines (Muscadet, Roses, Loire reds). AND all the wine experts have plenty to say about the recent harvests in XX vineyard - so it’s not as if they don’t have personal opinion & ratings for the latest vintages.

This also translates to buying E.P. (or cellar door) - should I get a case of the 2021 or the 2020 - which is more likely to be a lighter or fuller wine?