01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Vineyards in Galicia

spain

Me and the other half are currently planning a summer trip to Spain to visit our good friends there; we decided that rather than staying in Madrid, where they live –and where we’ve been many times- the four of us will head off to Galicia, and check out the local food and – naturally – wine.

I’ve never been to Galicia, but I love its wines! So if anyone’s got a particular recommendation for a vineyard to visit – that would be grand! It’s likely we’ll visit Martín Codáx, because it’s the biggest and sounds like it’s got a very good visitor/tasting centre; but smaller places are usually what I prefer, so your suggestions will be most welcome.

If you know of any interesting places to eat and drink as well – all the better.

Thanks in advance :+1: :grinning:

Inbar, Galicia is a big and not-so-easy to get around part of Spain (but don’t let that put you off because it’s more than worth a visit) so much would depend on where you’re flying to and from.
If you’re visiting Martin Codax (whose wines I avoid in favour of the numerous and fantastic smaller producers in the region, many of which you can’t find in the UK) then I’ll assume you’re in the Pontevedra area.
There are wineries everywhere (almost literally) and far too many to remember the names of. But suffice to say that over 2 visits in 2 years (firstly to Baiona and Vigo and the following year on the Santiago de Compostela between O’porino and Santiago itself) we didn’t taste a single bad glass of wine. A first and surely unique experience…
I should say that our 1st bottle of albarino was so good that we pretty much stuck to that (the grape that is, not the producer) for the duration of both trips. Been trying to find the same quality in the UK with no success, or at least not in vfm terms.

The below winery does however supply TWS (as you’ll probably know) and is not far from MC. I have a bottle of its Albarino D Fefinanes '17 in my wine rack, just delivered so I’m allowing it to settle before opening but it sounds excellent and the winery sounds well worth a visit.
Bodegas del Palacio de Fefiñanes
Cambados, Pontevedra, Spain
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SZK1k

You should definitely visit the places I mentioned above, all of which are well worth spending a few nights in and have good access to local wineries. Santiago is the highlight and possibly my favourite Spanish town - and I should say that I have no bias: I was not there as a pilgrim but as a lover of Spain, walking and wine…
This is already a long response and I haven’t even answered all your questions. I can certainly suggest good places to stay, eat and drink if you let me know your likely itinerary.
Cheers.

I’m sort of banking on it! :grin:

Thanks for your really detailed reply, @johnny! :+1: The truth is that we are only just starting to plan the trip, so I’m not sure exactly where we’ll be/for how long. We only got a week in total, and at least two/three days we would like to visit Vigo and the surrounding coastline (Cíes islands, in particular). So I suspect we won’t manage more than 2 or 3 winery visits.

Interestingly, you mention Palacio de Fefiñanes! It’s definitely on my radar, because I love their Albariño (tasted it first in the Lewes Fine Wine Summer Walkaround -it’s a beauty!)- so I think it’s definitely a strong contender.

It’s likely that we will hire a car, so I think we’ll be fairly flexible - and I suspect we will be staying in Santiago de Compostela. From what I gather, there are a number of wineries not that far from the city, so hopefully we’ll be able to combine exploring the city with a few winery visits. From what you say sounds like there are plenty of options! :crossed_fingers:

If you can recommend a nice place to eat/drink in Santiago, that’ll be great, too! Thanks again! :pray:

You truly will be spoilt for choice. But depending on your prefs., fine/casual dining, you won’t go wrong with one of these options -
I created a shortlist of places on Google Maps.
https://goo.gl/maps/zfjCiK9wJ2D2

Thanks, @johnny!! You’re a star :sparkles: :grinning:
Getting hungry just looking at the photos!..…. :star_struck: