01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Vine identification

Hi all, can anyone identify this vine?

There’s a simple test.

• Pick all the grapes
  • Crush them and put them in a container (with the skins for a while - remove when dark)
  • Allow the juice to ferment
  • Age the resulting fermented liquid for approximately 6 -12 months

The resulting material can then be analysed for known characteristics and components with the most advanced equipment known to science - the human palate

Then we might be able to give you an answer :wink:

Until DNA testing, the only way to identify varieties was by comparison of leaf, grape clusters, berry size, taste, number of seeds, ripening times & etc and because vines adapt to their growing conditions mistakes in identification were common.

There are many thousands of grape varieties in common use for wine and the table and new varieties being bred all the time. There are many old varieties grown in the UK for the table which still exist but are no longer planted.

Thus I don’t think that anyone will be able to identify this vine from these photographs.

What I would hazard is, from the plate like leaves, the lack of indentation,that this may be a hybrid (i.e a cross of vinifera and non-vinifera) but there are vinifera with similar leaves…

Where did the vine come from??

When you squeeze the grape, does the pith shoot out of the skin? If so, a US ‘slipskin’ vine

Is the flesh jelly like?

Is the skin thick or thin?

Does the (ripe, i.e. seeds are brown) grape taste sweet or acidic, or have a ‘funny’ taste?

The vine was in our back garden when we moved in, I am gradually working on getting the pruning right as last year (when we moved in) it was already a bit out of control and moving along 3 fence panels!

I will check out the grapes tonight and report back, my guess is that its a wine grape rather than a table grape due to the smaller size of the grapes and quite a high seed to pulp ratio. Just checking through some photos of various leaf types, it seems to be close to a pinot noir shaped leaf, will keep researching.