01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Versatile pre-dinner nibbles wine

If you were having friends over and wanted a bottle for you all to drink with a few nibbles before dinner (posh crisps, olives, some charcuterie and ricotta stuffed spicy piquante peppers, that kinda thing) what’s your go-to bottle?

It’ll need to be a crowd-pleaser, not too heavy, but also versatile with food… :grinning:

I would go for the society’s fino
I have recently tried this on non wine drinkers and it went down well

Look forward to hearing other options but you could do a lot worse than

I’d axe the above, as your palette would be destroyed for the good wines to follow later…

The fad for prosecco has overshadowed the appeal of cava and in any case good bottles of house champagne or possibly a white burgundy make a refreshing change. as for Fino ensure that its well chilled…

See, I’d LOVE this, but I’m not sure all my guests would get on board. Maybe I’ll try to serve it (chilled, as per @Aviationcomment’s suggestion!) but have a back-up handy (such as @tfpywfpy’s Cava!) for those who won’t be converted…

My head says this is very sensible advice, but my heart says I love sweet and spicy peppers too much… :see_no_evil:

Any other suggestions? I’d love an excuse to hold multiple dinner parties to test them out…

If you insist on something a little spicy, then …

… although like the Fino this wouldn’t necessarily be for allcomers!

How about …

… proper flavoursome pinot grigio (rather than the mass-market stuff which likely isn’t pinot grigio anyway)?

This would be my choice and would cope with most of your suggested nibbles. A bit of a Tapas approach?
Maybe the Society’s Exhibition Alberino for something with even more panache?

I think your guests would enjoy this

Or this

Or this

All excellent value, and a nice change from Champagne, Prosecco or Cava.

Another vote for fizzy wine here, maybe the Limoux or the Cava :champagne:

I’m going to stick my head over the parapet here and suggest that unless it’s a Blanc de Noirs style, a vintage or Rose fizz, I’d go with a more complex still white to balance the variety of yummy nibbles which are a vital part of your celebration. I do enjoy the Cavas and Cremants for a party but usually the nibbles tend to be of the blander, salty variety or fishy and are secondary to the wine.

You might be right, but the list given (crisps, olives, etc) are all pretty salty, and they are ‘only’ pre-dinner nibbles. Also, the more complex the white wine, with noticeable oak etc, I guess the further you get from what I think of as crowd-pleasing…

Oh ho! That’s the first time I’ve seen a member of the trade say that, though I’ve voiced my own suspicions for years… Out of interest, what do you suspect it is? My own guess is something like Airen from Spain. The collapse of the brandy market for which it was planted coupled with the rise of of the Pinot Grigio style is just a bit too convenient. Plus its neutral flavour isn’t much like PG. And all those tankers people report seeing crossing the South of France…

Pure speculation, naturally.

With those nibbles it would have to be a Sherry. I’d say any dry Sherry apart from Oloroso would work. Not a crowd pleaser? Maybe not for those who have not tried Sherry since they took some from Grandma’s sideboard cupboard. Have some other plonk on standby just in case.

On an entirely unrelated note, there are a lot of hectares of Trebbiano planted in Italy…

I love dry sherry, and am sure it would be a good match (though not necessarily crowd-pleasing). But I think it could be dangerous as a pre-dinner drink at a dinner party, at 15% and easy to drink when chilled, if you’re then going on to other wines with the meal. Though that may say more about my uncivilised dinner party guests than anything else.

Good point. Of course, Trebbiano covers a multitude of - well, sins - though in this case that’s probably a plus.

I think between us we may have just explained the Pinot Grigio phenomenon.

Tongue-in-cheek, of course. It’s an oft-said unfounded statement that there is more PG bottled than planted. But the quality of much of it is questionable. High yields make for far less flavour. So while it’s pinot grigio, it’s rare to find good pinot grigio. That’s why we’re so impressed with Matt’s version.

Looking at the replies there’s only one thing for it. You’re going to have to open a bottle of white, rosé, sherry and fizz. Do you need any help?!

I’m in agreement with @tom!! All of the above :rofl:! I do believe fizz is the best option :+1:! Enjoy

I have had very good Pinot Grigio, unfortunately forgot the name, but pretty sure it was from Alto Adige. Got it as a present and definitely exceeded my expectations at the time. Since then with more wine knowledge my expectations for wines from Alto Adige have significantly risen.