01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Venison Wellington Recipe

As I was cooking and opening something special for my Wife’s Birthday, I thought it was about time to jot down another recipe / pairing. This time it’s a variation on our favourite beef wellington, with venison taking the starring role

The first question was which cut to use. Research suggested loin but when I popped into the butchers he said he might be able to find me enough fillet for two. All I can say is that if you in the area, The Gog farm shop and butchers near Cambridge is well worth a visit. Super friendly, helpful and boy does he know his stuff. You don’t get this when you ask for a specific cut in ASDA:

Ingredients list, serves 2:
Approx 1lb venison loin (or fillet)
375g puff pastry, ‘all butter’ if possible
200g Mushrooms - portobello are good for this, chestnut should work. Just make sure they are meaty, interesting mushrooms not those bland horrible button ones
Couple of sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked (optional)
About 4-5 slices Parma ham
English mustard

Tenderstem or purple sprouting brocolli

400g potatoes
75ml Single cream
1 Chicken stock cube or ‘stock pot’
Large onion, sliced
50g Parmesan
Sage leaves

This recipe is all about prep. Firstly, season and sear the meat from chilled to get a good colour on it. I’ve used the charcoal oven as it lends itself nicely to a hot char but a very hot pan does the job as well. Note that you are just colouring the meat, not cooking it. 30 seconds on all sides is plenty. Allow to cool

In the meantime, blitz up or finely chop the mushrooms and cook in a dry pan with the thyme and seasoning to remove most of the water (about 10 mins, medium heat). This forms your duxelles - basically a mushroom paste. Allow to cool

Brush the meat with a couple of tablespoons of mustard and coat with your duxelles. Wrap this with the Parma ham to form a parcel - the easiest method is to form a ‘sheet’ of the ham pieces on some clingfilm, lay the meat in the middle and wrap like a parcel. It doesn’t hurt to refrigerate the parcel in the clingfilm for 15 mins to set the shape

Roll the pastry to your desired thickness, remove the clingfilm (obviously) and wrap the meat in the pastry. I keep the seam at the bottom and use either an egg or milk wash to seal the joints. Trim any excess, brush with egg, place on a tray and allow to rest in the fridge for another 15 minutes

Heat the oven to 200 C

You can now prepare your dauphinois. Finely slice the washed potatoes (peeling optional, we tend not to) with a mandolin and lightly rinse the slices. Toss in a bowl with the cream. Heat some oil in a baking tin and add the onion, stock and sage - cook but be careful not to burn. Toss this mix through with your potatoes and layer it all in the baking tin. Grate some Parmesan over the top. This can of course cook alongside your wellington - I put both in at the same time with the gratin on the shelf below and remove it 5 mins before I carve the wellington as the dauphinois cooks in about 25 mins

The wellington was lightly scored (careful not to cut through), brushed again with egg and put in the oven for 10 minutes, heat reduced to 180 C and cooked for another 14 minutes. Remove and rest for 10-15 minutes

Meanwhile, prep and cook the broccoli. This time I blanched it and finished off in a pan with some olive oil and a little garlic
The pastry wasn’t quite as dark as I’d have liked and was only just cooked on the bottom. Next time I’ll keep it in the hotter oven for longer before reducing heat

The wine to accompany this is a 2001 Vieux Telegraphe ‘La Crau’ that I’ve been waiting for an occasion and a fitting menu to open.

I’ve read mixed opinion on its state of readiness but general opinion is that it is still in good form and probably somewhere near its peak
This has a lovely smokey nose, touch of violet and some menthol. A wine that smells like it means business

The palate was powerfully balanced rather than heavy. Raspberry, cherry and cranberry give way to a smoky herbal finish. Really very good. Suspect this probably was around its peak, happy to open it when I did as was my only bottle!

Dessert was a tarte tatin with custard. This was my first attempt at one and it wasn’t perfect so I’ll perfect the recipe rather than write up something half finished

To accompany my (slightly burnt) tarte tatin I picked a 2016 Sweet Agnes Riesling from Seifried, Nelson

This was pretty much everything I look for in a sweet wine. Nice petrol nose too. Sweet orange and apricot, searingly crisp acidity. Indulgent yet so fresh. A lovely finish to the meal

Our evening ended off with an unexpected visit. remind me, this is October in England - right?!

Recipes for wine lovers - WIKI

Looks amazing. A Christmas day contender perhaps!

Ohhhh myyyyy goodness!!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

This looks incredible! Although I’m an alright cook (well… no complaints so far, anyway!), I have to admit I’d never normally attempt this dish because I wouldn’t have felt fully confident I’d do it justice (and that’s a fairly pricy bit of meat for me to ruin, I imagine!) but with your instructions and photos I’d definitely give it a go now! :smiley: Thank you.

Looking forward to your tarte tatin recipe - I haven’t made one of them in nearly 10 years!

This looks absolutely amazing, @NickP!! :yum::+1::+1:
I’m glad it worked so well for you, as it’s our plan to have the same for Christmas- so will follow your recipe!

We buy game on line - buying in large quantities and freeze it, then replenish. The company we buy it from actually sells a ready-made venison Wellington, but we decided we’re going to do it from scratch come Xmas day.

Sounds like the VT was the perfect wine match, too! At the BYOB on Monday, @Alex88 brought a 2004 VT, which was still fragrant, spicy and fruity, with a robust structure. Gorgeous wine! Good to hear yours was still holding its own after all these years!

What a lucky wife! :ok_hand::wink:

I’ve made virtually the exact same recipe as you @NickP in the past . HOWEVER mine did NOT look as good and neat as yours . We had some fillet from some deer I brought back from Norway and it was absolutely gorgeous. Your pairings sound amazing and you’ve now inspired me to give it another go if only to try and get it as neat as yours ! :wink:.

Wow, that looks fantastic!

A terrific recipe with a tremendous result.
I have made “beef wellington,” I was fortunate enough to get my very large puff pastry sheet from a local bakery. And I did not use a crepe or pancake as so many recipes suggest.
Carved at the dining table makes an unforgettable occasion!
And VT2001 was a good vintage.
Well done, Sir!!

Thanks for the lovely comments. I have to say that, while I don’t like to blow my own trumpet, it was pretty special. Definitely one for a special occasion rather than an every-dayer!

@Inbar - I saw the 2004 VT in the lunch thread was still doing very well :slight_smile: The wine went beautifully with dinner

@laura - its really not that hard - definitely give it a go! Fillet steak works very well too as you would expect. Over cooked (burnt) the sugar for the tatin so it went downhill from there. Custard we good though! :stuck_out_tongue:

@leah - nobody has ever described my cooking as neat before!!

Wow, that looks amazing. My only suggestion would be to encourage you to have a go at Delia’s quick flaky pastry which is incredibly easy to make and immensely satisfying to say you made your own. It’s in her Complete cookbook but also online at

Ooh thanks - I’ll take a look!

I’ve seen recipes with and without this, never felt the need myself - the ham does a great job and adds plenty of flavour (so much so I happily finished off the ham / duxelle / pastry ends in the kitchen after dinner)!

Well Done Nick, A thoughtful presentation and Marvellous Wine Accompaniments.
Your Wife must have been very impressed.

Thank you. It went down very well!