01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

"Vegan Chilli" : Vegan bean pot

recipe

Hello All,
This is my first post :blush:

We just cooked up a large vegan bean pot containing pinto, black eyed bean, kidney beans built upon a “soffritto” of garlic, onion, celery, shallot, and carrot later augmented by fresh italian cherry tomatoes. The quite spicey “heat” of the “Vegan Chili” comes from the chipotle powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper so a slightly Southern Italian vibe to this bean stew. Can anyone suggest robust Italian Reds or Rhone wines [e.g. Gigondas] for these flavours?
Signed with gratitude,
A Flexatarian increasingly surrounded by Vegans

Community Tasting Events Schedule for 2018

Go with a Lambrusco … in particular a Sorbara Lambrusco !! You will NOT regret it :wink:!

That’s an interesting question. I had a similar dilemma with a carnivorous twist …

In our conversation the suggestions were largely South American but @leah did link to a specific recommendation for her Lambrusco suggestion (they’re going to need to hire her as a brand ambassador soon I think)

:wink:

There was a potentially interesting suggestion made by @BenFranksWine - for both adding a twist to the dish and matching it with an Austrian wine. Might be your thing?

Was this for last night or are you still searching?

Sounds yummy! I would go for a Sicilian red - either a Nero D’avola or a Nerello Mascalese (or a blend of both). Leah’s Lambrusco suggestion also sounds great!

Large bean pot will last for several days and Vegan friends will be invited mid-week so this is an ongoing query. Many Thanks from Michael

What did you go for in the end?
Agree with @Inbar re: Nero d’Avola. Had a Nero d’Avola - Shiraz Sicilian blend last year that would probably suit very nicely!

I had a vegan chilli dish in January (did Veganuary for the first time this year) and mine had a smoked paprika kick, and we paired with a Chilean Carmenere, which worked a treat. (Not old world, I know, but thought it was worth mentioning)

The Vegan Chili vegan guests will dine with us on Wednesday: I am still dithering on the bottles which will now be “emergency” bottles from the shops including Majestic, Sainsbury, and Waitrose. Except for Argentina and [overpriced] USA, I search for wines of France and Italy almost exclusively since I know what to expect from Primitivo to Amarone. Since Bordeaux is too expensive in UK, that leaves Madiran, Cahors, Rhone and some others. Thus, I will probably go for a rich Gigondas or Lirac and, from Italy, Nero d’Avola is a good match.

BTW, “smoked paprika kick…with a Chilean Carmenere” sounds great, 2 exotic flavours which can match well. This Vegan Chili owes much to Mexican cuisine but the “soffritto” was an Italian foundation as when borlotti beans are cooked up as a “Primo Piatto” in Italy:

Thank you so much for taking the time to add this: I am a Lambrusco apostate and need tutoring: what are the classic Lambrusco matches in Italy?

Nerello Mascalese is a bit too light-bodied for this recipe which has a spicey kick ! What are the classic food pairs with Nerello Mascalese in Sicily?

"Because of Nerello’s balanced tannin and fruitiness, it pairs rather well with fish. "
Love the idea of red wine with fish!
http://winefolly.com/review/amazing-red-nerello-mascalese/

Mexican threads will always be welcome: Mexican food pairings [like Picadillo della Costa: brilliant!] with California wines can work since the geology is not a million miles from Mexico to Napa. We pay a premium for California reds so Italy, Portugal, Argentina, offbeat Rhones must be better value.

I think the right red wine can work wonderfully with fish! Nerello is good with fish stews, and we had Pinot Noir with tuna before, which was delicious! Nerello is sometimes compared with Pinot Noir, tough I think it’s far less nuanced and more ‘herbal’.

Salamis, barbecued sardines and fish stews. We sometimes have it with pasta in tomato and red wine sauce into which we ‘chop’ grilled pork sausages.

Lambrusco now is not what it used to be. The late 70s/early 80’s saw a mass sell in to the states and the Uk by an American importer of cheap, sweet and low alcohol Lambrusco.
This is not what the real DOC Lambrusco is about.
There are I believe 6 different areas of production around the Modena area within Emillia-Romagna. My personal preference being Sorbara which is imho the best quality. It is fragrant but with a decent body and balanced acidity and tannin levels. I would also recommend Grassparossa which is more full bodied and tannic so good with heavier dishes.
As a general rule, I find Lambrusco great with classic Italian food, Lasagne, Italian meats and cheeses and my latest find Chilli! For chilli, I would look at a medium acidity or less wine especially if the chilli has a fair kick to it :+You should definitely try the “new style” Lambrusco1:

Anything from TWS that you rate?

This appears to be the only Lambrusco the society does and to be honest was not as enjoyable as others I have tasted. Cleto Chiarli do a lovely Sorbara…

https://www.chiarli.it/showPage.php?template=vini&masterId=10

Another member has previously attached a link with a whole list of different ones, but I cant seem to find it to link it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the M&S Lambrusco Reggiano last summer, but imagine it’ll be just as delicious in winter (what with snow falling on the Sussex Downs… might be absolutely gorgeous to have a sparkling dry red and contemplate life!)…

Okay: gonna order one from TWS [for fish?] and report back with thanks!

KR, mlm

Yes, acidity and medium to full body of the wine are key due to cayenne pepper, black pepper, and chipotle flakes.
KR, mlm