01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Up North

Are there any plans for events in northern uk cities?

https://www.thewinesociety.com/buy/tastings-and-events/taste-our-wines

If you keep an eye on the event page you will be able to see what’s on and where .
There is in fact an event now I’m assuming sold out for this coming Wednesday in Newcastle .

Oop North. Perhaps with a silent ‘t’ depending which side of t’ Pennines.

Norf?
I would be keen for an event in the fair city of Leeds… Ilkley even better :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Oooo there’s some good short climbing in Ilkley Quarry! :rofl: On God’s own rock: Yorkshire Grit! It’s been a while!

1 Like

I’m shortly going to move to Beverley (as in during the next month or two) so an event in Leeds, or York, or Hull early in 2022 would be great. (Or Beverley of course!)
I’ve noted from various posts that there seem to be a few forumites in that area so I hope to find some sort of wine goings-on in due course!

3 Likes

Leeds will do :slightly_smiling_face: The informal walk around wine tasting in January 2020 was excellent.

2 Likes

As a northerner who pronounces
all oos (double o) as in goon or the u in fluke, I have always been confused when people write oop north - how is that supposed to be pronounced and why? Genuine query, I am bemused.

I have also seen Gunners spelled as Gooners. Probably the same kind of thing. I genuinely have no idea what is going on. All clarifications welcome!

Living not far from Beverley, I add my vote to that location! Hull will do as well…

1 Like

My genuine bemusement comes from the general lumping together everything in an ill-defined somewhere-sort-of-not-The-Midlands to somewhere-not-quite-Scotland as ‘The North’ (using your best 1950’s BBC accent). I find it a really lazy shorthand.

It takes about 3 hours on a very good day to drive from Liverpool to Newcastle. It takes about 20 minutes more to drive to Reading. Coincidentally it takes around 3 hours to drive from Reading to Plymouth. You would never consider them in the same geographic regions.

NB I have no affiliations to Liverpool, Reading or Plymouth. :smiley:

2 Likes

Glad to see a healthy East Yorkshire contingent ….as long as there’s balanced mix north / south

1 Like

Well I have been trying to answer my own question and got lost down a Google rabbit hole of pronunciation symbols, RP etc. Fascinating stuff. ʊ is, I think , the source of oop as used by speakers of RP to indicate how to pronounce the northern u. I had never really paid much attention to pronunciation symbols before.

Time for the Community phonologists to reveal themselves!

1 Like

Thought I would have a look, came up with this, you have probably already seen this.

Ha, ha! I googled that song and sadly it wasn’t to the tune of Go West by the Pet Shop Boys which I instinctively sang along to the lyrics!

4 Likes

Just goes to show, among other things, how rubbish east/west transport links are in comparison with north/south ones.

3 Likes

I drive from Inverness to London quite regularly and people tend to be a little surprised that the half way mark is almost exactly on the border near Carlisle.

[We had a teenage lass (15) doing work experience in our Redhill lab a few years ago and she actually thought I had to take a ferry to get to Scotland! :scream: What do they teach kids in school these days!?]

3 Likes

Is there a tunnel as well? (Scunnel?)

1 Like

Hehe :rofl: :rofl:

The train between Leeds and Manchester in 2021 is precisely eight minutes faster than it was during the Victorian period. It still is not electrified.

4 Likes

You are in for a treat: I lived there for a few years in the 90’s. Nelly’s (the white horse) is your pub, fantastic fishmongers in Wednesday market, Beverley minster is crammed with history, its like a real cathedral but a lot smaller. In fact all the buildings are smaller because they used a different sized brick.

2 Likes