01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Unforgettable sweet wine

As for me, I tend to stick to sweet wines from the Old World. Malaga in southern Spain is the appelation to look for.

I’m a big fan of Berton wines (including the Reserve Shiraz, Reserve Cabernet and Bonsai). Their Botrytis Semillion out punches many a cheaper Barsac/Sauternes.

@NicolasWine I have for many years favoured mount horrocks cordon cut riesling as the perfect dessert wine.

https://www.exelwines.co.uk/mount-horrocks-cordon-cut-riesling-half-bottle-2018-1x375cl/

Made by Stephanie Toole partner of
Jeffrey Grosset

Rustenberg’s straw wine is worth a try and good value

https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/rustenberg-straw-wine-20269

why specifically from the new world ?

these are some of my Old world favs that are very different from Sauternes :

France - Some amazing sweet wines from the loire - Coteaux du Layon, Quarts de Chaume and Bonnezeaux. From Alsace and Germany - amazing SGN Riesling or Gewurtz. We regularly head to a Demi-sec champagne (we buy in halves) for those who don’t want a dessert but want to ‘join in’. Also the great wines from Maury

Italy - Moscato d’asti

Spain - agree on the wines from the Malaga area…but don’t forget PX sherry

One word: Tokay.

Sauternes and Tokay are THE sweet wines for me

Had this a few years ago and remember it being pretty fantastic:

https://shop.bosmanwines.com/products/16671-dolce-primitivo-2016-500ml/

Jurancon is wonderful and the W/S stock Domaine Cauhapé, who are the best producer there. (In fact good white wines at all sweetness levels)
https://jurancon-cauhape.com/

If you have a very sweet tooth the sweet wines of Rutherglen are worth a try (true Australian originals).

The new world often is a good source of inexpensive sweeties and the Rustenberg Straw wine is on my wishlist.

My ultimate sweet wine is Santorini Vinsanto, this example is as good as any, not cheap but not TBA price either, this one was fantastic

My first thought when I saw this thread was ‘Coteaux du Layon’. Such a delicious wine, and generally not too expensive either.

The other fantastic sweet wine that jumps to mind and hasn’t been mentioned in this thread yet is Rivesaltes. I had some of this at the press tasting a year ago and I think I can still taste it now.

Rivesaltes…how could I have forgotten ! Agree, good examples are great with some age

If you are particularly looking for new world you could try this:

But I would second @Bargainbobrecommnedation of a nice Coteaux du Layon.

I had a Coteaux du Layon in a restaurant last week, stunning. Not this one but Cady are a very good producer. What I like is the complexity, freshness and orchard fruit profile.

However, you asked about new world. So having never tasted it but based on the Platter 5* I’d say this should be stunning.

Thanks I will have a look for this one, pretty fan of Australian Riesling

I always feel those wine with too much alcohol , is it the case ?

I am a big fam of Camin Larredya in jurancon

Of course, a lot depends on what you’re planning to drink it with. Some matches are made in heaven - botrytized riesling with rhubarb, petit manseng with cooked pears and Rivesaltes or Moscato d’Asti with Eton Mess (as our Southwest Hants Wine and Food Appreciation Group found last Friday). I concur with most of the other suggestions, nearly all of which I’ve tried and greatly enjoyed. Like others, I’m a bit puzzled by the need to restrict it to the “New World”. If that’s really important, Canadian icewine is superb, as are several of the Australian and South African sweeties mentioned. And I must put in a plug for the many botrytized riesings from NZ and Churton Marlborough Petit Manseng 2016 (if you can find it).

difficult to believe this one is still in stock !
but will be putting one in my next order

Agree with all positive remarks about tokaji. It goes forever and older examples can be incredible.

Also I understand passito di pantelleria can be pretty amazing too. There’s a bottle of Ben Ryé by Donna Fugata is on my wish list.

Eiswein from Germany or Austria are wonderful (my most recent experience was a 2014 Grüner Veltliner Eiswein, which was so unctuous!), but they are not cheap. One of my favourite Sauternes ‘substitutes’ though continues to be a good Montbazillac. Excellent value for money - and all the flavours you would expect from a botrytised wine.

This one from the Society is phenomenally good:

I very much like the W/S Moscato D’Asti - it is 5% so I find it is a super pleasant and easy to drink after a big meal. Ideal with a dessert. Not A Sauternes or a Monbazzillac but a very nice and different approach to sweet wine.

Congratulations: New Member(s) of the Month

I bought a dozen half bottles of the 2012 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Auslese #14.

It’s not even close to it’s peak yet but I couldn’t resist opening one bottle and it was absolutely fantastic. I can’t wait to see what it will be like with at least another 10 years of age behind it.