01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

#TWSTaste: Fine Wine Trade Secrets

Hello everyone, and welcome to October’s #TWSTaste, where we’re trying out a Spanish pair from the current Fine Wine Trade Secrets offering. We’ll be kicking of proceedings at 8pm sharp this evening, but any pre-match banter is more than welcome.

Unfortunately I won’t be here tonight, as I am ‘otherwise engaged’ with The Benevolent (the drinks trade charity), but I’ll be posting up my usual introduction to the wines in a short while to give a bit of background before the tasting gets underway.

I hope you have a fab evening, and I look forward to catching up with it all later this evening or tomorrow. Enjoy!

NEW #TWSTaste: Fine Wine Trade Secrets, 18th October

The first wine tonight will be the Capricho Godello, Bierzo 2017

Godello%20bottle%20shot

Bodegas y Viñedos Gancedo is the grower, and here’s where you’ll find them.

Spain%20-%20Bierzo

Here’s what the grower says about the Bierzo DO, all ‘sic’:

“El Bierzo is a region located in the west of the province of León whose scenic and cultural value keep centuries of tradition and history.

“Rivers, valleys and mountains are natural concepts of Bierzo, a visual harmony where the Camino de Santiago through the vineyards is a journey through the dreams of the villages and converse with its inhabitants is the starting point for the ancestrale traditions.

“The rich cuisine is diverse and comes from the land. The botillo, roasted peppers, Reineta apple and of course wine are adequate sensory balance for an immersion in the culture and tradition of Bierzo.”

WIth regard to godello, according to Jancis’s Oxford companion:
“Godello — fine white grape variety native to north west Spain and northern Portugal rescued from near extinction in the 1980s and grown on more than 1,200 ha/2,964 acres of north west Spanish vineyard by 2011. As Godello it is responsible for well-structured, tense dry whites in valdeorras, although dna profiling suggested that it is identical to a Portuguese variety known as Gouveio in the Douro and also in Dão (where it was until recently known as Verdelho do Dão).”

Bodegas y Viñedos Gancedo cultivates 19 hectares of old vines that are up to 100 years old. They are growing mencía, godello and doña blanca. This godello comes from 4 hectares of 20-year-old bush vines in the steep Lamas de Picon vineyard on sandy and rocky soil.

There is no oak involved in the winemaking – it’s all stainless steel.

Our note says:

“A new find by Pierre this year, this is a superb godello which vies with albariño to be Galicia’s noble white grape. Unoaked, dry and steely with vibrant lemony fruit and a whistle-clean finish.”

Our suggested food matches are somewhat fishy: gazpacho, olive-based hors d’oeuvres, prawns, seafood salad, pasta and risotto.

The second wine tonight is Viña Zorzal Corral de Los Altos Garnacha, Navarra 2015

Antonio Sanz founded this estate in April 1989, with the help of two of his friends and fellow wine lovers, and it has gone on to achieve great popularity, particularly for its work with the lesser-known graciano grape native to the Navarra region. It is now run by the second generation of the Sanz family, brothers Xabi and Iñaki, who oversee sales and winemaking respectively. The brothers have injected a new lease of life into the portfolio, and were both responsible for creating the highly successful Zorzal wine range.

Sanz%20family

The modern winery is in the village of Corella, in the Ribero Baja area of Navarra, the region which borders Rioja. It is a fertile area known for its wine, fruit and farming, with a Mediterranean climate and sun-drenched slopes bordering the river Ebro, making for excellent grape growing conditions.

Spain%20-%20Zorzal

Zoom%20-%20Zorzal

The Sanz family has 70 hectares of vines, some of which – including the graciano and garnacha used for the Zorzal range we buy – are over 35 years old. As well as graciano and garnacha, the estate grows tempranillo, mazuelo, merlot and cabernet sauvignon.

In the winery, the team works hard to preserve the natural fruity character of its wines.

This Corral de los Altos is 100% garnacha from a tiny plot of 43-year-old vines, grown on just 2.1 hectares of rocky soil on the top of a high plateau where the northerly “cierzo” wind places a key role.

They harvest early, fermentation happens spontaneously with wild yeasts in 2000-litre wooden vats, before the wine is transferred into two-year-old French 225-litre barrels where it stays for nine months.

Our note says: From a tiny plot of old-vine garnacha, which produces a compelling Spanish red. A pure, flamboyant and very serious wine from the talented Zorzal team.

Our suggested food matches include: cottage pie, burgers, mixed grill, pie and mash, steak and kidney pudding … you’re getting the picture!

Wish I’d seen the suggested food matches before planning this evening’s grub. Would have been a great excuse to have some of those unhealthy comfort food items - ‘we’re only having this to do justice to the wine’!

I don’t have all that much choice as I am currently (for the next two months) living in a slightly more… constrained environment:

I’m living in my Motorhome down near Redhill for two months (as I do every year for work related reasons). So my culinary choices are a little more restricted than usual!

But I’m all good and I’m here with the wine! :smiley:

You have wi-fi in your motorhome? Impressive! How did you get the wines delivered . . . ?

I had the wines delivered to work (though I have brought a goodly selection down with me) and I use my mobile as a wifi hotspot. All works just fine!

I actually spend mid jan to mid april every winter in Chamonix working (all computer and internet based) and skiing, so I’m fairly used to long term stays in the ‘van.’

And yes I am a bit of an aged hippy… :smiley:

I can live anywhere as long as I’ve got a guitar :+1:

Living the live, Mike . . . travelling cellar as well!

Loving your setup, guitar, mandala and stemware all, Mike - great work! :slight_smile:

Would help if I could play even reasonably well. But I keep myself amused so long as I don’t impose it on others!

Slightly bizarrely the mandala bit is really post my hippy era; it was picked up in Kathmandu when out climbing in the Nepalese Himalaya some 18 odd years ago. It is now employed as a curtain to help keep heat in.

Time to get the dinner on now; pasta with Halloumi in a tomato and cream sauce with French hard cheeses and biscuit to follow. Not quite following the guidelines there but never mind!

I’m confident the wine will take them in its stride - please do let us know though! I’ve stayed on script (just about) and gone for veggie burgers…

I’ve just finished a very bog standard spag bol, couldn’t wait for the tasting to eat unfortunately as I went to the gym this morning and have been hungry all day since! But I do find it’s a meal that lingers taste wise so I’m hoping I’ll get an idea at least!

I’m waiting for Godello.

Oh and can I just say thanks for another interesting and informative write up! Thanks @Ewan!

Let us cook something, while we have the chance!

Excited to be taking part again - and trying to assist @martin_brown from a distance tonight.

I have to admit I’ve already had a couple of cheeky tastes along with dinner (had to eat with the kids) - you’re in for a treat if you’ve been good and resisted so far

That wouldn’t be Godellot but any chance?:wink:

We’ve used all our willpower keeping these bottles unopened so far today, despite a hectic afternoon. The Boy had a friend over to play: very exciting for them but also very exciting for Thing #1 and Thing #2, so it all got a bit emosh at one point and frankly I could have done with a quick glass or few. But it’s not a good look if you’ve been on the grog when classmate’s mum comes to pick him up :crazy_face:

But here we are! Glasses, bottles and corkscrew at the ready :guardsman::guardswoman:

I’ve just finished negotiating with 2 pint sized terrorists… :rofl: