01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

TWS Vintage Chart?

What has happened to TWS ‘fine wine vintage chart’ ?

Before the glorious website update, it was (1) easy to find the chart on the website (2) interactive, so if you clicked on 2010 Burgundy, it would take you to those wines still available at TWS (3) was fairly comprehensive & covered many fine wine types/ areas (4) went back decades - for port, sauternes etc. Generally a useful thing.

Now its impossible to find except via an external search engine, only goes back to 2000, is very limited in wine types… and is a dreary downloadable PDF.

6 Likes

I got sent a physical one the other day - it was in the “fine wine” brochure i think. I’ve just kept a few old ones to go further back, but that can’t really track evolution. I also miss the interactive links.

2 Likes

I really hope they bring it back someday, used to use that all the time!

2 Likes

There’s always Captain Bob Parker’s wine advocate chart, which is quite detailed. Though it makes me laugh that there are separate entries for Cote du Nuits, Cote de Beune, White Burgundy, and Beaujolais, but then the whole of Chile and Argentina each get a single entry. There are several thousand miles between Chile’s northern and southernmost wine growing regions!

5 Likes

The closest (I’m sure one probably copied the other!) to the old TWS one is the Berry Brothers one. Very easy to read, but unfortunately the links of course go to Berry’s wine rather than Wine Society wine.

2 Likes

My thanks to @Rio_Jano & @strawpig, both very useful charts ! bit of a shame that the UK’s biggest importer of wine doesn’t have something similar any more

Perhaps it’s a pain to do all the data input to make a new chart interactive? or maybe it’s on the website developer’s wishlist. Can @Kelly perhaps shed some light - because although I didn’t use it much, it was VERY helpful on the odd occasion.

6 Likes

Agree with all of the above particularly the stock linkage

1 Like

I’ll do some digging and try to find out!

4 Likes

Our web team has advised that this is unlikely to be coming back into a digital format in the near future, but they will look in to producing an alternative version of the content that is a little more user-friendly for the time being.

1 Like

Thanks Kelly, that’s good of them. By “a little more user friendly” I’m hoping they will make it possible to find in the first place? - there isn’t actually a path on the website, to get to the page that offers the PDF download !

3 Likes

Go to Buy, then Fine Wine and Storage, then it is under Discover Fine Wine. Not exactly obvious though!

1 Like

I find it easier just to take the little card out of my wallet. You’d think TWS could provide something more comprehensive on the website.

2 Likes

As always, Google will find it (although some of their references now are to the Community: clearly we are easier to use than the main website).

1 Like

Thanks Mike - seems to be in plain sight! no idea why I couldn’t find it earlier.

1 Like

It will probably be removed altogether “because very few people visit the page”.

Well I only stumbled on it one day after giving up looking for it! I certainly never would have thought of looking there! :rofl:

I’ve put a note about this on the ‘I love the website but…’ topic because it is another example of how useless the search is.

1 Like