01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

TWS Ulysse Pauillac

Now due in 30 Nov. Placed an order last night with a delivery date of Feb, I reconciled that it was fine to spend more money on wine if I didn’t have to pay for it until next year, oops!

5 Likes

Two words… Rhone EP… you may regret this :joy:

8 Likes

And this is all before my finger slips on a Decantalo order in December :joy::joy:

5 Likes

I cant BELIEVE how many of us have such uncoordinated fat fingers! :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I thought I’d asked people to stop posting actual footage of me!

6 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Decantalo/Vinissimus pre- Christmas ordering

Ordered half a dozen yesterday evening, said they’d be delivered in December. Just hope they’re as good as some are saying they are. I must admit I find it difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff when it comes to reading reviews. For example currently The Society is selling a wonderful Corbier (Chateau Trillol) at £6.95, best bottle of wine I’ve bout for 7 quid in the last 20 years and yet a few members have criticised it pretty harshly.

3 Likes

I ordered 2 Trillols, and as you note some varied comments but the favourable beat out the negatives so let’s see. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I ordered half a dozen to be delivered in December on the basis of this thread. I hope it’s as good as recommended, but am now wondering whether to move them to reserves for a good few years.

I think they will be drinking well now, but think they are generally singing at about 10 years when they are roughly in the middle of their window.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @Drainhole - I think you’ve got to go with your experience and gut-feel about a wine when reviewing it. Others may have had a bad bottle or not be drinking it at the best temperature or they’re just having an iffy day. It always amazes me how often the reviews seem so polarised.

4 Likes

I think there are 2 main issues regarding the wine reviews.
Firstly there’s nowt as odd as folk. A good friend of mine used to work as a computer scientist earning a fortune for 6 months of the year and then as a holiday rep for the other 6 months of the year for the oportunities it afforded with the opposite sex. He was both a very clever and amiable guy and did well in both proffessions. He told how he’d often need to bump people up from 3 to 5 star hotels due to error in taking bookings and yet these folk would still complain bitterly about it.
Secondly the the performance of most folks taste buds is well lower than they give them credit for. On a tour around Chateauneuf-du-Pape a few years ago we popped into a well known Domaine for a tasting. We were followed in by an exceptionally well healed group of American lawyers who talked a good fight and seemed to know what they were on about and quite honestly made this boy from the backwaters of Berkshire worry a little as to whether he’d be able to hold his own in such impressive company. As I’m sure many others have discovered before me touring chateaus in France tasting wine, one gets given an awful lot of oxidised samples to try as they just don’t get the throughput to finish the bottle before it goes off. All three cuvees they gave us were oxidised and beyond drinking yet the Americans went into deep analysis of the samples.
Who can you trust!!!???.

7 Likes

Welcome to The Wine Society Community @Drainhole. !

Especially the much older bottles. A couple of years ago I opened a 1982 Graund Larose (spelling?) Which smelt like vinegar when opened and I nearly poured it down the sink. Instead I poured it into a jug and left it for 7 or 8 hours and by the time we drank it it had turned into something of great beauty.

6 Likes

Well done. How many wines must I have wasted?

Gruaud-Larose.

1 Like

So far I’ve always kept in the decanter (eto) for 24 hours before pouring down the sink. And so far have only actually gone ahead with the pouring with one older wine; a very sad disposal of a '97 Musar not so long ago. Though a couple of younger ones have gone down.

3 Likes

I feel physically sick, even just writing this but around ten years ago, I poured a bottle of Jayer Échezeaux down the sink, on the basis that I thought that it was either corked or past its best. Maybe it was but I have ongoing nightmares that I was a little too hasty and that had I let it breathe, as @MikeFranklin suggested, for another twenty-four hours, it may have been a different story.

The same wine is now listed for between £6-10,000, per bottle, on Wine-searcher.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/henri+jayer+grand+cru+echezeaux+flagey+cote+de+nuit+burgundy+france/1993

My sole consolation is that I had previously consumed three bottles of the same wine, from a shared en primeur case and thus, can confidently state that it is far and away the greatest wine that I have ever or will ever likely taste. I will also, never again be so foolish as to assume, that such a great wine is spoiled until I have given it at least a day to settle.

9 Likes

I had two bottles of the same wine. Didn’t know how desirable they were - drunk them probably at about ten years old. Can’t remember a single thing about them (and I’ve a pretty good memory for anything memorable).

2 Likes

When I purchased them, at a Bibendum EP tasting, I was pretty much a novice to fine wine and had been invited along by a friend of my father and one of his colleagues, both of whom were far more experienced in these things than me. I had little knowledge of any Burgundy, let alone wines of this stature. However, it blew all of us away and even though £30 or thereabouts, per bottle, was quite a lot to me at that time, it was so sensational that it didn’t take much time to think about it.

I consumed my three bottles between around 2000 and 2010 and the depth, balance and above all, the finish, which went on for ever and a day, are unlike anything that I have ever consumed since then. I don’t know whether you had dud or even fake bottles but it does seem strange that you are unable to recall anything, good or bad, about what was truly a remarkable wine. Such a shame.

2 Likes