01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

TWS Exhibition St Aubin

I have some TWS Exhibition St Aubin from the 2014 vintage, having bought a case. Have to confess that a few that I’ve had have been… a bit underwhelming. I have a hunch that really, they’re still a bit too young - and TWS drink dates are known for being cautious.

I first tasted this wine, I think, when I attended a TWS meeting with members - though a considerably earlier vintage - and it was very good.

I notice, though that the 2016 vintage is getting mixed reviews. Do these wines need time - I’d welcome any thoughts!

In my experience, yes, they need time. It’s a fairly standard expectation for certain white Burgundies - they show as immediately attractive though lose that puppy-fat to become a bit nondescript. This rectifies itself (usually) in due course. Think somewhere around the 5 year mark for a St. Aubin so you should start to notice an improvement - albeit gradual - sometime soon.

No guarantees though. Sometimes things just stay uninteresting. But this is a Henri Prudhon wine I seem to recall, and they usually come round in my experience. In fact they are usually good for a good few years. I’ve got a couple of cases from the mid-2000s which are drinking beautifully.

So funny. When you replied to my post above, I got alert that seemingly says what your real name is (incidentally… did you know this; if Ghost was a pseudonym for reasons of confidentiality and [x]B is a real name… it’s not very confidential… wonder if people realise this… I didn’t…??).

Anyway, not only thanks for the reply but if you’re the same person I think you are , I hope you’re well my friend, we must catch up, and it now all makes sense why, on other threads, I’ve been saying “nothing to add to what Ghost of T” says!!

If you’re someone else, apologies, apologies of course.

If you click on someone’s avatar you will see a summary including both their User Name (top) and their Display Name (below it). If you want to remain totally anonymous then make sure your real name is in neither of those fields in your ‘preferences’. Personally I’m tired of anonymous user names which is why my user name is MikeFranklin and my Display name is Mike Franklin :wink: :smiley:

I guess the alert shows the Display name.

Yes, I was surprised the first time I got an alert about a reply to see the real name displayed, and then discover, as noted below, that you can click on any name and find the real name. Not sure why the Community bothers with display names when the real names are available for anyone who cares? Any reason?

I purchase a case of white burgundy most years - nothing amazing but Olivier leflaive and JC Bachelet normally.

I have found in virtually all cases a “dip” somewhere around year 3 in bottle and lasting for 1 to 2 years

Recently tried a 2013 Bachelet St Aubin 1er Cru has just come out of that phase and now drinking brilliantly…it probably had 18 months of “mutedness” - not bad just not showing to its full potential

@GuidoD - yes, I’m not trying to be anonymous, my real name is available to everyone here as you have discovered! My choice of User Name was more motivated by a sense of fun then anything, though I do have enormous respect for the work of Thomas Tallis. I doubt if he ever got to taste a St. Aubin though.

Back on topic…I had a case of 2011 St Aubin 1er Cru (not via WS). I probably drank a couple of bottles too young, and the last bottle I had about a year ago I reckon it was just about at its peak. I’ve got a couple left.

I recall that the earlier bottles drunk were a bit austere and one dimensional. 5 years I reckon before it comes together. We drank it last year alongside a Kumeu River from 2014 and the evolution was about similar although the Burgundy was 3 years older.