01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

TWS Exhibition St Aubin Blanc 2014

Just wondered if anybody here has tried this, and what they make if it. I’m particularly interested in how it’s expected to evolve!

1 Like

I suspect it is reaching its peak. Whilst some white 2014s were outstanding a village st Aubin near 7 years is unlikely to get much better. It may develop a touch more over next 12 months but I would be drinking it now.

1 Like

Interesting, and thanks for commenting, especially since I enjoy your insights.

I first had one about three years ago, and it seemed closed and young, inert. It’s better now.

But I’ve enjoyed considerably older Prudhons, it’s under DIAM, and it is of course from a top vintage.

I have quite a few more and I think it’s still very youthful… But at the same time you wouldn’t want to over shoot!

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. The reality is, as I should have mentioned, is that in 12 months time it isn’t going to fall over, so don’t feel obligated to finish your last few before next spring!

2 Likes

I was about to ask if it was under Diam. If so I wouldn’t rush - I’ve some St Aubin in storage (from Colin-Morey) and I’m not rushing to withdraw. I think the acidity will make keeping not an issue.

1 Like

I’ve yet to start on my 2014 PYCM BBs

1 Like

PYCM, now, there’s a name to conjure with. In my view he is the next Coche-Dury in terms of quality. Had some of his 2017 Bourgogne blanc this evening. Beats quite a few village Pulignys. His 2014s will evolve over next 2 years.

2 Likes

I’ve just arranged to have my 2010 St Aubins delivered! The 2007s are in a perfect spot (for me at least).

2 Likes

Incidentally my 2014 Fichet BB (not VV) tasted ever so slightly tired a few months ago.

Agree re PYCM. I have a little Caroline Morey and wonder how similar they will be.

They did not suffer from the dreaded Prem-ox?

Old and in the way is a good description of my wine collection!! Much as I love it!

This is probably a hostage to fortune but I’ve never had a premoxed PYCM.

1 Like

Neither have I, apologies I had not appreciated yours were PYCMs.his corks and wax seals are very effective.

1 Like

And I’ve had to tip away plenty of Sauzet, Colin-Deleger and Morey-Coffinet bottles.

I think it may be high sulphur regime too!

2 Likes

I don’t know his SO2 g/l as I have never seen any of his specifications. I did not think they were available?

Oh dear…

The remaining half bottle of TWS Exhibition, kept half full in the fridge overnight, was this lunchtime as good or perhaps even slightly better. I wonder if this has a good few years of improvement ahead of it… But somehow don’t feel confident in this guess.

2 Likes

On balance I think it unlikely that a village level St Aubin 2014 now has “a good few years” of improvement ahead of it. That implies at least 3-5 years. My feeling is that it may get slightly better of over the next year or so but in the general scheme of things I think now to mid 2022 is its optimum. After that it will stay at a level for a year or so and then very gently start to fade.
I am basing this on my own experience of various St Aubin’s from 2013 onwards plus tasting notes of other experts who skills are infinitely greater than mine!

2 Likes

That’s what my head says, too! That’s exactly why I don’t trust my palate. And am worrying if I have post pox paranoia or diam underestimation or am just wrong! All said with utter humility! :smile:

1 Like